Motoring Discussion > Sat-Nav Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 18

Sat-Nav - devonite
Went down to a very isolated place yesterday, in the Celtic wastelands of North Wales, to pick-up a 30yr old Landrover County that a friend had "Won"? on Ebay.
He borrowed another Friends Garmin Sat-Nav, and this was the first time either of us have actually seen one "working in anger".
I have to confess that We were very impressed! - it took us to 100yds of our destination, and we never so much even thought of looking at the map book we had also taken.
Every road or lane-end we passed corresponded accurately to the vehicle position on the screen, and it flashed up speed cameras that we didn`t even know were there! There was however about a 10mph difference in the speed the Sat-Nav indicated and the speedo, I thought the Sat-nav was the more accurate, but friend disagreed, as he was once done for speeding at 36 in a 30, and the speedo was spot-on (he said).
 Sat-Nav - idle_chatterer
My new Aussie Garmin lady makes some amazingly funny attempts at pronunciation e.g. Anglesea (in Victoria) = Ang-glais-y-er. How we chuckle.

I worry as I travel kms (Miles) down roads with no other traffic, thinking it's taking me off the edge of the Earth, however -like the OP, it generally gets me within metres (yards) of my destination.

Microchip technology.....
 Sat-Nav - Zero

>> He borrowed another Friends Garmin Sat-Nav, and this was the first time either of us
>> have actually seen one "working in anger".
>> I have to confess that We were very impressed! - it took us to 100yds
>> of our destination, and we never so much even thought of looking at the map
>> book we had also taken.
>> Every road or lane-end we passed corresponded accurately to the vehicle position on the screen,
>> and it flashed up speed cameras that we didn`t even know were there!

Welcome to the 21st century.
 Sat-Nav - Robbie34
Some years ago I had to go to the HSBC bank in Toulouse from my holiday home near Gourdon. I set the coordinates in my Garmin Nuvi and was taken to a business park near Toulouse airport. I had imagined that the bank would be on a high street near the centre of Toulouse. I couldn't have been more wrong. The bank was situated in a building in the business park. Although I had had the Nuvi for a couple of years, this was the first time that I had to totally rely on it. I would never have found the bank without the Nuvi. Friends who came with me were greatly impressed.
 Sat-Nav - Old Navy
While I agree that satnavs are clever bits of kit but they can suffer from rubbish in / out. When we are planning a pensioner roam around I check the exact locations we want to visit on Google maps and enter that information into the satnav. Handy if you are in an urban area you are not familiar with, I usually put in the nearest car park.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 19 Nov 12 at 11:01
 Sat-Nav - movilogo
>> I have to confess that We were very impressed!

So you are impressed by a bog standard sat nav's performance in 2012?

What next? You might be impressed by the fact that you can now check your emails in phone as well (and can download free sat nav apps in phones too)?

;-)

Sat-Nav - devonite
>>So you are impressed by a bog standard sat nav's performance in 2012?

Yep! - and it was in colour!

???>>What next? You might be impressed by the fact that you can now check your emails in phone as well (and can download free sat nav apps in phones too)?

Can you!!! - show me on my 3310! ;-)

Well we`ve gone back to the "Dark-Ages" - he`s been forced to hand it back!! ;-(
 Sat-Nav - R.P.
Should have mentioned it we'd have slaughtered something and rustled up a brew over a camp-fire for you ! :-)
 Sat-Nav - R.P.
@ the OP - I live in the "watselands" - sat nav is occasionally useful around here - even for finding addresses in known areas. Wouldn't be without it. But I would happily give a tenner to the usual cahrites if you found my house using Sat Nav !
 Sat-Nav - CGNorwich
Give me the co-ordinates and I'll drive straight to it.
 Sat-Nav - Zero
>> Give me the co-ordinates and I'll drive straight to it.

I suspect you may have to deviate slightly, there are wet bits and railway lines in the way from time to time.
 Sat-Nav - Duncan
>> @ the OP - I live in the "watselands" - sat nav is occasionally useful
>> around here - even for finding addresses in known areas. Wouldn't be without it. But
>> I would happily give a tenner to the usual cahrites if you found my house
>> using Sat Nav !
>>

You aren't doing these typos on purpose, are you - perchance?
 Sat-Nav - R.P.
I was multitasking in-between calls and talking to people in a semblance of paying attention - something had to give..!
 Sat-Nav - bathtub tom
I only use mine rarely, but it was necessary for locating the scrap-yard in Sheffield this morning for the KIA's replacement gearbox.

Fifty quid? I paid that much for the car! Add in the petrol for the 300 mile round trip, forty quid for a clutch and the oil seals I'll replace. I may be losing out in the bangernomics league.
 Sat-Nav - hawkeye
Sell the gearboxless car and gearbox on Ebay, write off the petrol as holiday expenses and get that complete car off Ebay. Potentially less work and you'll be a credible Bangernomicist again.
 Sat-Nav - henry k
Who needs Sat Nav when you have a wife

"Take the next turn on the left .........just back there"

( A borrowed statement. I would not dare to say it )
 Sat-Nav - bathtub tom
>>Who needs Sat Nav when you have a wife

SWMBO tends to say 'this way' and 'that way' just when I'm trying to negotiate a tricky moment with vehicles everywhere.
 Sat-Nav - Clk Sec
Did Rattle ever give us the low-down on his new Garmin?
 Sat-Nav - lancara
Local roads in Spain are designated by an abbreviation for the local province, e.g., Lugo has the LU512. When travelling through Valladolid my Garmin shows its American ancestry by pronouncing a turn on to the VA623 as "Virginia 623"
Last edited by: lancara on Wed 28 Nov 12 at 16:09
Latest Forum Posts