Motoring Discussion > Battery advice Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 55

Battery advice - Rudedog
I think I may be in the market for a new car battery soon, my present one, that is the original, is just over 6 1/2 years old and has never let me down so far, but this morning I just had that slight hesitancy that made me think it could be on the way out.

I sort of know what battery I want/need and have found a site that seems to do them at a very good price that includes delivery.

Now I just wanted to know do batteries have a self life before they have to be used/recycled? I'd like to think that I'm going to receive a fairly newly made one but if it's already a couple of years old then it will surely affect how long it's going to keep me happy.
 Battery advice - Dave_
I've never had a car's second battery fail on me. Whenever I've bought a car battery it's never been more than a few weeks old - they don't bear a date of manufacture but do bear a date of first charging. We are now in week 47/2012 so I would expect a first charge date somewhere in the low 40s when buying a new one.
 Battery advice - -
>> I've never had a car's second battery fail on me.

Bosch Silver surprisingly failed on the old faithful @ around 2 years, 4 year warranty and changed without quibble by GSF, replacements replacement has been fine.

Rudedog might have a point though, those battery displays sometimes seen in the waiting areas of tyre depots etc you see years of accumulated dust on them...hopefully they are only dummy display items but i've often wondered.

Not suggesting you should buy there RD, but Eurocarparts had something like 30% off their already good prices recently, might be worth a poke nose see if that offers still on, they sell Bosch and Banner as far as i recall.
 Battery advice - henry k
>>Bosch Silver surprisingly failed on the old faithful @ around 2 years, 4 year warranty
>>
Bosch Silver surprisingly failed on my Mondeo at 3 years & 3 weeks with a 3 year waranty.

My trusted factors sold me a battery that they stock for Transits.
( We would soom get complaints from those cystomers if they were no good!!!)
There were few references to the type100 but it was the right size and seems fine.
 Battery advice - Fullchat
Difficult call. I have always been of the opinion that the retailers will have a low stock turnover until the first really cold snap when they will sell like hot cakes and they will replace their stocks from the manufacturer with fresh batteries.
 Battery advice - carmalade
You have not mentioned car make or model,but I would strongly suggest that you check out main dealer prices first.Vauxhall,VAG,Toyota are very competetive on battery prices.hth
 Battery advice - Rudedog
Thanks, I was going to give my dealer a ring just to check their price first, my Golf 2.0 TDi has a Varta battery as standard, and I can buy the correct top spec Blue version for £67.75 (4 years warranty) delivered which seems pretty good, I was expecting it to be over £100.
 Battery advice - Lygonos
Got a new battery for the FRV from Honda on a Saturday morning for £66.30 a few weeks ago - came nicely boxed up packed in 'cat litter'.

Nowt wrong with the original, had just been flatted by one of the bairns leaving an interior light on.

Battery advice - -
ISTR Varta having a lifetime warranty, or is that for their gold plated range or something.

Either way i'm surprised its failing, the huge Varta on our old 940td estate my Sis still runs refuses to fail (as does the rest of the car) despite her jump starting her Volvo artic with it every winter when the computerised wonder machine goes flat over winter breaks if she forgets to turn it off at the mains...goodness knows how the voltages work out during that practice, Volvo 940td must be one of the toughest simplest trouble free cars ever made, nothing ever packs up.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 19 Nov 12 at 22:07
 Battery advice - Falkirk Bairn
The battery coughed earlier today and you are off buying a new battery!
3 years ago my son's Lexus battery was flat.

Took off terminals, cleaned greased, gave it a 1-2 hr charge and it was fine............replaced about 2 months ago as it was terminal but he eeeked out 2 years more by little more than cleaning contacts and charging the bttery to get the car started.

I'd give the existing battery a chance but keep £60-£80 in reserve, just in case it is a replacement that is required.
 Battery advice - Lygonos
On the other hand, if going out to your car on the next freezing morning could cost you £60-80 (either in lost wages or an enforced day of annual leave) go and get a new battery now ;-)

It's a bit like changing the timing belt, although the cost and consequences are obviously smaller... you can put it off but eventually you get caught out (although it may be next week or in 10 years).
Last edited by: Lygonos on Mon 19 Nov 12 at 22:18
 Battery advice - Rudedog
That's just what I was thinking, I thought I'd buy the battery now and keep it safe in the garage until I need it, but the trouble is that could be next week or next year and I don't know if that's the best thing to do.
 Battery advice - Lygonos
If it's been getting lots of very short journeys with all the electrics running, then a bench charge-up might be wise (can also check the electrolyte levels are fine).

However, as a battery costs about the same as an oil change for many modern machines I'd not lose much sleep about buying a new one for peace of mind.

I'd then bench charge the old one and keep it indoors so if there is a charging fault you'll have a nice, warm ready-to-go back up.
 Battery advice - Rudedog
Sounds like a good idea, although I may upgrade to the Varta Silver at £81.75 which seems more suitable for diesel applications, still not bad I think.
 Battery advice - Fullchat
Do it now. You know it makes sense. Over 6 years is a good run. Do you really want that sickening slow turning or even just a click on that freezing cold morning when all you want to do is get going and get the heater on.
 Battery advice - Zero
>> Sounds like a good idea, although I may upgrade to the Varta Silver at £81.75
>> which seems more suitable for diesel applications, still not bad I think.

Dont buy one, go round Clk Secs place, he is giving away perfectly good batteries.
 Battery advice - Clk Sec
>> Dont buy one, go round Clk Secs place, he is giving away perfectly good batteries.

:-)
 Battery advice - Duncan

>> Dont buy one, go round Clk Secs place, he is giving away perfectly good batteries.
>>

Lygonos is giving away good batteries as well!
 Battery advice - Zero
Can we have a "good batteries - new home" section on this site?
 Battery advice - VxFan
>> Can we have a "good batteries - new home" section on this site?

We'll have to charge for it.
 Battery advice - Zero
>> >> Can we have a "good batteries - new home" section on this site?
>>
>> We'll have to charge for it.

Thats shocking.
 Battery advice - VxFan
Stop being so negative.
 Battery advice - Clk Sec
Looks like Zero is trying to Start another 'silly thread' here. Well, he seems to be Pushing things in that direction...
 Battery advice - swiss tony
>> Looks like Zero is trying to Start another 'silly thread' here. Well, he seems to
>> be Pushing things in that direction...
>>

You know that at times he has an acid tongue
 Battery advice - Zero
You all seem to be alternatoring between positive and negative.
 Battery advice - swiss tony
Come on Zero... lead the way!
 Battery advice - Robin O'Reliant
We've got the usual trickle of puns for from those who are ever ready with their acid wit.
 Battery advice - No FM2R
There's always some bright spark willing to start things.
Back in the old days people could have handled this.
 Battery advice - Zero
Thats it everyone always starts to jump on me.
 Battery advice - No FM2R
if they do, it'll be terminal, I'm positive.
Maybe you just need a firm kick?
 Battery advice - R.P.
....in the anodes...
 Battery advice - Zero
I am not turning over
>> I am not turning over
>>
High tension leading to problems?
 Battery advice - Clk Sec
>>Maybe you just need a firm kick?

Or a new handle.
 Battery advice - VxFan
>> Thats it everyone always starts to jump on me.

Well you're so easily lead.
 Battery advice - Lygonos
>> Lygonos is giving away good batteries as well!

Nah, he's keeping one in the boiler room for when it might be needed.

(ie when the eejits leave interior lights on next time)

ISTR Bench-charging a completely flat battery is better for its longevity than a jump start and letting the alternator do the rest.
 Battery advice - sherlock47
Lygonos

Do the medical profession still get generous tax allowances for second 'standby' cars in case of call out emergencies. A GP aquaintance managed to run his Porsche convertable at a minimal cost to himself on this basis several years ago.

maybe you can claim for a standby battery:)

Battery advice - Lygonos
pmh

No more than any other self-employed person.

He'd likely have a tattered hoop if the Revenue audited him, but that's probably the case for a significant portion of the self-employed.

In fact, with respect to one's 'official' vehicle the maximum you can count against tax is a purchase price of £12,000 (I think the write-down allowance is 30% each year).

Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 20 Nov 12 at 16:37
 Battery advice - bathtub tom
Have you a motor factors nearby?

Any half decent one would be able to test your battery and give you a good price for a new one, far better than any of these quick-fit/halfords jobbies.

Battery advice - Clk Sec
Since an ageing battery died a very sudden death, leaving my wife stranded at traffic lights on a busy main road back in the 90's, I have made a point automatically replacing batteries when they have been used for five years.

The last three were bought from Halfords.
 Battery advice - Focusless
When I was looking for a battery for stepson's Yaris a few weeks ago there seemed to be lots to choose from. But when I checked the dimensions of the 'compatible' models, in the end I only found one that actually fitted the 'plate' where it sat in the engine; luckily it was about the cheapest.
Last edited by: Focusless on Tue 20 Nov 12 at 08:03
 Battery advice - Cliff Pope
Batteries used to be supplied dry to the distributor, who filled them with acid prior to sale.
But presumably now they are sealed for life and unopenable that no longer happens.

In my experience it's always handy having a spare battery, but then we have several cars which spreads the extravagance. I'd get a new one now, before winter, and then keep the old one ready charged just in case.
Even if it's the wrong size for another car, if in doubt it's reassuring to pop a spare battery and some jump leads in the boot just in case.
 Battery advice - Dog
>>unopenable<<

Word of the Day.

:}
 Battery advice - henry k
>> When I was looking for a battery.... there seemed to be lots to choose from. But when I checked the dimensions of the 'compatible' models, in the end I only found one that actually fitted the 'plate' where it sat in the engine; luckily it was about the cheapest.
>>
Ford updated the charging system in Mondeos many years ago and specifield Silver Calcium batteries.
Many cheaper batteries will fit my car. When I phoned around I was quoted various prices. One lass was surprised when I said " I was not happy with her prices".
I said " They are far to cheap, in fact about half price!" Of course she was quoting for a standard battery.
I assume "ordinary batteries will work in the Mondeo but not sure what the smart charging does to the life of the battery. RTFM ?
 Battery advice - Shiny
Don't forget to weigh in the old battery, I got £8 for mine last winter, so should be £8.80 this year.
 Battery advice - Rudedog
Do you mean someone will buy my old one? I thought you just took them to the Council tip and put them in the recycling cage.
 Battery advice - Zero
Scrappy will pay you for it.
 Battery advice - Clk Sec
>> Scrappy will pay you for it.
>>

No need for that. Halfords gave me a £2.00 voucher when I replaced the OE battery on my current barge with one of theirs, and I used it 5 years later when I subsequently replaced that one.

Pounds and pennies...

Battery advice - corax
>> You have not mentioned car make or model,but I would strongly suggest that you check
>> out main dealer prices first.Vauxhall,VAG,Toyota are very competetive on battery prices.hth

If mine show's signs of croaking*, I'll try this. It's a Varta - I'd look for one of these anyway, good batteries.

* it's turned over a bit slow some mornings and not always when very cold. Think I'll wait for a few more signs before I bite the bullet. Five years old but the cars' done 92k. The starter motor tends to spin a bit slower on this Avensis than my BMW anyway. I've noticed that Subaru's spin over slowly before firing - it's just how they are.
 Battery advice - Lygonos
Could be fragments of DMF on the starter slowing it down.
 Battery advice - R.P.
A kid round here was caught drinking battery acid - the Police charged him...
 Battery advice - PeterS
>> A kid round here was caught drinking battery acid - the Police charged him...
>>

And put him in a cell?
 Battery advice - VxFan
>> A kid round here was caught drinking battery acid - the Police charged him...

I knew his mate with the firework up his bum.

The police let him off.
 Battery advice - Zero
>> >> A kid round here was caught drinking battery acid - the Police charged him...
>>
>> I knew his mate with the firework up his bum.
>>
>> The police let him off.

But his boss fired him.
Latest Forum Posts