Motoring Discussion > Mitsubishi Charisma Buying / Selling
Thread Author: nice but dim Replies: 35

Mitsubishi Charisma - nice but dim
Just a quick question as I'm at work!

What would be the value to buy from a car sales dealer of a 2002 (52) Mitsubishi Charisma 1.6 Mirage? I think it has 75,000 ish on the clock and has had a recent cambelt/water pump replacement and is Silver in colour.

Does any one have any good/bad thoughtsand reliability on these as a practical everyday family car, not so much as what hadling is like that it hasnt got tyre shredding performance!
 Mitsubishi Charisma - Zero
Its worth about a grand, the dealer will try and relieve you of anything between 1 - 2 grand.

Its a boringly reliable easy to fix car, watch out for rust.

Under no circumstances go anywhere near a 1.8 GDI version.
It's this one, going to have a look tonight

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-MITSUBISHI-CARISMA-MIRAGE-SILVER-/190760905591?_trksid=p2045573.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111000%26algo%3DREC.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D27%26meid%3D3755722956252891270%26pid%3D100033%26prg%3D1011%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D281030312134%26

What do you think?
 Mitsubishi Charisma - DP
Might be being dense, but where does it say the mileage? It says it was serviced at 70k, but can't see anything to tell me what the current mileage is.
Yes I saw that, called and been told 78k.
looks like a goodun to me dont overpay for it tho.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 27 Nov 12 at 13:04
Zero - you are bang on the money, a call revealed he will take 1k for it privately

Dont tell ebay!
 Mitsubishi Charisma - Duncan
>> It's this one, going to have a look tonight

>>
>> What do you think?
>>

How can the selling dealer say 'no returns'?
 Mitsubishi Charisma - Dog
Try these guvnor:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201211204301001/

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mitsubishi/carisma-1995/

www.parkers.co.uk/cars/reviews/owners-reviews/mitsubishi/carisma/hatchback-1999/
 Mitsubishi Charisma - DP
The name has to be deliberately ironic. Doesn't it?
 Mitsubishi Charisma - John H
>> The name has to be deliberately ironic. Doesn't it?
>>

Which is why they spelt it "Carisma" without the "h".
 Mitsubishi Charisma - Focusless
>> www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mitsubishi/carisma-1995/

"A modest car with a great deal to be modest about." :)
(Might be my next motor!)
 Mitsubishi Charisma - diddy1234
I had one. a 1.6l GL (before they brought out a classic version)

Very reliable, in four years ownership I only had to replace one headlight bulb.

Built very well but I have heard a few mitsi owners saying it was the worst car that Mitsubishi had made.

Fuel economy was ok but not brilliant.
The 1.8l had better fuel economy. I suspect the 1.6l was a little underpowered for the body.

Acres of room and very comfy to be sat in.

Of all of the cars I have owned the Carisma is the only car I regretted getting rid of.
It wasn't a brilliant car but it was just honest car that turned out to be cheap with nothing going wrong.
 Mitsubishi Charisma - Focusless
>> Built very well but I have heard a few mitsi owners saying it was the
>> worst car that Mitsubishi had made.

Weren't some people worried by the fact it was built in the Netherlands?
It carries the stigma of that 1.8 gdi engine, unless run on high octane petrol with detergents all its life it would gum and coke up in an instant.
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 27 Nov 12 at 13:07
 Mitsubishi Charisma - Alanovich
>> It carries the stigma

Wasn't that a Mitsubishi model name in the 80s? The Mitsubishi Stigma?
 Mitsubishi Charisma - Alanovich
All 3 Dutch built cars I've had (Volvo 360, Volvo 480, Volvo 360 again), have all been (and one still is ) terrific.
 Mitsubishi Charisma - Dutchie
There you are we are good at something besides making clogs.
Right then, its bought well £100 deposit down. Pickup later this after he has sorted a broken door mirror glass and replaced a rear brake bulb. Mileage acually 71,000 and backup by MOTs and HPI check - all clear.

Impressions were very good.

Interior - Immaculate apart from a small blemish on the door card fabric rear drivers side door. Aircon blows icy cold , all electrics (what there is) work fine and the trip displayed 36.2mpg so looks like an econimical car for size and the fact that its petrol.

Exterior - Again very good, there were 2 small trolley type paint chips (top layer only) on one of the doors and they rear arches were showing signs on forming rust but been assured by my Dad that these can be caught in time and put better. Alloys one scuff and nothing else really. Paint finish very shiny. Tyres had plenty of meat on them.

Oily bits - Looked under bonnet, usual grime but looks honest. Started fine, and idled smoothly and quietly. No signs of any smoking oil or leaks.

Driving - Had a small drive around the industrial estate and the clutch, gearbox felt fine. A bit more turning lock on what I'm used to but I'll get the hang of it.

So best bit was cliching it for £950 and has MOT until October 13 and has tax until end of this year. A very nice car all round and I think a nice buy.

Zero - boringly reliable, I'll hold you to that!
 Mitsubishi Charisma - -
Well played NBD.

I've got a soft spot for these, some of the smaller (Thrifty?) rental companies used them and i thought of them as good standard all round car with few niggles or silly electronics, would have made a useful estate.

Underneath they are virtually identical to Volvo S40, again seemingly ignored and undervalued.
Is there any point advertising my Mazda MX3 V6 on here?
 Mitsubishi Charisma - VxFan
>> Is there any point advertising my Mazda MX3 V6 on here?

Well it's free and you've nothing to lose but your time doing it.
 Mitsubishi Charisma - mikeyb

>> I've got a soft spot for these, some of the smaller (Thrifty?) rental companies used
>> them and i thought of them as good standard all round car with few niggles
>> or silly electronics, would have made a useful estate.

Used to get these from time to time through Hertz, but our local branch was a franchise and used to buy anything and everything from the local dealers.

>> only) on one of the doors and they rear arches were showing signs on forming
>> rust but been assured by my Dad that these can be caught in time and
>> put better.

For some reason Mitzi assume that rear wheels never go int mud and water, they fit front wheel arch liners but not the rears, the mud and salt sits on the lip of the wheel arch.

>> Zero - boringly reliable, I'll hold you to that!

Welcome to the MBC, (Mitzi Boring Club)
Right then, got the car home. Done about 40 mile in it today and very pleased overall.
 Mitsubishi Charisma - diddy1234
I think they are a bit of an underrated car.
Just watch out for when its wet, they tend to carry on going forward when you want to turn
>> I think they are a bit of an underrated car.
>> Just watch out for when its wet, they tend to carry on going forward when
>> you want to turn

Or leave you scrabbling for grip when you want to do a quick entry onto a main road.

The Rain tyres on the front helped enormously in this respect, but Mitsi saloons are a bit light footed up front.
It's got all round Goodyear Eagle NCT5 tyres, 3 of which are almost brand new and one which has got maybe 5000 miles left on. I'll check the brand of the spare and maybe swap over.
Last edited by: nice but dim on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 09:43
 Mitsubishi Charisma - WillDeBeest
It's good that they're all round.
};---)
>> It's got all round Goodyear Eagle NCT5 tyres

Oh dear!

Best get them ditch finders changed ASAP.
 Mitsubishi Charisma - -
>> It's got all round Goodyear Eagle NCT5 tyres,

Now that a good sign, i love to see decent tyres though not necessarily premium makes, on a used car.
Generally if owners are prepered to pay the small extra cost for proper tyres, then the rest of car will have been similarly maintained.

If i see ditchfinders i'm walking, not so much the tyre cos i'd value the car as on baldies and sling 'em anyway, its whats else lurks unseen, supermarket 20/50 oil @ £7 a gallon? fake internet bought brake parts?

edit...i've bought used MB's on those Goodyears and they've been excellent, why the ditchfinder note?
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 10:25
 Mitsubishi Charisma - WillDeBeest
Because VF buys a Vauxhall, finds it's not nice to drive and blames the tyres.
};---)
>> why the ditchfinder note?

Vauxhall fitted them to some of the Vectra-Cs. The NCT5 is the worst tyre I've ever had fitted to a car. I've had cheaper, nastier tyres that have felt more sure footed on the road than the NCT5's did.

>> Because VF buys a Vauxhall, finds it's not nice to drive and blames the tyres.

The Rainsport2's I've now got fitted are the best tyres I've ever driven on, as well as being far cheaper than the NCT5.
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 10:41
 Mitsubishi Charisma - Old Navy

>> >> Because VF buys a Vauxhall, finds it's not nice to drive and blames the
>> tyres.

I never had a problem with my Focus 2.0 TDCI on NCT5s. Must be a Vauxhall thing. :-)

One problem I had with a Carisma was an almost total loss of brakes after a short 70mph run on very wet roads, it only happened once but was scary.
 Mitsubishi Charisma - DP
>>
>> >> >> Because VF buys a Vauxhall, finds it's not nice to drive and blames
>> the
>> >> tyres.
>>
>> I never had a problem with my Focus 2.0 TDCI on NCT5s. Must be a
>> Vauxhall thing. :-)
>>
Likewise my mk2 Mondeo was fine on them too.
 Mitsubishi Charisma - TeeCee
>> Vauxhall fitted them to some of the Vectra-Cs.

Vectras were perfectly capable of finding ditches all on their own, regardless of the rubber fitted. All the ones I've ever driven handled like a pregnant hippopotamus, with one notable exception.
I had on hire for a while one of the very last 1.8 Vectras, the Insignia was already out and selling and it turned up with delivery miles on the clock. GM had added all the toys to sell 'em and I reckon they'd had one last go at the suspension too.
They'd finally got it absolutely dead right, just as it became moot.
Latest Forum Posts