Motoring Discussion > what car colour to order Buying / Selling
Thread Author: retgwte Replies: 43

what car colour to order - retgwte

ok so if i was going to spend 500 quid on paint i would choose black

but the "free" colours are red or white, which will be best for resale value 2 or 3 years down the line?

id normally choose red but white is quite trendy now

cannot see me paying 500 quid for a different colour in the current climate

what car colour to order - WillDeBeest
How about buying the colour you like? You're very unlikely to have to pay the full option price for metallic anyway.

But show some originality; black is so depressingly me-too these days.
};---)
 what car colour to order - Shiny
I'd go for red. It used to be the most common colour in the 80s and then seemed to all but die off and is making a comeback due to more attractive shades being available again.
 what car colour to order - Zero
Look at the cars in the choice of colours, A large number of cars "suit" certain colours. I like white in some cars but it has to be the right kind of white on the right kind of car.
 what car colour to order - mikeyb
I had a choice of red of white as the free colours on the V60.

I chose red as it suits it quite well - the white didn't quite look right on it. White suits some models really well, but not all.

I've only got it for 18 months so colour wasn't a big consideration, but if it was going to be a keeper I'd have gone for a colour of my choice (maybe black).

A frind has just bought a DS3 for his Mrs - they had negotiated a really good deal when his Mrs started to get flakey about not being able to get the colour / spec combo she wanted which resulted in free metalic in order to salvage the deal. No idea how much margin is in metalic for the dealer, but I'm sure it's a negotiable point especialy if its the difference between you buying or not buying!
 what car colour to order - PeterS
Depends a lot on the car / size of car IMO. Our Up! is white (£0) and looks fine, but it's small. Most small / medium sized cars look fine in either - larger cars tend to look less good though. A red Mondeo makes you look like the Fire Brigade, though I think S Line A4s get away with it Flat white 5 series/ E class etc look wrong in this country on the whole.

This fashion for white must be impacting manufacturers margin mix though - metallic paint has to be at least 95% profit, and not long ago metallic paint was the default for almost all cars. Soon white will be a cost option ;-)
 what car colour to order - Armel Coussine
Frankly darlings I don't give a damn.
does anyone know factually based on sales data which colour keeps value best ?

bog standard hatch

Anything metalic. Flat standard colours will loose most. Green wont sell.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 28 Nov 12 at 20:51
 what car colour to order - Bromptonaut
>> does anyone know factually based on sales data which colour keeps value best ?
>>
>> bog standard hatch

How long are you keeping the thing?

If it's £500 retail/list extra now but discountable I'd simply be worrying about what I want.

Unless you choose prepuce pink metallic with cack brown trimming I doubt it's going to make a difference in five years time. Certainly not compared with factors such as mileage, service history and the nicks/dents a car always picks up in service.
i mean at 2 or 3 years old will a white or red car otherwise identical have a higher value?

i am not spending 500 quid on metalic!

i know the answer always would have been red but thesedays white is trendy so i wondered if anyone knew what was going on with prices versus colour?
>> i mean at 2 or 3 years old will a white or red car otherwise
>> identical have a higher value?
>>
>> i am not spending 500 quid on metalic!

And I am saying you will recoup the cost of your 500 quid. In fact lack of metalic may make your car harder to sell.
Why don't you ring the next owner and ask him what he'd pay most for?

Sorry, what was that? What do you mean you're buying it for yourself?
 what car colour to order - Runfer D'Hills
Mrs D's Qashqai is bright red. She says it goes with her lipstick. I think it goes with the (faux) rufty tufty look of the car. My Merc is black ( all our company cars are black, we look like the blinking mafia when we're all parked up at HQ) pig to keep clean but looks nice for the three nano seconds it is after a wash.

Anyway, I'd have red in answer to the OP. White is sooo last yeah dahling...

:-)
come on guys im being serious

i dont really care what colour it is

just wondered if anyone had recent experience of standing at the auctions all day watching the prices versus colour

strictly asking what the second hand values are doing, for bog standard hatches, for red versus white

no need to take the mickey

cheers
There will be no difference between red and white at auction. Condition and mileage will be what matters. You buy what colour you like.
Last edited by: Zero on Wed 28 Nov 12 at 21:12
 what car colour to order - Runfer D'Hills
Well ok then, forgive me if I missed this bit but what kind of car is it again? Might have a bearing on the wise/prudent choice of colour. Some models really suit white. Or at least enough people think so to make it a clever option.
Red then. It'll be easier to find in a big car park.

And the Snail will approve.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Wed 28 Nov 12 at 21:21
 what car colour to order - Ted

I agree with the Beest......as I mentioned before, searching for one of our red Yarises on a car park containing about 200 cars was easy. Only about 6 red cars and that included the burgundy/dark reds.

My Vitara is metallic red over silver.......I like it's looks.

Ted
 what car colour to order - mikeyb
I'd go red. White is fashionable today, but who knows in 2 - 3 years time.........
 what car colour to order - Bromptonaut
There are too many variables even between two or three flat colours to take a call over even two years. Who can say whether red or white will be fashionable in Jan 2015? we could be in such a mess that any offer is worthwhile.

More likely we'll be in state state as now.

In that case other factors like service record and the scars of 24>36 months of roads and car parks will make more difference than red/white/grey.
 what car colour to order - Gromit
On standard cars, paint makers tell us white, black, silver, blue and red are the colours most in demand. Whether that's because what people actually want, or its what's offered to them, its hard to say.

A private buyer won't pay extra for any colour, but unusual colours - yellow, gold, orange, pink, purple - may turn off the more conservative buyer though. Some folk won't buy (depending on who you ask) red, green or navy blue cars, which are said to be unlucky (!)
 what car colour to order - henry k
As a private buyer of S/H cars I bought white, dark green by default and it was written of in a crash, white, white, white, silver and now pale silverish blue.
My cars are usually run til they are scrapped so S/H value is not an issue for me.
I like white cars or light coloured cars but not the colour for an X Type. Comments on the Jaguar forums only produced one photo of one white one as they are so rare.
I really dislike black cars. I found the market I was searching in had vast numbers off them so was delighted to find my current car in all that gloom.
 what car colour to order - CGNorwich
"And the Snail will approve."

The snail seems to have gone missing
 what car colour to order - Focusless
>> The snail seems to have gone missing

Not posted since 14th but visited today according to user info.
 what car colour to order - rtj70
Not an answer to the OP's question but VW used to do the Passat CC in two solid colours which meant no extra to pay: (1) black or (2) white.

Both were very popular and so they dropped solid black and introduced a dull dark grey (pearlescent black was always an option).

Fast forward to the revised VW CC.... still have a 'free' solid grey but the solid white is a cost option! Not much extra considering the car's overall cost but it's practically not an option!

I did consider white for my Passat CC but that looks okay with the sunroof. The sunroof would cost more than the paint I went with in the end (moonlight blue which is nearly black in some light).
 what car colour to order - Londoner
Since the OP wants an objective answer, rather than personal preference:

www.whatcar.com/car-news/your-car-s-colour-of-money/251697

www.theaa.com/cbg/goodadvice/commongoodadvice.jsp?menu1=0&menu2=1&fileName=colour

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2195559/White-cars-hold-value-best-green-maroon-fall-fastest.html
 what car colour to order - Auntie Lockbrakes
Doesn't red paint start to oxidise and fade, particularly in sunny countries, after 6 or 7 years?

OTOH white estate cars look like photocopier engineers' hacks, or local authority pool cars..!

Red's always been a good seller in the UK hasn't it? Probably the "safer" of the 2 colours...
 what car colour to order - Fenlander
White is a pig to keep clean and it can look odd on some cars... plus some folks (me) would not buy any car in white regardless of its other attributes. Red is the safe colour in this circumstance.

Of course unless it's a very cheap car where the £500 was a big chunk of the price I'd pay for metallic anyway.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 29 Nov 12 at 09:05
 what car colour to order - madf
Pink is good as it has rarity value :-)

Otherwise got to be metallic: silver looks great even 10 years old..

Son's 12 year old Yaris - which is silver - looks shiny and newish after a wash with a wax based shampoo . That happens every 6 months tho....so it may just be the contrast with before and after:-)

Most reds tend to look grim after 6-8 years, black looks scruffy and white is for paupers who cannot afford metallic..
Honda does - or used to do - the Jazz in metallic pink. Did that not appeal to you for yours, Madf?

Silver - or the blue, green or bronze tinted silvers some makers offer - is certainly best for low maintenance. I'm always amazed by how much muck I can wash off the tailgate of the silver LEC, when it looked clean from ten steps away. A black car carrying a comparable coating would look beige.
>> Honda does - or used to do - the Jazz in metallic pink. Did that
>> not appeal to you for yours, Madf?

Like this (used) tinyurl.com/cxdortk

Or this one introduced for ladies..

tinyurl.com/c4l92a3

"designed with special windscreen coatings that actually prevent wrinkles."

Bit late for me I am afraid... and what impact does it have on wrinkles elsewhere than the face? eg my waist?
 what car colour to order - devonite
British Racing Green! - looks great, especially on bigger cars!
 what car colour to order - bathtub tom
I once agreed to buy a car and on returning home, wife and daughters demanded to know what colour it was - I honestly couldn't tell them. I had to drive them past it. It was night and the car was maroon. Couldn't really tell until we saw it in daylight.

Back in the '80s I had a new-to-me red car that I left in a car park. This car park was on the side of a hill, such that you could see it all almost as an aerial view. Upon returning I was confronted with a mass of cars, mostly red. Took me ages to find mine.
 what car colour to order - Dave_
>> I once agreed to buy a car ... It was night ...
>> Couldn't really tell [what colour it was] until we saw it in daylight.

I did that once. Mine turned out to be light metallic blue.

I've never taken colour into consideration when buying a car, ever. A couple of years a bright yellow one was on the "to look at" list.
...wrinkles elsewhere than the face? eg my waist?

Now you're an OAP, Madf, you may find it helps to run through a little checklist before you leave the house, something like:
wallet
keys
glasses
teeth
trousers

};---)
 what car colour to order - Ted

We bought a new Punto 1700 TD in 1997. Wife and eldest daughter were seriously talking about a pink one. I was gricing the Alfas when I was informed that ' they would go for a metallic orange one as they weren't sure I'd like the pink ' !

I don't know...it might have appealed to my feminine side although there may have been a clash with my red killer heels on 'club night '.

It turned out to be a good little car....even towed our 12 ft caravan and returned 40 odd mpg doing so. That was curious, we bought the caravan after the car from a dealer some 50 miles away. I gave him a cheque for £4K and said I'd pick it up when they rang to say the cheque had gone through. A few days later I was able to collect it.

The cheque, however, was never cashed. I couldn't get through on the phone and when I was next in the area, a few months later, the place was empty and derelict.

Free caravan, anyone ?

Ted

Ted
 what car colour to order - Boxsterboy
Whichever colour you choose, when it comes trade-in time the dealer will say: "If only it was in red/white (delete as applicable) it would be worth a bit more." They'll shaft you whatever you do.
 what car colour to order - Londoner
>> Whichever colour you choose, when it comes trade-in time the dealer will say: "If only
>> it was in red/white (delete as applicable) it would be worth a bit more." They'll
>> shaft you whatever you do.
>>
Good point, BB! :-)
>> ...wrinkles elsewhere than the face? eg my waist?
>>
>> Now you're an OAP, Madf, you may find it helps to run through a little
>> checklist before you leave the house, something like:
>>
wallet
>> keys
>> glasses
>> teeth
>> trousers

>>
>> };---)
>>

Humph.. :-)
 what car colour to order - BobbyG
Well I am looking at cars just now and the only colours I will consider are white and red.

White is my preferred option especially if the car is a Qashqai, ix35 etc that has the full length sunroof, I think the white and black contrast well.

But I feel all white cars don't look right.

Red, especially a shiny bright red, polishes up well.

I will not take any dark colours as they show up scratches and swirls too easily and I just don't like silvers, greys , and blacks.
 what car colour to order - Lygonos
Black is a 'mare to keep clean.

Metallic red and blue tend to be decent.
...but increasingly hard to find. The Alfa we've been discussing in another thread looks great in dark metallic red, but an S60 the same age as mine (which is green, incidentally) looks awfully drab in a very similar colour. Plenty of cars - new Mercedes Es, for example - aren't offered in red at all.

Even blues are fading to grey. BMW still does a nice one, but MB's are too dark (the oddly-named Cavansite) or too bright for a big car (Indigolite), while Volvo's blues just look grey in dull light.

At least the recent resurgence of white cheers up the view a little. Still wouldn't want it on anything bigger than a Focus, though.
 what car colour to order - Lygonos
Looked good on my old Shogun.

In a 'dealerish' sort of way :-)
Latest Forum Posts