Motoring Discussion > Airbag deployment. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 8

Airbag deployment. - R.P.
www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/2012/11/30/woman-espace-from-horror-north-wales-smash-with-back-injuries-55578-32334791/

This was the front page news in the localised rag this morning. Is that a side/seat airbag that's gorn off in the Smart ? Looks like a nasty bump and that the reputed safety of the Smart played a part in the driver's survival.
 Airbag deployment. - Zero
yeah thats a seat side bag flopping around.
 Airbag deployment. - BobbyG
And thats a hopeless spelling error in the title!!
 Airbag deployment. - Zero
Understandable, Espace & Horror are often paired together.
 Airbag deployment. - WillDeBeest
Horror and North Wales seem like natural companions too.
 Airbag deployment. - PeterS
So if you live in North Wales and drive an Espace...
 Airbag deployment. - VxFan
Pictures of wrecked cars always look far worse than they did at the time of the accident because of the emergency services cutting roofs and other panels off to reach the occupants.

I bet that Smart car didn't look half as bad as it does now in the Dailypost picture.

As per usual, the press just whooping it up to make it look more dramatic.
 Airbag deployment. - WillDeBeest
Does one ever actually drive an Espace, Peter? Or merely wait anxiously for the call from the workshop?

I had the same thought as VF about the damage to the Smart; the front and sides look to have stood up pretty well to the impact, and it's just the emergency services' understandable preference for giving themselves maximum room to extract an injured occupant that's made a mess of it for the picture.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 10:27
 Airbag deployment. - movilogo
All the accident pictures I have seen, involving Smart cars, these always turned over on its side after the accidents. May be because or their tiny geometry.

A normal car would have still remained on its wheel.

Latest Forum Posts