Motoring Discussion > Ford to teenage-proof the car with "myKey" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 8

Ford to teenage-proof the car with "myKey" - VxFan
A new key system will allow parents restrict the speed their youngsters driveFord myKey can be programmed to limit speed limit and stereo volume

It can also prevent safety features being disabled like stability control

The system is available in Ford Fiestas in the UK from next month

More here:- tinyurl.com/d8k52dw - Daily Wail

"It works by recognising different keys for the same car and then adjusting the vehicle settings according to the owner’s requirements, with the capacity to limit the top speed to just 80mph"

Has no one told Ford the max legal speed in the UK is 70mph?
 Ford to teenage-proof the car with "myKey" - bathtub tom
As if parents are going to have more technology 'know how' than their kids!
 Ford to teenage-proof the car with "myKey" - oilburner
>> Has no one told Ford the max legal speed in the UK is 70mph?
>>

Obviously done with EU customers in mind.

Nice ideal in principle, but it isn't really going to stop dangerous and/or anti-social behaviour.

A youngster in a nearly new Fiesta cut sharply across my path on the entrance to a junction yesterday, forcing me to brake a little harder than I intended to avoid clouting him. Obviously it isn't "cool" (or is it sick??) these days to turn into a junction properly.

MyKey won't do much about that kind of thing. Bah, humbug.
 Ford to teenage-proof the car with "myKey" - Zero
>> >> Has no one told Ford the max legal speed in the UK is 70mph?
>> >>
>>
>> Obviously done with EU customers in mind.
>>
>> Nice ideal in principle, but it isn't really going to stop dangerous and/or anti-social behaviour.
>>
>> A youngster in a nearly new Fiesta cut sharply across my path on the entrance
>> to a junction yesterday, forcing me to brake a little harder than I intended to
>> avoid clouting him. Obviously it isn't "cool" (or is it sick??) these days to turn
>> into a junction properly.
>>
>> MyKey won't do much about that kind of thing. Bah, humbug.

Not only the kids, lots of pensioners do this as they cant twiddle the wheel very quickly or are just stupid. Can we have the keys taken away from them too?
 Ford to teenage-proof the car with "myKey" - Old Navy
>> Not only the kids, lots of pensioners do this as they cant twiddle the wheel
>> very quickly or are just stupid. Can we have the keys taken away from them
>> too?
>>

I don't think you can pin corner cutting on any age group. It is just lazy unthinking drivers who don't plan any further ahead than their windscreen.
 Ford to teenage-proof the car with "myKey" - movilogo
How will it prevent driving at 50 MPH where limit is 30 MPH?
 Ford to teenage-proof the car with "myKey" - oilburner

>> I don't think you can pin corner cutting on any age group. It is just
>> lazy unthinking drivers who don't plan any further ahead than their windscreen.
>>

I do see it more with younger drivers. But it's common enough from a variety of muppets, true. The younger drivers (especially lads) seem to take it to the extreme, almost as if they're trying to "clip the apex" on the other side of the road...
 Ford to teenage-proof the car with "myKey" - bathtub tom
This seems to happen a lot near where I live. One junction in particular, where I often turn right, has excellent sight lines. I get great pleasure in taking my position just to the left of the centre line when I see a 'corner cutter'.
 Ford to teenage-proof the car with "myKey" - Old Navy
>> This seems to happen a lot near where I live. One junction in particular, where
>> I often turn right, has excellent sight lines. I get great pleasure in taking my
>> position just to the left of the centre line when I see a 'corner cutter'.
>>
>>

I prefer the defensive approach, even low speed bumps are hassle best avoided. You should be there anyway, people who block progress with poor positioning are a pain
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 30 Nov 12 at 12:45
Latest Forum Posts