Motoring Discussion > Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 71

Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Fenlander
Mrs F has been scanning Autotrader this weekend for this cheap temp car we need. She wants to go and see this Rover 75. Apparently 27k genuine supported by history and almost as new condition. My no. 1 choice of colour for older cars and it does look exceptional.

But it's an old duffers car really isn't it?

tinyurl.com/coh38zb
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Robin O'Reliant
If the cap fits...
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - NortonES2
Looks immaculate, even under the bonnet. If it suits, go on, be bold, deprive an old duffer!
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - -
I adore 75's, especally pre facelift, interior like a gentlemans club.

But two things, its got the K series engine so CHG will go, not the end of the world if you DIY or have a good chap to slip the modified gasket in should it blow.
Secondly its manual, these were a lovely cruiser and the icing on the cake is an auto box.

Love dark green the darker the better.

Runway tyre on close up, disappointing.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 2 Dec 12 at 14:47
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Dog
Bore liners of this engine can also drop according to HJ - hope for the best, but be prepared (£££) for the worst.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Skip
>> Mrs F has been scanning Autotrader this weekend for this cheap temp car we need.
>> She wants to go and see this Rover 75. Apparently 27k genuine supported by history
>> and almost as new condition. My no. 1 choice of colour for older cars and
>> it does look exceptional.
>>
>> But it's an old duffers car really isn't it?
>>
>> tinyurl.com/coh38zb
>>
>>

It might be an old duffers car but it has certainly been looked after, that must be the cleanest 9 year old car I have ever seen ! Ask if there is any record of the head gasket being changed as that is going to be the most likely problem you will have with it.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Zero
I be tempted, always like Rovers,75s even the HG problem wouldnt put me off, once you know about its easy to prevent.

That price tag is a real shocker tho. Way over the top. Thats a priced for the gullible.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 2 Dec 12 at 14:53
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Stuu
I would check for coolant changes every few years, you dont want a crud filled coolant system on one of these, they like good quality fluids, but if they are looked after properly the K-Series isnt a problem, it is 90% lazy owners in most cases who dont do the correct servicing or change old rubber hoses which may crack ( small coolant capacity means quick overheat ).

I would change all the radiator hoses on one that age and flush the cooling system on purchase.

2003 was an excellent year for Rover in terms of quality, just before they started cost cutting so it will have all the updates that early cars needed - there was a long list of dealer recalls on the new ones in 1999 that were done before cars went out.

On the manual do watch the clutch isnt heavy, if it is walk away, it is stupidly expensive to replace - on the 2.5 manual I took a bill back for over £1k for a replacement clutch. The box can be a bit notchy and the 1.8 isnt that fast, but it is soothing and very comfortable.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Dutchie
It does look a nice car offer the dealer £1500 he won't have payed more than a £1000 or less.

Low mileage wouldn't have thought any bore damage Dog.I would try to talk to the chap who owned the car always nice to know the owner if you can find out who it is.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Runfer D'Hills
Daughter to friend - "It's ok, that's my Dad over there in the Alfa waiting to pick me up"
Friend - "Cool ! Wish my Dad would get something fun."

Or,

Daughter to friend - "It's ok, that's my Dad over there in that old Rover he's bought to tide him over, he wouldn't normally drive something like that honestly, but he thought It'd do, and he's waiting to pick me up"
Friend - "Why is there steam coming out from under the bonnet of your Dad's car?"
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - corax
>> Daughter to friend - "It's ok, that's my Dad over there in the Alfa waiting
>> to pick me up"
>> Friend - "Cool ! Wish my Dad would get something fun."
>>
>> Or,
>>
>> Daughter to friend - "It's ok, that's my Dad over there in that old Rover
>> he's bought to tide him over, he wouldn't normally drive something like that honestly, but
>> he thought It'd do, and he's waiting to pick me up"
>> Friend - "Why is there steam coming out from under the bonnet of your Dad's
>> car?"

Another scenario.

Daughter to friend - "It's ok, that's my Dad standing over there by the Alfa waiting to pick me up"
Friend - "Cool, but why is he bent over double rubbing his back?"
Daughter - "Oh he complains about the ride, it does his poor old back in, he said he should have bought a Rover he had his eye on".

:)
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - sooty123
For that money I would be looking at a higher spec. If you want that car I think you'd be shorting yourself, go for a higher spec. Connoisseur I think was top spec. Nice car though if you're in the market for that sort of car.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Woodster
Firmly with Zeddo - way too much.
Good feedback thanks. Agree it's a £600-£1000 car pumped up another £1000 due to mileage/condition. Noticed the Runway tyre too gb... may have been the cheapest for dealer to get an MOT?

And Humph... well absolutely spot on. Daughters would be very scathing. They say the Honda HRV is "gay" and call Mrs F's C3 the skankmobile. I'll get them to look at the Alfas later.

Just for the crack I'll look at that Rover on Tuesady and report back... going within half a mile of it anyway.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 2 Dec 12 at 16:13
'Daughters would be very scathing.'

What wouldn't they be scathing about?
Scathing nippers need reminding second class ride better than first class walk.:-)
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 2 Dec 12 at 16:23
true GB, just curious :-)
>>>Scathing nippers need reminding second class ride better than first class walk.:-)

Now you've left nothing for Pat to say.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 2 Dec 12 at 16:28
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Pat
I'm sure I will find something before long.

Pat
>>>I'm sure I will find something before long.

:-)

Anyway have a look at the link in my first post Pat... what would you say if that Rover arrived on the drive as a replacement for the Mondeo?
>>Low mileage wouldn't have thought any bore damage Dog<<

It may have only been used twice a week or so in it's life though Dutchie, once on pension day and once on shopping day and the engine rarely reaches 'normal' running temp, so the bores could well be more worn than a high miler.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Pat
Setting aside the fact it wouldn't tow the caravan, I wouldn't have any problem with it at all.

As long as it starts in the morning in any type of weather and get's me where I need to go, it really is all I ask of a car.

...yes, I need a decent heater too!

Pat
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - PeteW
"service history stamp" = 1 service in 9 years?
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - R.P.
A lot of dosh for a 9 year old car with a reputation for HGF.......
Could be Dog,the car hasn't been driven alot.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - R.P.
A dog called Rover ?
I had a dog called Rover (really) - people in the waiting room at the vets used to snigger when the receptionist asked me his name.

He was the dog I mentioned in the past week, who bit my sister and I (he was mad)

I had him put down at Battersea dogs home, before he bit anyone else.

You can't trust a Rover IMO.
That reminds me of a incident my sisters husband had years ago in our house.We had a small keeshond called Pimmy he looked like a small fox.Pimmy used to have his favorite chair and sisters hubby disturbed him.He bit his earlobe and in the panic b.i.l.got up quick and Pim hung on his ear.Wifes late father had a dog called Rover a Jack Russell lovely dog.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - ....
What happened to all the 75's they used to have HUGE rear number plates, why have all these cars got 'normal' little strips ?
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Lygonos
I was under the impression that the big plates on Rover 75s (and ?some Jags) were technically illegal.

They were gotten rid of to save costs.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - TeeCee
It's a 1.8. Bargepole required there.

The KV6 engined 2.0 and 2.5s are usually said to be fine, as are the BMW engined turbodiesels. Applying forced induction to the 1.8 four-pot K, with its already well-earned reputation for cylinder head and overheating issues, was a recipe for disaster.

If you want one, I'd look for a V6 or TD.

I had a 2.0 KV6 on hire once and it was excellent. I've no idea what they were putting in their tea when they designed the suspension, but it worked. All the "magic carpet" floating feeling and zero body roll on corners that you used to get with the old hydrolastic cars, but without the dive and squat that characterised that system.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Paul Robinson
If you're going to have something boring, you might as well save yourself potential grief and have a Honda Accord or Toyota Avensis:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201245491846066

link modified to remove postcode and other unnecessary stuff that was making it too long for the page to cope with
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 3 Dec 12 at 10:21
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - madf
Get it for under £1k - ideal for banger racing.

At £2k it's in no man's land : too common to be valuable. Too expensive for the spec.
Completely agree on price... this one puts it into perspective...

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201211234364813

Same car, same colour, no attempt to valet but still looks tidy, one owner private sale and low miles for year at 75k... £650.

Yes there are plenty of boring Japanese cars that would do the job Paul... guess it says something that I'm not just going that route. Having said that I've always liked the "boring" 2003-on Avensis so that was a good spot.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Alanovich
Here's watcha want. Jap but not especially boring:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201211204314048/
I'd agree re the Mazda 6. Had we gone straight to another lease last of the up to 2012 model was on the radar.
Okay, I understand! If you're drawn to the Rover, wouldn't a Jag S Type or even an X Type be a safer bet?
Paul the Rover was a chance thing Mrs F found and mentioned as we liked the look of them when they came out... echoes of the luxury cars of the 60s etc etc. I will look at the low miles one tomorrow but chance of buying is virtually nil.... even at half price.

For this short term between leases cheap used car I'm avoiding all large bargain barges as far as possible.... i.e. large Volvo/Jaguar/BMW/Mercedes etc.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 3 Dec 12 at 12:09
So, are you looking for something you can sell again afterwards?
Well sort of.

Guess you have missed previous associated threads but in a nutshell...

C5 lease over the past 3yrs has been the perfect car/financing choice however lease is up 30th Dec. A recent complete change of lifestyle/location means I hardly ever need the load carrying ability, I've massively reduced my mileage walking and cycling for most daily needs... so I'm not 100% reliant on the car any more.

Decision is if another lease is appropriate in these circumstances... and if so do I get something like a Golf which would suit 95% of the time... or keep to a larger estate "just in case"?

Decided to take 3mths (perhaps 6mths) out with a cheap(ish) used car until we decide what to do long term. As long as the total cost equates to less than the £250/mth of a lease then it'll be fine.

So for example buy car for £1500. 6mths VED, pair of tyres, new interior mats, battery, DIY full service & unexpected whatever will take it to £2000. If I keep it just 3mths would like to be able to sell for £1250+ to make the plan work.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 3 Dec 12 at 13:21
Thanks for the update David. So, if the question is 'do I lease another car and if so do I get something like a Golf' then shouldn't your temporary car help you to decide that and be ... err something like a Golf?
I can see through your methods... trying to sneak logic into a car buying decision indeed.

But it's a fair call. Tidy Golfs are easy to buy, easy to sell and probably less risky in the maintenance/failure department.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 3 Dec 12 at 14:26
Ling's doing Volvo V40s (1.6 D2) at 250 nicker a month at the moment, if leasing is your thang (it isn't mine).
Actually there are some really good Ling deals around £250-£260ish...

The V40, new Kia Sportage, New Golf, Astra Sports Tourer, 147bhp Civic Diesel, VW Touran, Octavia Estate, Yeti etc etc.

If our circumstances were the same as the past 3yrs I'd just get another straight away.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Armel Coussine
There was a V8 version of that so-called neo-Rover 75. Quite fancy one of those but I don't think many were made.

Of course 'Rover 75' means something different and better to people of my vintage. The real Rover 75 was a very silky and comfortable bourgeois cruiser, a bit roly-poly in the twisties but really very classy and with good road manners. It had the peculiar and somewhat dubious feature of a freewheel arrangement operated by a knurled knob on the facia. A lot of owners didn't use it.
>> Of course 'Rover 75' means something different and better to people of my vintage. The
>> real Rover 75 was a very silky and comfortable bourgeois cruiser,

A bulky friend of mine owned one, free wheel was a delight.

He used to let me drive it, one day we were chopsing away as you do, he in his usual place leaning on the passenger door, i took a right hand turn and after straightening out still mid waffling sentence glanced round and he'd vanished.
Door lock had sprung open and he'd simply rolled out onto the road, located him easily by the roaring of his laughter.
>> Yes there are plenty of boring Japanese cars that would do the job Paul... guess
>> it says something that I'm not just going that route. Having said that I've always
>> liked the "boring" 2003-on Avensis so that was a good spot.

What are you looking for Fenlander, excitement or comfort and reliability? If it's the former I would go for something like the Alfa. Remember that we'll be coming into the winter months soon - my Avensis is a great winter car with good tyres - the chassis won't set your world on fire but its totally unflappable on slippery roads, it's quiet, the engine (1.8 vvt) warms up within a couple of minutes and the facelift (06 on) cars have an improved chassis with exceptional ride (with 16in wheels) I don't think you'll want to spend that much, but the earlier 2003 on cars are still good.
Last edited by: corax on Mon 3 Dec 12 at 16:19
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Victorbox
Over on AROnline they love them but not the 1.8 without extensive head gasket upgrades: www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - mikeyb
>> Over on AROnline they love them but not the 1.8 without extensive head gasket upgrades:
>> www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/
>>

Think they love anything with a Rover badge on it
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - madf
Sad people..
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - No FM2R
I've had several, all with the 2.5 V6 petrol engine.

I really like them, Pleasant to drive, comfortable, well equipped.

Completely naff sat nav though.

However, one doesn't have to under-estimate the issues potentially within a 10 - 15 year old car which is not made anymore, not developed any more and doesn't have a life manufacturer.

For example, diagnostic software is state of the art as at 2004. And in the world of software, that is way behind the times. It is cumbersome, unreliable, unsupported and potentially expensive.

Its not like there have been 10 years of engine software revisions, bug fixing, recalls, etc. etc.

And it is not just a 10 year old car, it is 15/20 year old technology

So whilst I've had several, and I would have more, I would not pay anything like serious money for one since every time its a gamble. And £2,000 for a 1.8 is way more than you need to pay.

At £750 - £1,000 however, you get a good car, and you can afford the risk.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 3 Dec 12 at 20:33
IMO cheap tyres are not in keeping with a well maintained car. Also hope the "service history stamp" is missing the plural!
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Victorbox
Bangernomics: tinyurl.com/c7k3o3o
Last edited by: Victorbox on Mon 3 Dec 12 at 21:01
I've read that blog and others on that site plus other articles they link to. It is sobering that they accept two head gasket failures is acceptable in 25k!

>>>What are you looking for Fenlander, excitement or comfort and reliability?

Well corax that's the problem... because it will be a temp cheap car I could take a risk on something like the Alfa 156 which I would never consider as a more permenent expensive car.

But as Paul Robinson says something like a modest Golf could be the sensibie option. However I'm sure when the eventual purchase is announced it will not make sense to many.

Tomorrow going to see/try a 407 2.0 petrol, Golf 1.6 petrol, Alfa 156 2.0 petrol and that low mileage Rover 1.8 75. Might have more idea when I know how I feel over that selection.
Yes, I didn't factor any fun into my earlier reply!

I'm betting that the 407 will be the best buy.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - DP
>> I've read that blog and others on that site plus other articles they link to.
>> It is sobering that they accept two head gasket failures is acceptable in 25k!

The irony is that if every Rover buyer had been so understanding and accepting of 'designed in' faults, and so easily able to shrug off the inconvenience they simply wouldn't have had to deal with had they bought another make of car, maybe Rover would still be alive.

Oh dear... that 27k 75 was a really really nice car!

As clean as it looked in the pictures and after a lifetime of handling cars I'd say the 27k was genuine. It was in ready to go condition, started instantly and settled to an almost inaudible tickover. Very comfy to sit in and felt right (you could be a "chap" in one easily). Shame about the two Runway tyres but the others inc spare were all Goodyear and probably original.

There was only one stamp in the service book and a supporting invoice plus one more. The old MOT certificates did confirm the mileage as genuine with 2k or 3k covered each year. No signs it had ever overheated and coolant was clean.

Didn't take it for a run as he was a decent guy and I had no intention of going anywhere near a price he'd accept for what I want it for. But if you were properly retired and wanted a larger comfy car for a few years it would be hard to resist.

Sounds like a nice vee-hickle, F. I harbour a fairly secrect lust for these in estate form, diesel (BMW 2.0) auto of course. Smoooooth. Also the ZT-T, naturally.

No ISOFIX though, which is something of a show stopper for me.
One stamp in the service book is terrible, many better cared for cars out there. I would rather have one of similar age with 80k on the clock and a comprehensive history.

If you like the 75, I would look out for a documented diesel, they are the ones to have.
>>>One stamp in the service book is terrible.

Well it depends..... I wouldn't like it on a 5yr old Mercedes.

The most important thing is that the oil has been changed from time to time... and that might have been done. In fact the oil is very clean at the moment and the filter looks recent (not just done by the current seller).
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 4 Dec 12 at 15:44
I'd be very surprised if that car had only been serviced the once.

My cars get serviced too well if thats possible, though with intentions to keep long term so in my own interests, i do much of my own but am too disorganized to keep receipts for parts (i know where i put them but SWMBO has a tidying purge and they vanish), plus when you buy oil by the 50 litres its difficult to prove when you used it.

I expect this Rover falls into a similar category, possibly serviced by the obviously fastidious owner or on a cash basis by someone trustworthy, receipts optional..;)

Did the discs and exhaust look reasonable?

If you really like it FL, why not simply ring the dealer concerned and be candid, he might be glad to negotiate a sensible compromise.
Buy with the eyes and ears at this level, Stu.
>>Buy with the eyes and ears at this level, Stu <<

I would hope ones eyes are able to browse a full service history. The K-Series does not like lack of use, end of, it doesnt like lack of attention either. The most reliable K-Series cars I saw in the trade were the high milers with proper service history.

There were several MGFs on 80k+ around in the late 90's that I knew of which ran great but I also saw two engine changes on sub 20k cars which had been kept in heated garages and just done the occasional sunday run. The K-Series tends to be stay tight unless it is given the beans from day one, the most reliable Rover 200s I saw were the loan cars which were driven with revs and little mercy - they never came back for warranty work, it was often remarked on.
Last edited by: FoR on Tue 4 Dec 12 at 18:32
>> If you like the 75, I would look out for a documented diesel, they are
>> the ones to have.

I'd agree. After coming from Citroens, I reckon you wouldn't find the ride on a 75 a disappointment. Have you tried the Peugeot 407?
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - WillDeBeest
Well it depends..... I wouldn't like it on a 5yr old Mercedes.

I'd have to look but I don't think my four-year-old one has a service book at all. All kept online now, apparently.
OK but I really meant it's more an issue on a valuable car rather than this old Rover... PC records are fine while the car is main dealer serviced.

You have to go with an overall feel added to whatever level of experience you possess. Applying this judgement I'd say if I wanted a large comfy car to keep for 2-4yrs I'd have no hesitation having a punt at this Rover at the right price.

I'd have to do a full DIY service, brake fluid change and oil/filter change plus I'd like to get it on an MOT ramp to confirm the basic underbody/running gear condition. Waxoyl (or whatever your poison) would be a good idea before it gets run about too far. Also you'd have to consider the possibility of a head gasket swap in the future and factor that in.

For all those reasons my short term need makes me the wrong buyer I think.... but there is still an attraction.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 4 Dec 12 at 19:27
I had a Rover 214 bought in my less affluent days. I remember it had north of 120K on it when I got it but it still felt very tight. Lovely revvy engine, and most who rode in her refused to believe it was only a 1.4.

Lunched its gearbox, but that k-series never gave a moments bother, so I do often wonder how many really do fail
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Zero
>> I had a Rover 214 bought in my less affluent days. I remember it had
>> north of 120K on it when I got it but it still felt very tight.
>> Lovely revvy engine, and most who rode in her refused to believe it was only
>> a 1.4.
>>
>> Lunched its gearbox, but that k-series never gave a moments bother, so I do often
>> wonder how many really do fail

The 214 was a good wagon in most respects.
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - PeterS
>> Well it depends..... I wouldn't like it on a 5yr old Mercedes.
>>
>> I'd have to look but I don't think my four-year-old one has a service book
>> at all. All kept online now, apparently.
>>

I'm not sure that my '04 MB had a physical service book, so I exect you're right.

It is an interesting point re actually proving service history. I've got a copy of the bill for the last service on mine, but that's the only proof I've got of a service! Our A4 on the other hand has a book with 4 (soon to be 5) main dealer stamps, supported by invoices. As a buyer of a second hand 5 year old car I'd certainly be happier with that than the MB approach, but do most people care?
As a buyer of a second
>> hand 5 year old car I'd certainly be happier with that than the MB approach,
>> but do most people care?

Yes, we do.

That Mitsi Outlander SWMBO is having attracted us in the first place cos i spotted a full set of little worn Michelin Latitudes lurking at the corners, nothing in the write up about service history but as it was only about 12 miles away we went and had a poke nose, just to eliminate from enquiries really seeing as one of her mates has one thats proving to be very good, ended up testing driving it (unaccompanied) and negotiating a deal.

The tyre clue to good care appears to have paid off (only in the fullness of time will we really know), scrutinising the book showed the supplying Mitsi dealers servicing stamp roughly every 8 or 9k miles at appropriate ages for its one owner history.

hmm having said that you'd think the full history would have been a major part of the advert, so maybe people like us are the exception, maybe most neglect their cars and expect everyone else to do the same.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 4 Dec 12 at 20:35
 Rover 75 - A Rover 75 - step too far surely. - Duncan
>> I'm not sure that my '04 MB had a physical service book, so I exect
>> you're right.
>>
>> It is an interesting point re actually proving service history. I've got a copy of
>> the bill for the last service on mine, but that's the only proof I've got
>> of a service! Our A4 on the other hand has a book with 4 (soon
>> to be 5) main dealer stamps, supported by invoices. As a buyer of a second
>> hand 5 year old car I'd certainly be happier with that than the MB approach,
>> but do most people care?
>>

If this is MB that you are talking about, then the service is recorded on The MB dealers computer, available then for all MB dealers to see.

As a prospective buyer, I would be far more impressed by a wad of invoices than I would by a few stamps in a book. Yes, invoices can be forged, but a lot more work than forging stamps in a service booklet.
Latest Forum Posts