Motoring Discussion > Black Ice !! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 46

Black Ice !! - BobbyG
Well the missus went to work in her wee Beetle this morning, very icy but took it carefully and parked up at work.

Delivery driver in his 7.5 tonner came into car park slowly, hit the black ice and lorry slid down the hill, collected Benji in its path and promptly bumped Benji up a kerb, half way over a small dwarf wall and then wedged into a lampost.

So spent all morning on phone to Admiral and then to Albany assist and now got HelpHire involved as well. Have you ever tried reading a pdf of a hire agreement on a smart phone???

Pretty sure car will be a write off, as well as the body damage, god knows whats happened underneath.

Now looking at the resultant mess, it is obvious to me that as she had her all-seasons tyres on the front, they had definitely provided more grip.................. LOL
 Black Ice !! - Alanovich
Did it catch fire?
 Black Ice !! - Zero
she called it Benji? Dear god I am glad someone put it out of its misery.
 Black Ice !! - BiggerBadderDave
Multi-ethnic Ice, please.
 Black Ice !! - BobbyG
No fires this time!!
 Black Ice !! - Dog
Any pics?
 Black Ice !! - BobbyG
Loads!
 Black Ice !! - BobbyG
This might work, though need to scroll down
s1112.beta.photobucket.com/user/Bobbyg69/library/Benji

Black Ice !! - Fullchat
Well that must have been a bit of a moment for Mrs BG! Perhaps some chocs and flowers may help her get over the event :)
 Black Ice !! - BobbyG
Sorry should have made clear, Mrs Bobby wasn't in the car. This happened about 10 mins after she had got out the car, and walked back up holding onto the fence for grip!

Doesn't bear thinking about if it had happened while she was half way out the car! Or even if she was in it, the instinct may have been to try and get out before the lorry hit her!
 Black Ice !! - Fullchat
Cancel my last then :)
 Black Ice !! - Bromptonaut
You might want to scrub out Mrs Bobby's reg plate?
 Black Ice !! - No FM2R
>>You might want to scrub out Mrs Bobby's reg plate

Seriously, why do people do that? I notice it on the Trader & eBay. What is the issue? Especially given that everybody sees your plate when you drive down the street anyway.
 Black Ice !! - BobbyG
The car is driven round all day with its number plate showing so no issues with showing it online.

But you have actually prompted me that if it does get written off, which I am sure it will, I need to make sure she gets her plates transferred.
 Black Ice !! - BobbyG
On a slight tangent, have read all about these scams and claims etc. I would have been happy to hire a car for £20 a day from a local place until decision was made re write off. But Admiral told me that if I want a car, I must do it through them, and Albany Assist who then use another Hire company etc etc so the costs are immediately piling up, ultimately for the other insurance company.
Have also had a call from a solictor who Albany have contacted but that can sit on the voicemail for now!

They are giving her a 5 door Corsa as a hire car, maybe she will see that there is more choice than Beetles out there for a replacement!!
 Black Ice !! - No FM2R
>> But Admiral told me that if I want a car, I must do it through them, and Albany Assist who then use another Hire company etc etc so the costs are immediately piling up, ultimately for the other insurance company.

What they mean is, if you wish them to deal with it and cover the cost then you must hire it through them.

How to proceed depends on what you can be bothered with and your reaction to the driver of the truck at the scene.

Let me know if I can help.
 Black Ice !! - Alanovich
I look forward to the "what new car for my missus" thread.

I predict:

Humph - Mondeo
Zero - Mitsubishi Lancer
Dog - Mitsubishi Lancer
Armel Coussine - 1924 Swiftmobile
L'Escargot - Anything so long as it's a bright colour

Any other predictions?

Edit:

Focusless - Ford Focus
VxFan - Astras are nice, built in Britain too
Last edited by: Alanović on Fri 7 Dec 12 at 14:36
 Black Ice !! - BobbyG
Ha ha you will be disappointed !!

I don't like the Beetle. She loves it. So therefore I will immediately stand back from the discussion!

If she decides she wants something different then I will get involved but other than that, lookslike it will be another Beetle.
 Black Ice !! - WillDeBeest
Stu: something Japanese that none of us could pick out of a line-up.
RP: whatever he's forgotten to sell this week before buying something new.
 Black Ice !! - R.P.
RP: whatever he's forgotten to sell this week before buying something new.

Just read this thread !! Ha Ha !! Take your pick from my forecourt !
You might want to scrub out Mrs Bobby's reg plate.

Why? It's not as naff as some. UR04 NOB, for example. Saw that on a blue Golf yesterday.
 Black Ice !! - Alanovich
A friend of mine recently sent me a link to a picture of a British reg Volvo V70 driving through France, which had shown up on French comedy websites. It's reg: GR05 CON.

Must have been Joey Barton heading for Marseille.
That's funny. I saw a small Lexus last time that had, in flashy letters, something like 66 CUL, which is not quite as rude but which its owner had presumably chosen before taking it to France.

At the time we were buying the LEC, and with a French holiday coming up, I found RO58 EEF was available from the DVLA, but I decided £850 was too much to pay for two weeks of amusing the locals.
 Black Ice !! - Alanovich
>> RO58 EEF

For the first time in my life, I want a private number plate. That one. Trouble is, I have to buy a 58 reg or newer car first.

:-(
 Black Ice !! - henry k
>> But you have actually prompted me that if it does get written off, which I
>> am sure it will, I need to make sure she gets her plates transferred.
>>
May I suggest you check this out ASAP so the insurance co doesnt claim them?
 Black Ice !! - rtj70
>> May I suggest you check this out ASAP so the insurance co doesnt claim them?

I am sure I've read on here or other sites that this can end up complicating claims. The plate in question probably isn't worth a huge amount but it's associated with this car which probably will be written off. But to transfer the plate means something has to be done... and quickly I guess.
 Black Ice !! - IJWS14
>> >> But you have actually prompted me that if it does get written off, which
>> I
>> >> am sure it will, I need to make sure she gets her plates transferred.
>> >>
>> May I suggest you check this out ASAP so the insurance co doesnt claim them?
>>
>>
Quite simple, don't release the V5 until you have had the number placed on retention and a new registration number issued for the car. if you give them the V5 with the personal number on it you will lose the number. You may have to confirm to DVLA that you have fitted the new number plates to the car, I just took the old ones off in the repairer's yard.

Happened to SWMBO's car a few years ago, annoyed Churchill a little as they had to wait before disposing of the write off. Tough.

The retention fee is part of the insurance claim.
 Black Ice !! - BobbyG
>>The retention fee is part of the insurance claim.

Good to know that as the fee is about £105 or thereabouts!!
 Black Ice !! - Dog
>>This might work, though need to scroll down
s1112.beta.photobucket.com/user/Bobbyg69/library/Benji<<

I must miss a lot of posts because when I clicked the new post thingy, it took me to the post underneath this one.

It was only after reading the posts mentioning the pics that I thought, ere, what's on then.
 Black Ice !! - Falkirk Bairn
>>So spent all morning on phone to Admiral and then to Albany assist and now got HelpHire involved as well

Would you not have saved time, effort and cost by just claiming from 3663 Lorry Insurer!
Credit Hire to me smells of credit costs, delays and high cost car hire
 Black Ice !! - Ted

The pictures don't indicate any major damage, I think it would drive ok.

Not sure about the blue VW, though !

Ted
 Black Ice !! - Zero
Looks fixable to me too.
 Black Ice !! - BobbyG
When I first saw it I thought this will be one of the scenarios where it will be written off but could buy back and fix on the cheap.

But with the lorry having pushed it up and over a kerb I fear there may be chassis damage. And where its hit the lampost, it looks like its taken a good hit on the sill which may involve structural damage.

Of course with the Beetle, and its body panel shape, its hard to see what structure underneath has actually been affected or whether its all cosmetic.
 Black Ice !! - Zero

>> Of course with the Beetle, and its body panel shape,

Its hard to see what panel damage has been done as well.
 Black Ice !! - BobbyG
Front drivers wing
Front bumper
Drivers door
Fuel cap / lid thing
passenger side panel / sill at lampost
Front passenger side headlight
Front passenger wing

And thats just the visible bits - car wasn't getting recovered till this afternoon so don't know what else might show up
 Black Ice !! - a900ss
That's no 7.5 tonner, that's a 17 tonner.
 Black Ice !! - rtj70
Knowing the Beetle is quite bulbous, the damage might not be so structural. But the cost might still make it uneconomic to repair considering the value of the car. Not sure I'd want the car repaired myself.

Bad luck though - I hope there are good tyres on the hire car for the cold weather up your way.

I hope it's not a hassle keeping the private plates if it is written off. You'd need to transfer them etc. But won't the insurer own the car if you are paid out via the insurance claim... so does that include the private plates?
 Black Ice !! - Dave_
>> That's no 7.5 tonner, that's a 17 tonner.

Correct a900ss. 3663 don't run 7.5 tonners, Scania don't make em either.

Must have been some serious ice for that lorry to have taken a slide like that BG - not a lot its driver could have done to be fair though. Sorry for your (Benji's) bad luck.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Fri 7 Dec 12 at 22:21
 Black Ice !! - Baz
Indeed, I would still be driving round in it
 Black Ice !! - Armel Coussine
If it was pushed sideways across that kerb there will be very serious damage to steering and (especially front) suspension/driveline. If it's written off it will be for that. Such a car, repaired, will still never be the same again.

Tidy little motor too although I prefer my Golfs not in drag... Hard luck BG and Ms BG...
 Black Ice !! - bathtub tom
I had a parked car that a lorry pushed sideways into a kerb. The visible damage was minimal, but the force must have been applied to the opposite wheel that hit the kerb. There was visible buckling of the underside.
 Black Ice !! - nice but dim
Hi Bobby,

Not sure if this helps but I've contacted the car park in question and obtained some CCTV footage of the incident and maybe it will help with the insurers?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MPRmOUxRMY

:)
 Black Ice !! - Armel Coussine
What suicidal idiots though to get out of the car (unless of course there was an unprotected cliff edge just round the corner). They could have been run over by it or injured by one of the open doors. In fact they probably do have bruises and abrasions they would have been spared if they had stayed put.

Twozzers.
 Black Ice !! - a900ss
>> What suicidal idiots....
>>

The stupid sort that don"t realise that if wheels are locked, the car can't steer.

I'm not saying it would have have avoided an accident this time but let the brakes OFF and at least try and steer the car.

Darwin and all that....
 Black Ice !! - BobbyG
AC, I am no fan of it either - if it has to go on the Golf floorplan and be a total waste of the potential space it gives, then give me the Audi TT instead.......
 Black Ice !! - Manatee
...or an Audi S3. Nice car and a bit stealthier, if a bit firm on the suspenders.
 Black Ice !! - rtj70
I'd prefer the Audi TT RS - not sure about the wheels on the Plus version but it goes well and I am sure the wheels could be swapped. A bit pricey being close to £50k!
Latest Forum Posts