Motoring Discussion > Latest EU ruling regarding tyre labels Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 10

Latest EU ruling regarding tyre labels - L'escargot
I found this on the Volvo website.

"By November 2012, new tyres sold in Europe will carry an EU label. The label will show ratings for a tyre’s fuel efficiency, wet grip and the noise it makes on the road."
 Latest EU ruling regarding tyre labels - Old Navy
Yes, this one.

tinyurl.com/d7cpm95
Mine are these. tinyurl.com/bm2x7ro On that basis are they good, bad, or indifferent?
>> Mine are these. tinyurl.com/bm2x7ro On that basis are they good, bad, or indifferent?
>>

It doesn't tell you, they are like the fuel consumption figures, just a comparison.
 Latest EU ruling regarding tyre labels - lancara
These tinyurl.com/dxs3utm appear cheaper and have better economy and grip ratings, but noiser
>> These tinyurl.com/dxs3utm appear cheaper ............

Cheaper? My Goodyear Eagle NCT5 are £7 per tyre cheaper than your Michelin Energy Saver +.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 8 Dec 12 at 13:49
 Latest EU ruling regarding tyre labels - Manatee
The measure that seems to have been dropped is the wear rating. Still moulded on all the tyres we have but not usually shown in descriptions and not on the new labels,

I just looked up the tyres that are currently on the Outlander on that ATS site you linked and frightened myself - Pirelli Scorpion STR 215/70/16 100H £171 each fitted! Last time I looked they were £100 on mytyres - currently £111 inc. delivery and fitting from there, a bit of a difference.
Cost is only relevant if you are paying. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sat 8 Dec 12 at 11:07
 Latest EU ruling regarding tyre labels - Manatee
>> Cost is only relevant if you are paying. :-)

I am, I assure you.

I'm not sure how much use the ratings are - a premium brand should be OK - how much worse is 'E' for wet grip than 'B'? As far as safety goes, how it lets go is probably more important than ultimate grip. Similarly with economy, the driver is going to be a much bigger factor.

Noise is worth knowing about if you really dislike noisy tyres
 Latest EU ruling regarding tyre labels - Fenlander
>>>Mine are these. tinyurl.com/bm2x7ro On that basis are they good, bad, or indifferent?

Well by the euro label they are quiet but not that economical and not that good in the wet.

However these eu labels do not seem to tie into tyre test that well and I've seen comment that makers might be biasing the tyre characteristics to get good test results even if the overall result isn't that good.

The other issue is that the tyre makers test and grade these results themselves with it being self-regulating.

I think the principle of ratings is a good one but I've just a worry now that the results could be a bit misleading like official fuel consumption figures.
>> I've just a worry
>> now that the results could be a bit misleading like official fuel consumption figures.
>>

I always (without trying) get an overall average fuel consumption equal to or better than the official combined fuel consumption figure, so (until, if and when, I prove otherwise) I'm prepared to believe these tyre figures.
Latest Forum Posts