Motoring Discussion > Opel - GM to close Bochum Zafira plant Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 8

Opel - GM to close Bochum Zafira plant - Falkirk Bairn
3300 jobs to go. It could make Vx plant in Ellesmere safer.
Last edited by: Falkirk Bairn on Mon 10 Dec 12 at 14:37
 Opel - GM to close Bochum Zafira plant - Londoner
Make Ellesmere safer, yes, but sad news all the same for the workforce in Bochum.

Inevitable that some plants have to close.

"Despite rigorous efforts, there was no success in changing the situation," Opel said in a statement.

"The main reasons are the dramatic declines in the European car market and the enormous overcapacity in the entire European auto industry."

source: www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20663551
 Opel - GM to close Bochum Zafira plant - madf
The French should close half their car plants.. bet they'll close none.
 Opel - GM to close Bochum Zafira plant - Dutchie
Maybe the French are more aware of the backlash if workers lose their jobs.
 Opel - GM to close Bochum Zafira plant - Meldrew
Perhaps the French reckon it is cheaper to give French manufacturers tax breaks and other forms of legal financial help than pay the dole to a large workforce
 Opel - GM to close Bochum Zafira plant - rtj70
Perhaps they do and perhaps that is the cheaper option - it still makes it an illegal state subsidy doesn't it?
 Opel - GM to close Bochum Zafira plant - No FM2R
The French have no issues with either commercial bias or state protectionism. Provided that they are the ones doing it. Equally they have no issues with commercial hypocrisy.

I have worked for them and their government and equally competed against them both.

My personal opinion has depended on which side of the fence I have been at that particular time. But essentially I admire the French for taking a thoroughly pro-french approach.

Much as I admire US for their US bias.

I wish the British were unfairly biased towards the British.
 Opel - GM to close Bochum Zafira plant - Dutchie
We used to be able to buy good quality tools made in the UK.Also clothes Manchester trousers good for the winter.
 Opel - GM to close Bochum Zafira plant - Meldrew
I carefully used the word "legal". I realise complying with the law may cramp what passes for style in a French Government
Latest Forum Posts