Motoring Discussion > Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 27

Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Manatee
goo.gl/E5UXZ
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Dave_
RIP. I went through there about an hour and a half before it happened - it wouldn't surprise me if the low sun was a contributing factor.
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - WillDeBeest
Dirty windscreens, you mean. Hold me up every sunny morning on the M4. I can see fine but it only takes one. Twonks, as I've learned to say. My sympathy to anyone injured or bereaved for want of a minute's work with a £2 microfibre cloth.
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Pat
Tha accident happened at 11.20am so I would think the sun would not be the cause this late in the morning.

Pat
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - WillDeBeest
I hope not, Pat - although it is mid-December, so the sun never gets very high.
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Duncan
Typically, 10 people are killed every day on British roads.

What is so special about this accident?
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Focusless
It made the news because of the number of vehicles involved, people injured, and resulting traffic jams.
And motorway crashes affect a lot of people I guess. The fatal accident on 7th December near here which went unreported until the police appeal for witnesses.

www.thamesvalley.police.uk/newsevents/newsevents-pressreleases/newsevents-pressreleases-item.htm?id=239625
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 11 Dec 12 at 08:39
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Zero
>> It made the news because of the number of vehicles involved, people injured, and resulting
>> traffic jams.
>>
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 11 Dec 12 at 09:09
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - CGNorwich
"Typically, 10 people are killed every day on British roads."

No - around 2,000 per annum or just over 5 per day.

1,901 in 2010/2011
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 11 Dec 12 at 09:10
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Old Navy
A few years ago I came across an accident southbound on the M74 heading into a low sun on a clear blue day with the temperature in the minus teens, fortunately for approaching traffic the police were in attendance with high intensity strobe lights . The road surface was wet and heavily salted, everyone's windscreen washers were frozen (I had a 50% concentrate mix). The people with a little sense were driving at reduced (motorway) speed and stopping on the hard shoulder every couple of miles to clean their screens with snow. The accident was caused by a heavy rear ending, and most people had their rear foglights on after the accident.
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Bill Payer
The accident inquestion was on the South-bound carriageway but I'm quite often driving North in the evening and as come around the bend and stat to go uphill at Junction 15 (Stoke South) the sun can be straight in your face and often the traffic will slow considerably.
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Dutchie
The sun can still blind your vision even in December.
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Bromptonaut
>> The sun can still blind your vision even in December.

More so in December. Was right in my face in London at 09:30 today and will be until Jan/Feb. But by late morning it's quite high in the sky, at least in the south of Britain. Very long shadows even at 13:00 GMT in the Hebrides during late December.
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Zero
Last Saturday, it was low enough to cause problems all day, depending on what direction you were driving
>> Last Saturday, it was low enough to cause problems all day, depending on what direction
>> you were driving

And it will get worse before it gets better (after yer winter solstice).
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Boxsterboy
>> Last Saturday, it was low enough to cause problems all day, depending on what direction
>> you were driving
>>

What, even driving north?
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - commerdriver
>> What, even driving north?
>>
Even driving north it can mess up your view in your mirrors
>> >> What, even driving north?
>> >>
>> Even driving north it can mess up your view in your mirrors
>>

Most drivers don't use them. :-)
Like most BMW drivers I like to look at what's behind me in the loser lanes
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - DP
>> Like most BMW drivers I like to look at what's behind me in the loser
>> lanes

I worry more about the oiks in the BMW lane who are trespassing, are in my way, and who deserve to be tailgated into oblivion.
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - madf
Don't be unkind to BMW drivers. They are clearly severely disabled ** and require our sympathy and support. Such rank prejudice should be punishable by law with a sentence consisting of having to drive a BMW 320 slowly round the M25 obeying all speed limits.. and subject to the jeers of other motorists.

Our thoughts should go out to them at Christmas .

** physically disabled due to inability to use indicators and mentally disabled as lacking in courtesy and common sense..

>> ** physically disabled due to inability to use indicators and mentally disabled as lacking in
>> courtesy and common sense..
>>
To be fair we have done a bulk transfer of most of that wing of the owners club to Audi over the last couple of years
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Londoner
>> To be fair we have done a bulk transfer of most of that wing of
>> the owners club to Audi White Van Man over the last couple of years
>>
Fixed it for you. :-)
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - DP
madf might have a point about indicators on BMWs. After driving BMWs for nearly 18 months, the stupid system used in these cars still drives me nuts.
As for driving slowly around the M25.....when was the last time he or anyone else did otherwise?
Last edited by: DP on Tue 11 Dec 12 at 16:45
>> To be fair we have done a bulk transfer of most of that wing of
>> the owners club to Audi over the last couple of years
>>

No difference, it is only badge engineering and swapping ends for the drive wheels, for a while anyway. :-)

www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/bmw/fwd-bmw-1-series-scooped
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Dave_
>> The accident happened at 11.20am so I would think the sun would not be the
>> cause this late in the morning.

I was running from Sandbach at 0930 to Northampton by 1200 Pat. The low sun was a big problem all the way down - both when it was in front of me reflecting off the wet, salted road down as far as the M5 and then to my right from there onwards creating glare across the white, salt-sprayed side window. My 7.5t sunvisors don't flip around to the side, and the side windows and mirrors were getting difficult to see through within 10 miles of a clean - I cleaned them twice on that leg of the journey alone.

I wouldn't expect every driver on the M6 to have the same level of eyesight or to have clean windows inside and out, and it would only take one unfortunate driver dazzled for a few seconds at the wrong moment to trigger the kind of crash we saw on Monday.
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 11 Dec 12 at 19:20
 Fatal crash on M6, Cheshire - Armel Coussine
>> it would only take one unfortunate driver dazzled for a few seconds at the wrong moment to trigger the kind of crash we saw on Monday.

Don't people back off and take care when the windscreen is filthy? I do.
Latest Forum Posts