Motoring Discussion > Model query Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 20

Model query - Rudedog
I'm shortly going to be looking for a first car for my son and daughter to share, now being a VAG man I've always fancied a nice Lupo with the 1 litre petrol engine, but if I can't find one I know that the SEAT Arosa is based on the same plan but does anyone know if there was a equivalent Skoda model?
 Model query - Avant
No, I'm sure there wasn't a Skoda version: it was just the Lupo and the Arosa.
 Model query - Gromit
Correct: at the same time the Lupo and Arosa were launched, Skoda were still offering the Felicia alongside the new Fabia as their entry-level car.

AFAIK, there wasn't much in it between the cost of a Lupo or Arosa and the lowest-spec Polo or Ibiza of the day, either.
 Model query - Lygonos
>> now being a VAG man

awaits BBD.
 Model query - bathtub tom
Blinkered thinking. Panda?
 Model query - Rudedog
I know that wasn't probably the best thing to admit to but please cut me a little slack.
 Model query - Bill Payer
Aren't used Lupos stupidly priced (high)?
 Model query - rtj70
The spec of the Lupos was pretty poor. And you can probably get a newer Panda than a Lupo for the same money. The Panda is a good car IMO.
 Model query - Focusless
FWIW (IIRC) the Lupo/Arose did pretty poorly in reliability surveys - mentioned in the HJ report:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/seat/arosa-1997/
 Model query - Focusless
About the Lupo: "A Seat Arosa does it all for less money. The 1.0 is painfully slow."
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/volkswagen/lupo-1999/
 Model query - sooty123
Another one for a look at a Panda, I know two people that have them. Between them they've put ~40k on them with nothing apart from service items.
 Model query - Boxsterboy
I suspect your son and daughter prefer the thought of a Lupo GTI over a Panda!
 Model query - Old Navy
Mrs ON ran a diesel Arosa for about five years, used as a shopping trolley, and with as much care, other than consumables it only required a brake servo vacuum pipe which was replaced on a recall. I have never suffered from brand loyalty, as long as it does the job, and is safe and comfortable it will do for me.

Model query - TheManWithNoName
a friends son has recently bought himself an Arosa. It broke down a lot due to a coil pack but once replaced he loves it and apparently its a great little car.
 Model query - Lygonos
>>I suspect your son and daughter prefer the thought of a Lupo GTI over a Panda!

The Panda 100hp is a decent little buggy apparently.

Not as good as a Swift of course ;-)
 Model query - WillDeBeest
...please cut me a little slack.

Slack VAG. Where is BBD?
 Model query - L'escargot
>> I'm shortly going to be looking for a first car for my son and daughter
>> to share, ...........

Just make sure it's got a "cool" image and it's not something that they're going to be ashamed to be seen driving!
 Model query - BobbyG
Rudedog, recently had a look at this for my 17 year old daughter although in the end didn't buy.

However I would advise that you have a look at the websites that show all the ins groups - I know its not trendy but for instance the Fabia 1.2 was one of the lowest insurance groupings.

www.parkers.co.uk/cars/advice/car-insurance-groups/

Model query - Robin O'Reliant
I clocked up 90k in two years on a Lupo as a driving school car. Ran as sweetly when I sold it as when it came out of the showroom. At the time the diesel I had was a grand dearer than the same model with the Arosa badge.
 Model query - Rudedog
Thanks everyone. My daughter likes the Lupo especially in the gaudy green.
 Model query - Dave_
I had a rental Lupo when they first came out (T reg), I was very impressed. The SEAT Arosa was essentially the same car but without the cutesy round headlights, and no there wasn't a Skoda version.
Latest Forum Posts