Motoring Discussion > Scraping off the headlights & indicators. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 8

Scraping off the headlights & indicators. - henry k
Lots of info about cleaning windows but very few car users seem to clean the frost off their headlamps & indicators.
That really is a bit too much effort.
  Scraping off the headlights & indicators. - Old Navy
I do, I either have OCD, or I am old enough to remember the "See and be seen" campaign. I also give them a wipe during stops on long haul journeys on dirty roads.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 13 Dec 12 at 11:27
  Scraping off the headlights & indicators. - Cliff Pope
I'm always surprised when I clean filth off headlights what a difference it makes. Obvious really, and rather stupid not to have thought of it more often.
  Scraping off the headlights & indicators. - Slidingpillar
I also clean my lights - and number plates. Surprising how many cars go by with completely unreadable numberplates. Asking for a tug from the boys in blue, but these days, snarks seem more common, even boojum snarks... (google is your friend if you don't know what I'm on about).
  Scraping off the headlights & indicators. - CGNorwich
"Surprising how many cars go by with completely unreadable numberplates. Asking for a tug from the boys in blue,"

Likelihood of being stopped by police = virtually nil

Likelihood of passing a speed camera = very high

Not really surprising after all ;-)
  Scraping off the headlights & indicators. - Old Navy
I may clean my lights but number plates are way OTT. :-)
  Scraping off the headlights & indicators. - Dave_
Part of a trucker's daily checks include cleaning lights, windows, reflectors and numberplates. And keeping them clean throughout the shift, which in this weather can mean three or four times a day. A truck with clearly unwiped lights / number plates is likely to have other areas of neglect and will be ripe for the rubber glove treatment from VOSA.

The headlights on my lorry aren't fantastic anyway, so I jump out and clean them every time I get a chance - they get dirty as quickly as the unwiped parts of the windscreen, for obvious reasons. I clean the car lights at the start of every journey too, my extra brightness headlamp bulbs were expensive and I'd like to use all of their extra brightnessness.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 16 Dec 12 at 18:04
  Scraping off the headlights & indicators. - Alastairw
During the scraping off procedure I turn the lights on. Most of the ice melts from the heat of the bulbs. Every fifth squirt of screen wash then washes the headlights too, though I go through a lot of screenwash as a result.
  Scraping off the headlights & indicators. - Armel Coussine
I seem to remember a clip of someone stopping with their nose across the line with a train coming.

That scraped off their headlights and indicators along with the front bumper and nose pressing.

Latest Forum Posts