Motoring Discussion > The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 18

The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - henry k
Just my luck.
I have, for the first time in my motoring life, after decades old plastic makedoes, bought a nice Desmo traditional chrome with logo, quality tax disk holder.t

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2247833/Is-end-road-tax-disc-Scrapping-paper-version-cut-costs-streamline-services-motorists-say-ministers.html?ICO=most_read_module
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - Crankcase
And I've only just paid a tenner for a tax disc two days ago. Blow.

I'm not sure about the "no paperwork for reminders, only texts/emails" approach. There are a number of people in my family - and not aged 100 - who don't/won't/can't have access to that kind of modern tomfoolery.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Fri 14 Dec 12 at 11:31
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - Gromit
Makes sense. What would make even more sense is to abolish road tax altogether and charge it on fuel instead. That eliminates tax dodging, and duplication of effort between collecting VAT and excise from fuel sales as well as the road tax system.

Better again, go a step further and introduce Aussie-style third party insurance on the cost of fuel. No more uninsured drivers either!
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - TheManWithNoName
Oh woe.
No more posts on whether to put the new disc in the windscreen at midnight or the night before. Wiailly, wailly, wailly!
How will the forum cope?

;-)
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - Zero
Here the question!

Are you a thrower away of the old disk? do you stick it in a drawer? or do you leave it in the holder and cover it with the new one, to the point where you can fit no more disks in the holder?

The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - No FM2R
I am a thrower-away.
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - commerdriver
I confess, I am a disc holder stuffer
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - TheManWithNoName
I was a stuffer up to about 4 or 5 discs then I think to myself ' why the hell am I keeping them. Theyre useless once expired!'.
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - Fenlander
My new-to-me car has been stuffed by the previous owner.... 6yrs of discs in an ugly stretched plastic wallet thing stuck inside the screen. I'll get a new holder (budget max £1) and chuck them out.

Halfords will mourn the passing of tax discs as they seem to have cornered the chav Corsa market with their... Carbon Ultra Lite Tax Disc Holder 'Silver' has a real carbon fibre back plate and a stunning CNC machined design... at only £20!!
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - diddy1234
that's to match the chav replacement gear leaver and chrome furry dice. he he
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - Cliff Pope
Get your reproduction tax discs here:

www.poplargreg.com/taxdiscs/taxdiscs2/indexdiscs.htm
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - bathtub tom
I've put the last five on top of what's already in the KIA. The cheap, stick-on holder is now horizontal under the weight. If they'd previously been renewed every six months, there's the potential for nearly forty in there now.

Let's see who's got the oldest in their car.

Just checked and I'm surprised to find the bottom one expired 08/04.
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - Zero
Thats not fair, You know none of run around in heaps that old,
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - madf
Somewhere I have the tax disc for 1936 I found when I first cleaned the 1929 Riley 9 I bought 47 years ago...
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - Fullchat
There is something very mildly theraputic about placing a new tax disc on your vehicle. A feeling of getting a little something in return out of being robbed.
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - Robin O'Reliant
>> Makes sense. What would make even more sense is to abolish road tax altogether and
>> charge it on fuel instead.

Not to people like myself who rack up higher than average mileages because my car is used for business.
>>
>> Better again, go a step further and introduce Aussie-style third party insurance on the cost
>> of fuel. No more uninsured drivers either!
>>
Makes sense if don't mind paying a massively increased levy to cover the "One crash a Month" brigade who no commercial company would touch.
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - DP
>> Makes sense if don't mind paying a massively increased levy to cover the "One crash
>> a Month" brigade who no commercial company would touch.

Thing is, the Aussies still enjoy sub AUS$1.50/litre prices for Unleaded, even with these levies in place.

That's under a quid a litre at current exchange rates.
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - Robin O'Reliant
>>
>> Thing is, the Aussies still enjoy sub AUS$1.50/litre prices for Unleaded, even with these levies in place.
>>
>> That's under a quid a litre at current exchange rates.
>>
That's because the Aussie government doesn't use the motorist as a cash cow. Ours does, which is why I would not like them to have charge of insurance premiums.
 The end is nigh! Tax disk to go ? - Mike H
>> Better again, go a step further and introduce Aussie-style third party insurance on the cost
>> of fuel. No more uninsured drivers either!
>>
.....or collect it through the insurance, like they do here in Austria I pay one sum to my insurance company and that's it.
Latest Forum Posts