Motoring Discussion > Subaru - 6m sales in the US! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 20

Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - Auntie Lockbrakes
Subaru proudly claim they have now sold 6 million cars in the USA, and that 96 per cent of Subarus built in the last 10 years are still on the road today!

In the US market, Subaru is the only carmaker to have five consecutive years of sales increases during 2008-2012. The brand has also shattered its previous annual sales records for the past four years.

Subaru broke its 2011 annual sales record in October, with more than two months remaining in the year.

So what are the US importers doing right in the USA, that we are not seeing these success levels in UK/Europe?? Surely more to it than just pricing??
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - Armel Coussine
Subarus are thirsty by European/Oriental standards, but they would seem quite economical in the US. Plus the US, like the Antipodes, has a lot of dirt roads where 4wd and strong chassis count for a lot. The 4wd must be useful in winter in the northern States too.

I haven't driven the sort of Subaru I fancy, only a big fat SUV thing whose name I forget, in New Zealand actually. It was a great vehicle and I loved it, but the one I would like would be a car, but not blinged up (no whale tails for me) or turbocharged, and decently shabby but mechanically perfect... but I haven't got the bread. There's something very appealing about a flat-four sewing machine unit redlined at 7,000, Mmmmm...
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - Auntie Lockbrakes
Thar would have been the Subaru Tribeca, Lud? 3.6 litre petrol IIRC.

Subaru has a huge following in these parts too. Predominantly used Japanese import Legacy estates and Foresters. Not uncommon to see 10, 12, or even 15-year old examples on the roads here. Whilst car purchase prices (new or used) are high in these parts, no one seems to pay any real attention to fuel consumption, so no criticism aimed at Subaru on that score...
It wasn't called that, there are two jeepish looking models and it was one of those. The engine was very smooth but to my surprise only a four. Must have been quite a big one though, 2.5litre at least.

My BiL's car. He's a doctor and needs to be mobile at all times.
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - Stuu
Sales have been well down these last few years, I wouldnt be suprised to see Subaru disappear. Possibly the only thing that saves them is the bigger margins.
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - Falkirk Bairn
I would not be surprised to see further losses in sales for Subaru in the UK....franchises closing everywhere and those sites remaining being hybrid sites......local one to me is Subaru, Isuzu, Chrysler & Jeep.

In comparing Subaru US & UK it is chalk and cheese

Impreza - new model in US/no new Imprezas in UK for 2 years
Forester - range of engines/model levels in US - 1 x petrol & 1 x diesel UK although new models due 2013
Legacy starts at $21,000 in US, about £24K here
Outback - similar price hikes
XV given poor reports on launch here, especially re price
BRZ - launched and run out of models almost immediately and you cannot build a business based on 2dr Coupe

Tribeca - 3.6 litre petrol not sold here as the 3.0 ltr was too juicy

For the UK to sell Subarus in any volume they need Better MPG, USA sourcing rather than Japan, as it is cheaper and should give better street prices.

But then again maybe it might be too late as the horse may have bolted - always difficult to build any volume when the trend has been down year on year for so long and franchises have closed or changed to another make.
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - legacylad
Buoyant US sales are primarily down to the price of gas and reliability in my opinion.
My northern CA friends need 4WD as they live in the Sierra foothills near Tahoe and are on their 2nd Outback...their first was 15yo when sold.Their 2nd is 5yo and still like new.

They now have 3 cars....he used to drive to work in his Toyota Tundra 4.7 V8 but now has a Scion for commuting, only using the Tundra to haul his kayaks, friends and their skis around. Plenty of their neighbours also run Outbacks & Foresters.So would I in their circumstances.
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - Dave
Subaru here (Sweden) are only out sold in the 4wd category by the XC60, Qashqai and Sportage.
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - Bill Payer
Colleague in Finland changes cars pretty often but says the Forester was the best car he's had.

I guess they fall foul of the usual UK issue that 50% of the car market is company cars and they're going to be pretty bad for tax. Plus they're in niche like Audi All-Road etc that is pretty narrow.
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - -
Always a niche market, respected by those in the know for their quality and competence but VED situation killed them off IMO, as it has virtually every decent sized adequately powered petrol engined car, except for the expensive high image brands bought by those who have almost unlimited budgets.
Not helped by the exchange rate.

Pleased they are doing well elsewhere though.
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - bathtub tom
>>The engine was very smooth but to my surprise only a four.

Any horizontally opposed engine should be smooth, if running properly. Not that you'd know it from most of the 2CVs and old Beetles I've experienced.
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - Gromit
If its not the Tribeca, that must have been a Forester Turbo. Very nice...
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - idle_chatterer
>>
>> So what are the US importers doing right in the USA, that we are not
>> seeing these success levels in UK/Europe?? Surely more to it than just pricing??
>>

Similarly Subarus are very popular in Australia, I suspect that their durability and reliability is a key attraction and petrol is relatively cheap by European standards despite the carbon taxes introduced in the past few years.
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - Boxsterboy
Subaru are also the top selling car in Switzerland. The problem here is:

1. They don't do an auto box with their diesel.
2. The high consumption of the petrols makes them expensive as Company Cars.
3. They seem to be fitting dreaded CVT boxes to the petrols.
4. Interiors are dated and way behind Audi Allroads for perceived quality.
5. No image.
>> Subaru are also the top selling car in Switzerland. The problem here is:
>>
>> 1. They don't do an auto box with their diesel.
>> 2. The high consumption of the petrols makes them expensive as Company Cars.
>> 3. They seem to be fitting dreaded CVT boxes to the petrols.
>> 4. Interiors are dated and way behind Audi Allroads for perceived quality.
>> 5. No image.
>>

Well I nearly bought a Forester a couple of months ago. The 4 cylinder 2.5L petrol motor was very refined but lacked torque compared to the diesel I'd have preferred. Fuel economy is claimed to be reasonable by Australian standards but would be too high for the UK market. I thought the auto was a conventional torque-converter though? There is a turbo version but I didn't try it on the grounds of purchase cost and thirst.

I have tried the diesel, again it's refined but I thought it lacked torque low-down and there's no auto (key in Aus), it could do with a bit more power too IMHO.

I don't see them as competitors to Audi, their interiors are OK by Japanese standards and hard wearing (which is the point after all) Their competitors in Aus are Toyota, Honda and Mitsubishi plus perhaps Holden and Ford.

We bought a Golf instead, I still see Foresters and Liberty (Legacy) estates and wonder why I didn't get one, maybe if we stay in Aus I'll buy one - a diesel auto is rumoured for next year.
I think my BiL's car in NZ is a Forester. And I agree the 2.5litre four has to be revved to shift the hefty beast. But it does rev fairly willingly.

I agree about torqueless modern diesels too. My daughter's Merc A class 1.6 diesel really has to be driven like a petrol car. I don't suppose she even notices, but I find it a bit annoying. Perhaps though these things are more economical or longer lasting or something.
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - legacylad
I totally agree i_c

Their interiors let them down. The Legacy estates I owned were very functional and hardwearing. Even after several years and six figure mileages they scrubbed up well, but the showroom appeal was minimal.

Today I had a ride out in a new A3 and an outgoing '62 plate A3 soft top which was a friends loan car. They were both several leagues better in terms of quality materials, and even my friends '09 A3 with 162k miles on the clock was rattle free and a nice place to sit in.
>>I thought the auto was a conventional torque-converter though?

Forester is a conventional auto - New Forester due Jan 2013 in US is CVT like the current Legacy & Outback 2.5 litre cars.

Even the new 285BHP Turbo'd2.5 litre Forester will be a strengthened CVT in the US at least - whether it makes to UK is another matter

The 3.6 Litre Legacy/Outback is still currently a torque converter however.
 Subaru - 6m sales in the US! - Lygonos
>>The 3.6 Litre Legacy/Outback is still currently a torque converter however

I think they pulled the 'halo' models from the UK.

230g/km CO2 emissions killed them at birth.

Like Honda's S2000 - couple of g/km off and they would've had a chance.
>>
>> Forester is a conventional auto - New Forester due Jan 2013 in US is CVT
>> like the current Legacy & Outback 2.5 litre cars.
>>

The new Forester is advertised on the Subaru AU website for early 2013, looks like a major (and not altogether successful from the front IMHO) face lift of the current Forester to me.

Has a range of engines including a 2.0L petrol replacing the 2.5L engine in manual versions whilst the 2.5L is now only available as a Lineatronic CVT as you say. The Turbo is also reduced to a 2.0L with Lineatronic CVT only whilst the Diesel is still a manual-only and could do with more power IMHO.

I guess the 2.0L petrol (normally aspirated and turbocharged) will be little less thirsty than the outgoing 2.5L, not sure of the power and torque outputs.
HJ site reports

Subaru has confirmed that it has imported its last WRX STI and Impreza into the UK, in order to concentrate on its range of SUVs – the XV, Outback and Forester - and the BRZ sports car. Supplies of the WRX are expected to dry up by the end of spring 2013.

The decision to drop the flat-four powered hatchback and saloon has been made because the car has been struggling to sell in the UK - high emissions and list-price mean that the once-celebrated car can no longer compete with newer rivals.

" high emissions and list-price mean that the once-celebrated car can no longer compete with newer rivals." SELL @ USA sourced pricing and it would sell! IMHO
Latest Forum Posts