Motoring Discussion > 88 parking tickets in just two years Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 16

88 parking tickets in just two years - VxFan
The driver of a luxury 4x4 has racked up 88 parking tickets in the city centre of Cambridge in just two years, making the vehicle the most ticketed in the area.

On average, more than one ticket every 10 days has been slapped on the Audi Q7 – which is worth about £45,000 – for flouting city centre parking rules since November 2010.

The driver of the Audi 4x4 has forked out £2,250 on parking fines in the past two years – that sum would have stood at £4,500 if they had not been paid within a fortnight.

tinyurl.com/cbbazy4 - www.cambridge-news.co.uk

88 parking tickets in just two years - Dave_
I know a computer engineer who used to park on the yellow lines near a particular customer and get a £16 ticket every time he did so... He said the NCP car park nearby was £15 for 24hrs so it was worth the extra quid to be able to park right outside for the day.
 88 parking tickets in just two years - rtj70
How did he claim the fine on expenses? The parking could be claimed?
 88 parking tickets in just two years - Crankcase
From those figures the Q7 owner paid about £25 per ticket. Over 5 hours in the city centre Grand Arcade car park is now £24.

We used to have tow trucks, but they long since went as the whole city would seize up when they were used. Made it all worse. Little streets just can't cope with all the manoeuvering. There's talk of bringing them back but the streets are no bigger.

88 parking tickets in just two years - BobbyG
There was a long running feud a cyear or so ago in Glasgow between one wealthy guy and the Council.
He used to just randomly park on yellow lines for the day and would get a ticket. As above, he said it worked out cheaper and more convenient for him to do it this way.

He had a Rolls Royce Phantom and some big American Pick up thing that he knew, and the Council knew, were too big and heavy for the Council lorries that usually pick up illegally parked vehicles and take to compounds.

Article
www.heraldscotland.com/the-phantom-parker-is-not-just-the-ticket-for-city-council-1.870068
Last edited by: BobbyG on Sun 16 Dec 12 at 09:15
 88 parking tickets in just two years - Westpig
I can remember something similar from an article quite some years back in Police magazine.

Habitual parker on yellows; eventual tow truck; big bad dog in the car next time....and then eventually laxative chocolate posted through the partially open windows left open for the dog...followed by a weary complaint that went nowhere; and the bad parking stopped.
>> The driver of a luxury 4x4 has racked up 88 parking tickets in the city
>> centre of Cambridge in just two years, making the vehicle the most ticketed in the
>> area.

>> tinyurl.com/cbbazy4 - www.cambridge-news.co.uk
>>
The moral of the story has to be that the local parking charges are too expensive then.
 88 parking tickets in just two years - Fursty Ferret
>> The moral of the story has to be that the local parking charges are too
>> expensive then.
>>

No, the moral of the story is that if you're both rich and ignorant enough you can choose which laws apply to you.
Last edited by: VxFan on Sun 16 Dec 12 at 18:00
 88 parking tickets in just two years - No FM2R
>>the moral of the story is that if you're both rich and ignorant enough you can choose which laws apply to you.

So if a parking fine was only 1p, then you would still never park illegally?
>> No, the moral of the story is that if you're both rich and ignorant enough
>> you can choose which laws apply to you.
>>

The council has got something badly wrong.

If it costs £24 per day to park in a local car park, but £25 per day to cop a ticket and you only get a ticket on average every 10 days (£2.50 per day average), then it's significantly more financially advantageous to illegally park.

I'm surprised more don't do it.

If it was outright anti-social behaviour I'd look down my nose at it...but having lived in a city for 30 years that would put yellow lines down roads you could park a bus in sideways...then I'd suggest the local authority needs an urgent re-think.

The balance is all wrong.
 88 parking tickets in just two years - Crankcase
>> The moral of the story has to be that the local parking charges are too
>> expensive then.

The thinking is that it will discourage cars from the city as it's already at maximum capacity.

The reality is you get traffic stationary everywhere at peak times but all the drivers are rich. The merely wealthy and pensioners can afford to use the guided bus and the rest of us shop in Peterborough.

Last edited by: Crankcase on Sun 16 Dec 12 at 16:53
 88 parking tickets in just two years - NortonES2
USA for once has an answer: "In Claremont, Calif., for example, the first ticket for overtime parking in a calendar year is $35, the second $70 and the third $105. For illegally using a disabled parking space, the first ticket is $325, the second $650 and the third $975." On an exponential, or steeply rising scale, even the rich bar sinisters would take note.
 88 parking tickets in just two years - Zero
At £140 quid (£75 if paid within 14 days) a ticket, few people use yellow lines as car parks in parts of London.
 88 parking tickets in just two years - RattleandSmoke
It is about time points were issues for parking offences. I am getting sick of the same old people parking illegally outside schools. I went past a school in Longsight the other day and it was so bad they had all double parked. A load on the pavement and then a load on the double yellow lines next to it!.

88 parking tickets in just two years - No FM2R
>>It is about time points were issues for parking offences. I am getting sick of the same old people parking illegally outside schools

The problem is Rattle, the desire is not to stop illegal parking, only to get money from it.

If you wanted to stop it you'd make car crushing and house confiscation the penalties.

Just like the London Congestion Charge; Its not to reduce congestion, its to derive revenue from it. If they wanted to stop cars, it'd be £1,000,000 per day.
 88 parking tickets in just two years - Armel Coussine
>> I am getting sick of the same old people parking illegally outside schools. I went past a school in Longsight the other day and it was so bad they had all double parked. A load on the pavement and then a load on the double yellow lines next to it!.

Why do you care Sheikha?

Think of it as a bit of extra traffic calming for a total of an hour or so a day to save reckless fools of speed-limit ignorers from getting speeding tickets.

I should think they would have saved even you a small fortune by now, you heavy-footed hooligan you.

:o}
 88 parking tickets in just two years - VxFan
>> I am getting sick of the same old people parking illegally outside schools.

No young single mums then?
Latest Forum Posts