Motoring Discussion > Blue lights regs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Rudedog Replies: 12

Blue lights regs - Rudedog
I've noticed over the past few months an increase in the number of cars/vans that have some kind of blue lights displayed on the front of the vehicle, it used to be the odd blue looking bulb but now I've seen a full set of bright blue LEDs around the grill and a pair of replacement fog lights that seemed to have a strobe effect.

I thought forward facing blue lighting was a no no? or have these regs been relaxed?
 Blue lights regs - Fullchat
Very basically the Lighting Regs. do not permit showing a red light to the front or a white light to the rear. So any other colour is 'permitted' providing it does not flash. As regards the fog lights these would fall into EU marking regulations but again should not have a strobe effect.
 Blue lights regs - VxFan
>> As regards the fog lights these would fall into EU marking regulations
>> but again should not have a strobe effect.

It's most probably the cars CanBus network causing them to strobe/flicker. The bulb check system continually monitors for blown bulbs. With standard filament bulbs you don't see it, but you do with LEDs. If the lights were turned on however, the strobing should stop.
 Blue lights regs - Rudedog
Ok that would explain things, I'll have to stop muttering "illegal" to my fellow passengers when I see a car with front facing blue lights (unless they are flashing of course!)
 Blue lights regs - CGNorwich
Under the Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989, it states "except for emergency vehicles it is an offence to fit a blue warning beacon or special warning lamp or device resembling such whether working or not.

It depends what is construed by the phrase "blue warning beacon or special warning lamp".

I guess if the vehicle can be mistaken for an emergency vehicle you would be in trouble.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 18 Dec 12 at 08:09
 Blue lights regs - Crankcase
What's the deal with tow trucks and the like having their flashing ambers on all the time as they drive? I seem to recall in the dim and distant that you could only show those when actually stopped and loading a car or some such. Either the rules have changed or my memory is wrong.
 Blue lights regs - BobbyG
Its the tow trucks and long load lorries which have the strobe effect LEDS just at eye level that annoy me!
Positively dangerous when following them.

On a separate note, was out in van yesterday and was in stop start traffic behind a Merc driver who kept foot on brake every time we stopped. I had to move the van closer to him than I normally would just to get my line of vision away from the lights. Positively blinding!!
 Blue lights regs - Cliff Pope
I've noticed that the fashion for lorry drivers of a certain persuasion to fit small blue lights in the cab has broadened, and many cars now have blue lights around the grill.
Blue seems to be the fashionable colour this year, Christmas decorations increasingly feature blue lights too. Perhaps it is something to do with gay solidarity.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Tue 18 Dec 12 at 08:14
 Blue lights regs - Ted

I remember, years ago, pulling over to let a car pass 'cos it had blue flashing lights behind the grille. When it passed, I saw it was some sort of Japanese sports thing with two 20 something lads aboard...good way of making progress until they get a tug, I suppose.

I've been plagued by cars up me chuff with fog lights on this week. All were Mercedes...three in one short trip. I guess it's fashion but who are they trying to impress ? Not me anyway...I just carried on mimsing along at 30.

Came up behind one of those big 8 legged tippers at the lights yesterday. He was turning right but not bothering to signal. He did, however, have two blinding amber strobe lights on his back axle at a normal car's eye level. I was a bit higher in the Suzi so not as much effect.

Ted
 Blue lights regs - Armel Coussine
I'd really love flashing blue lights inside the front grille, a la Buckingham Palace or Whitehall pool car. But I'm too old to ask for trouble like that. Sigh.
 Blue lights regs - Dave_
>> was in stop start traffic behind a Merc driver who kept foot on brake every time we stopped.
>> Positively blinding!!

I can answer this one... I drove a new C220CDI automatic into London last week, fitted with LED brake lights and stop/start. The stop/start on an auto Merc works with in Drive but not in Neutral. So to make the engine stop you keep it in Drive and hold the car stationary with the footbrake. As you start to release the pedal the engine springs back into life. I tried going into Neutral and applying the parking brake but the engine kept running.

I like stop/start. However I don't like dazzling the driver behind me with my brake lights, nor do I like hot-spotting my brake discs. Seems like I have to choose one or the other in an auto Merc.
 Blue lights regs - Dave_
I've seen more unmarked cars fitted with concealed FBLs lately. I assume from Gadget's blog and other places that law enforcement officers and senior fire service bods can have them fitted to their (company) cars to allow out-of-hours swift progress to incidents when needed.

Or there could be the same number of unmarked cars around and less marked ones now, so we notice the unmarked ones more :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Tue 18 Dec 12 at 21:47
 Blue lights regs - Fullchat
"I assume from Gadget's blog and other places that law enforcement officers and senior fire service bods can have them fitted to their (company) cars to allow out-of-hours swift progress to incidents when needed."

Company cars. May also have something to do with tax exemptions.
Latest Forum Posts