Motoring Discussion > pick up new car Sat. dealer registered yesterday? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: R40 Replies: 15

pick up new car Sat. dealer registered yesterday? - R40

Would be grateful for guidance on this point as I feel out of my comfort zone here:

Have arranged to pick up swmbo brand new car on Saturday 21st - the car arrives in the Dealership on Thursday 19th. Dealer has sent through for signature its own 'confirmation of registration details' form showing the reg plate, vin and date of registration as 17 December, i.e. yesterday.

Not sure myself why the car is being registered when it is not at dealer/before we are able to collect it? Appreciate it is only days and may not make any difference.

Financing part of the cost via % free credit. Similarly the HP papers are dated yesterday and the 7 day cooling off period goes from when we are being asked to sign (today) which is four days before we collect the car, so reducing the cooling off to 3 days from car collection.

Am I getting a bit anal with the detail or..................

Thank you

R40

pick up new car Sat. dealer registered yesterday? - PeterS
My car was registered a couple of days before I picked it up, but that's because the dealer wanted / needed to register it before the end of October and I couldn't collect until November 1st. As I got what I thought was a good deal (in line with DtD pricing) I was happy with that. On the other hand our Up! was registered the day I picked it up.

I'm not sure it makes any difference - it is only a few days - but if you want it registering on the 21st I'd amend the paperwork you've been sent before signing and returning. IIRC the document you've been asked to sign is confirming that the registration details are correct, so if they're not then change them :-)
 pick up new car Sat. dealer registered yesterday? - Manatee
The right to cancel the credit agreement is just that, it's not a right to cancel the contract to buy the car, so as the agreement is interest free it is neither here nor there. The cooling off period (right to cancel) is 14 days not 7.
 pick up new car Sat. dealer registered yesterday? - Crankcase
Not sure about the detail, except that Saturday is the 22nd, not the 21st. I hope that's not important in your deal.
 pick up new car Sat. dealer registered yesterday? - Zero
you cant expect the car to be registered the day you pick it up, specially if you want to pick it up on a saturday.
 pick up new car Sat. dealer registered yesterday? - Bromptonaut
If it was made to look a month or e registration period older then trade value might be affected in first few years.

As long as registration and collection are proximate and in same month I don't think you've got too much to worry about.

Many thanks for all comments, and date correction ;) I'll stop worrying and look forward to collection.........
 pick up new car Sat. dealer registered yesterday? - Bill Payer
I've bought a fair number of new cars in the last few years and they've always been registered on the day of collection. The dealers do it online and produce the tax disc.

We did have a bit of a bun-fight with the dealer we bought a Golf from last year - they wouldn't allow collection at the weekend. All sorts of reasons but one of them was that if anything goes wrong with the registration process it's a pain to try and sort it out at the weekend.

I thought they didn't like to do it in advance in case you didn't turn up!

ETA: I remember a Clio we bought some years ago was delivered to us a couple of days before the 1st Aug new reg date, but it still showed 1st Aug (obviously, it had to, to get the new letter).
Last edited by: Bill Payer on Tue 18 Dec 12 at 13:21
 pick up new car Sat. dealer registered yesterday? - Dave_
>> I remember a Clio we bought some years ago was delivered to us a couple of days before the
>> 1st Aug new reg date, but it still showed 1st Aug

I drive a single car transporter and we often deliver new cars from a fleet PDI centre. We can usually collect them the night before, showroom condition, tax in the window and ready to go - with the date of first registration being the delivery date. i.e. the Passat in my lorry right now back at the yard has a registration date of 19th Dec and will be 0 days old when I hand it over in the morning.
 pick up new car Sat. dealer registered yesterday? - PeterS
>> you cant expect the car to be registered the day you pick it up, specially
>> if you want to pick it up on a saturday.
>>

I think that now a lot, if not all, dealers register vehicles online it can be done. Reason I say that is that September 1st was a a Saturday this year and that's when I picked up our Up! Its V5C shows a date of first registration on September 1st. I expect the actual admin was done the week before but forward dated though
>>All sorts of reasons but one of them was that if anything goes wrong with the registration >>process it's a pain to try and sort it out at the weekend.

Exactly, is that unreasonable? Systems can and do go wrong, what would you prefer a car registered on Thursday, or be told to come back on Monday cos the system is down.
 pick up new car Sat. dealer registered yesterday? - Manatee
Ah but yes but no but...what about the 5 days warranty they've diddled him out of?

I've just realised I have a car that was registered about a week before I picked it up !
Manatee,

Thank you. A top point..................I will ensure that the warranty is for the full period.

R40
Just to round this discussion off I popped into the Dealer this morning. I raised the question of the start date for the car warranty and they said they'll make sure it is the date we collect the car (Saturday 22 December) so a result and thanks again Manatee.

On the date of registration, though the Nissan paperwork said 17th Dealer explained that the car had not yet been registered and so would likely be done Friday.

Co-incidentally the car itself had been delivered by the transporter just before I arrived so was able to get a good look at it. Now looking forward to Saturday.

It's a Nissan Juke 1.6 Tekna CVT in Nightshade (deep purple/blackish depending on the light). We chose it over a MINI and Alfa mainly because it is the one car swmbo (who is not at all tall) has been able to find a driving position w'out having her back badly angled forward and face and body pressed up against the windscreen and wheel. When we test drove it (Dealer gave us one for a day) it was the first time I had seen her driving a car in a position that was relaxed and didn't look painful and awkward.

Car comes with plenty of toys and a decent height off the road. Interior space is similar to MINI Countryman.

Thanks again for all advice.
A Juke? Well done I like them, be prepared for Specsavers comments tho
 pick up new car Sat. dealer registered yesterday? - idle_chatterer
Juke, a very pleasant car - SWMBO had one on rental when we were in Blighty in the summer and did 1500miles in it and liked it a lot.

That was a 1.6 Manual, she particularly liked the driving position and reverse camera IIRC.
Latest Forum Posts