Motoring Discussion > Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: RattleandSmoke Replies: 51

Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - RattleandSmoke
OK I have left everything to last minute. I admit that.

But I suspect the binmen have knocked my mirror off. Not a major problem I thought they are about 40 quid. Ordered the part then realised its the wrong one, even though the website says its a 2010 mirror it shares the part code with a 2004 one. The mirror designed changed in 2009.

So now got to get a refund from Eurocarparts.

Other problem is I wanted to build a PC for my parents Christmas present, without a car its going to be difficult and I have left it too late for on line delivery :(.

Fiat dealer want £102 for the mirror, none colour coded and none electric, but it seems to be the only one which is the correct type :( And even then its apparantly a big of a job to do as it requires a special tool but it is supposed to be possible with pliers. The design of the mirror also means its impossible to tape up :(.

So happy Christmas Rattle :(.

And I am not risking driving without a drivers mirror, in mad city traffic it would be madness.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 19 Dec 12 at 19:04
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - No FM2R
>>And I am not risking driving without a drivers mirror, in mad city traffic it would be madness

Oh for goodness sakes don't be such a jessie.
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Lygonos
You're not Stu, Rats: you've a neck that works.
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Armel Coussine
It won't be madness but the Sheikh is a nervous driver.

The internal mirror may be adjustable to show some of the view through the o/s rear windows as well as the rear screen. Those convex ones were good like that.

Otherwise take special care to check over yr shoulder before pulling out for one of those whiplash overtakes, Rattolo...
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Bromptonaut
>> >>And I am not risking driving without a drivers mirror, in mad city traffic it
>> would be madness

We drove cars without door mirrors for years. A Mini was no problem at all except you had to turn your head and maybe swivel in your seat a bit more than we're used to these days. .
Also probably less traffic and less stupid traffic movements, also you're taught to drive how to use the mirror a lot more now. E.g its automatic I would not want to drive without it.

I am going to see if I can glue it in place for now, might be better than nothing until I have a better chance of sourcing a mirror cheaper.
So you would normally pull into "mad" traffic relying totally on your mirrors and not check over your shoulder as well? So you have no mirror blind spots or need for checking?

Perhaps you're right, you shouldn't drive. With or without the mirror.
Of course I check the blind spots when pulling out or over taking, but I also like to check the mirror as I am driving a long, there are lots of mad cyclists round here and its always very good to check. My hearing is not that great either so I can't always hear things.

The mirror is a none painted, none electric, none heated one, so I think that is very expensive. Humph's was probably a lot more fancy.
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Bromptonaut
IAn,

I'm sure my son & daughter, much closer to your age/driving experience than mine, would have same immediate reaction. But you all should learn to deal with driving with only what FF's profession would call min equipment list items working.

If you're short od a door mirror you just need to twist in the seat. Perhaps, like pilots, driver training should include covering some sorces of information and making you manage on the very basics.
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - mikeyb
Rats, just drive it!

You'll find that if you are used to using the mirror so much that you will automatically compensate and turn your head more when you realise its not there
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - VxFan
>> Rats, just drive it!

Yes, just pretend you're a BMW driver until you get it replaced. They manage quite weill without using their mirrors, so you'll be fine.
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - corax
>> Yes, just pretend you're a BMW driver until you get it replaced. They manage quite
>> weill without using their mirrors, so you'll be fine.

Yawn.

Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Zero
>> >> Yes, just pretend you're a BMW driver until you get it replaced. They manage
>> quite
>> >> weill without using their mirrors, so you'll be fine.
>>
>> Yawn.

A sleepy bmw driver.
>> A sleepy bmw driver.

What are you trying to indicate?
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - PeterS
Glueing is unlikely to work IMO. You're likely to do even more damage, and it'll probably drop off 50m down the road!! And besides, compared to the price Humph paid for a mirror on a Nissan £100 or so seems very reasonable...
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Stuu
Duck tape surely. If it falls off eventually so be it.
Last edited by: FoR on Wed 19 Dec 12 at 18:35
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - sajid
rattle try some super glue, or duct tape, or try the local breakers
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - R.P.
Exactly !
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Old Navy
This outfit may be of help Ratts.

tinyurl.com/d5xzd3f
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Runfer D'Hills
Do you know anyone with a caravan rats? They ( caravanists ) often have clip on extending mirror thingies. Maybe you could borrow one until you get yours sorted, if there's enough of your original one to clip it onto of course.
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Dog
Similar suggestion to Hump - yars and yars ago when we had proper wing mirrors, like, y'all could get a little black or chrome clip-on mirror that Yule fitted to the Lidl quarterlight window ... err, we don't have those anymore either :(
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - bathtub tom
There seems to be plenty on ebay. You could try one or two suppliers by going into their online shops and seeing what they look like.
Ere tis:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eclipse-Car-Door-Mirror-/130822250903?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e759d2197
The other thing you could do is buy one of these ere wide-angle clip-on interior mirrors:

www.amazon.co.uk/Car-Rear-View-Mirror-Click/dp/B004KEZXZO/ref=sr_1_3?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1355949938&sr=1-3
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Runfer D'Hills
Seen this site Rats? Manchester number too...

www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/Wing-Mirrors/Fiat/Fiat-Panda
They are the wrong mirrors, I need the 2010-2012 type which in which no clones seem to exist. I have spent a few hours searching.

The type on my Panda is the same fitted to the new 2012 model Panda. If I am going to buy a mirror it needs to at least match the existing one. All the ones posted here are much smaller. Some EU law changed in 2010 which meant the existing mirror was too small to be legal.

Something like what Humph has just posted may well be ideal for now though, I still want it to fix it properly but it will least get me back on the road until I can sort it out properly.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Eclipse-Car-Door-Mirror-/130822250903?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item1e759d2197

Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - rtj70
Good fine Humph. Except it's 18 miles from Rattle around the M60 and then up to Bury so he won't drive there will he. He could easily do it if he did it when quiet enough for him.
Wrong mirrors as I say, I have already ordered one that is coming tomorrow, but realised despite them saying its a 2010 one, it won't be.

It seems the car parts suppliers have not yet released the design of the mirrors changed in 2010. There is a chance though I might be able to use the mirror that comes tomorrow and builld the correct mirror out of what I have left. E.g my glass and mirror back is still fine so if they fit 2003 mirror it will work.
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Ted

If the casing is still intact, Rattolingus........you can have a lend of my caravan strap-on !

It might stick out a bit far, though. Anyway, if you want to bob round, I fix quite a few temporary for work..it might stitch together.

Ted
>> Seen this site Rats? Manchester number too...
>>
>> www.wingmirrorman.co.uk/Wing-Mirrors/Fiat/Fiat-Panda

But would you buy from a man who doesn't know his door mirrors from his wing mirrors? ;)
Nip round to Ted's Sheikha. He'll cobble it for you.

I'm quite sympathetic really. My own car has such lousy rear visibility and I'm so unathletic in my old age that I use the mirrors and sensors when reversing these days.

But what others say is true: time was when door mirrors were rare, and believe me those trembling ones out on the wing were precious little use by comparison, as well as being pedestrian-gutters. We used to jump around in our cars glancing this way and that. Even now you have do do it in jostling urban traffic.

Why do people driving small cars these days so often drive in a stately, rigid manner ensuring slow and obstructive progress for all around, as if they were piloting colossal limousines with the mayor and his mistress at it in the back? Please, please don't develop as one of those. Driving is an activity, and you have to be able to act.

Rant rant eh? Come on Rats, let's drive to Paris and Milan in your chariot!
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Cliff Pope
I preferred the original saga, "Four Rattles and a funeral".

This one seems to lack human interest. But I suppose it might get better in part II - the thread is but young.
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - BiggerBadderDave
Breaking my back a few months ago has changed a couple of my driving habits.

I no longer drive over speed bumps at 25mph. About 15 now.

And I reverse into parking spaces and my garage without looking around, twisting my spine. I do it all using mirrors. It was tricky at first, reversing into the garage and tucking it tightly 2cm next to the wall using mirrors only - but I do it without thinking now.

Yes Pat, I know you can reverse a 40 ton artic round a corner and park it mm perfect in it's depot without looking through the back window, but I'm learning darling!
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Pat
As I was reading that I was thinking 'Well Done Dave. we'll make a proper driver out of you yet!'....then I read the last bit and laughed:)

Pat
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - CGNorwich
"This one seems to lack human interest. "

Overall it's more reflective though.
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Clk Sec
>>Overall it's more reflective though.

Non-reflective, surely...
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - CGNorwich
Non-reflective, surely...

Well I see it as an attempt out to explain the human predicament of not being able to move forward without the capacity to also look backwards.
Saw things
Clearer
Once you, were in my...Rearview mirror...

Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off.
Once, you were in my ...Rearview mirror...

Pearl Jam
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Fursty Ferret
Talk about coincidence. I accidentally clobbered my own mirror in south Manchester t'other day. Scuttled off quick. Damned annoying, but don't think anyone saw me.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Thu 20 Dec 12 at 12:29
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Ted

Sarf Manchester ?? Gawd, we're all at it. Setting off in one of the firm's Yarises last week, I had a clash of offside mirrors with a black Audi coming towards me. I also felt our back bumpers touch. There was loads of room for him to give more space but no...had to push through.

Neither of us stopped...it just pushed the mirror flat against the door and you just don't stop for any blacked out, black car in the area I was in if you don't have to !

Inspected later but no damage to mirror or bumper...just black scuff marks on my white car.

Brought it back to it's on-street parking bay later and while I was still sat in it someone coming from behind hit the same mirror with his nearside one ! He didn't stop either.

Ted
This blimmin fred has given me the heebie jeebies since I enquired about the cost of a Mitsubishi electric/ heated door mirror.

:-(

Not that I need one (yet!)

:-)
You ****** :)

Now in procession of a weekly bus pass. Thankfully I am not too busy at this time of year so I am tempted to leave it till after Christmas. Nothing left of the original mirror to clip anything onto so I plan to try and get the old mirror off today and then try and get a suck on one until after Christmas.

I can't drive it till I get the old mirror off as its dangling down. I am not sure what Ted could really do as there is very little anchor point left to anything with. I tried taping it up but its too heavy to hold.

>>and get a suck on one until after Christmas.

That'd be my best mental image of the day
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Skip
Is there anyone else on here who would take their car off of the road and use buses over a broken door mirror ?
Last edited by: Skip on Thu 20 Dec 12 at 13:32
As I said its not just a matter of a broken mirror, its a matter of removing the old one. I am not driving it with it dangling off. I don't want to pay for a new door skin as well as a new mirror.
>> I am not driving it with it dangling off.

Haven't you heard of gaffa tape?

>> I don't want to pay for a new door skin

What a relief you didn't mispell that.
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 20 Dec 12 at 13:55
The design of the mirror means gaffer tape does not work. If I took a picture of the problem you will see what I mean. I might take one later up to eyes in a data recovery job atm.
What prevents you from simply detaching it Sheikha? If it's just hanging on wires, cut them. They can be reconnected if necessary when you get the new part.
It is a sort of plastic bolt which hold on it, a quote from a Fiat Forum member "its a pig of a job".

I do have a mirror that will fit, it arrived today but its smaller than the passanger one, its for the 2003-2009 Panda. Mine is a 2010-2012 model.

My dilema is if I should put the smaller mirror on just to get it done with, or wait till I get the proper mirror. I suppose I could simply cut the wires holding the existing one on for now.
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Pat
>>That'd be my best mental image of the day<<

...and mine:0:)

Pat
 Need a good moan - Mirror knocked off. - Victorbox
If it's an electric mirror wait until you find the door card needs to come off because some manufacturers stupidly put the wiring connector inside the door not the mirror housing!
Here's just the thing for the Rat Rod:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clip-on-door-mirror-racing-styled-rat-rod-custom-classic-car-/181048480660?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2a27549394

Universal clip-on fitting.
Latest Forum Posts