Motoring Discussion > Does red paint still fade? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 25

Does red paint still fade? - BobbyG
Have seen a red Beetle as a possible replacement but as much as I love red cars, and used to have a nice shiny red Fabia vrs, I always have at the back of my mind the red Fiestas and Polos that used to turn pink over time.

Does this still happen?
 Does red paint still fade? - Lygonos
Given long enough, yes, and moreso to certain makes of paint. Exposure to UV light and the elements are key. A lack of wax protection won't help.

Non-metallic Red Mazda MX5s apparently can be prone to pinking over time. Metallics seem resistant to this.

My friend's 10yo non-metallic red BMW on the other hand doesn't seem to have noticeably faded at all (resprayed bonnet matches perfectly).

If you're keeping (or planning to at least!) a car for 10 yrs or more I'd strongly consider metallic paint as it appears to wear better anyway.
 Does red paint still fade? - WillDeBeest
There's a Bentley Continental near my offices with paint that the brochure ought to have described as '1985 Cavalier Red'; it looks like an old wreck that's been out in the sun for decades. What possessed anyone to (presumably) pay extra for it is beyond me.
 Does red paint still fade? - Manatee
A lot of flat colours have a clear coat now and I don't think they fade.

1999 MX5s definitely do though.
 Does red paint still fade? - sherlock47
My 1996 P reg Fiesta(Bright? Red) never faded in 14 years and 100K milles. Probably helped by the UV protection of a permanent film of road dirt:)
 Does red paint still fade? - Fenlander
My 2003 Alfa isn't faded and I notice colour cut polish doesn't bring off any red on the cloth so I assume that has a clear coat.
 Does red paint still fade? - Maisie's Dad
Hasn't so far on our 2004 Leon...
 Does red paint still fade? - DP
Our Fiesta Zetec-S was in the bright (Colorado) Red. The paint didn't fade, but much of the body coloured plastics, including the door mirrors and rear roof spoiler did. They were distinctly pink by the time the car was 3 years old.

Bright red is still my favourite car colour though.
 Does red paint still fade? - Victorbox
My 24 year old Cavalier did get one coat of Autoglym Super Resin Polish annually for the 16 years it was my daily driver and the red paint is still not faded at all. I am aware however that similar Vauxhalls washed with Fairy Liquid and never polished would be Vauxhall Flame Pink inside 4 years!
Last edited by: Victorbox on Thu 20 Dec 12 at 14:43
 Does red paint still fade? - Bromptonaut
Cars from 7-10 years ago certainly look faded now. VW and Vauxhall both contribute several examples locally. No idea whether they've been looked after though.
 Does red paint still fade? - spamcan61
Vauxhall do seem to have more of a problem with red than other manufacturers these days, 2006 Zafira near me already turning grey/pink.
 Does red paint still fade? - PhilW
Many years ago, when we had a black Cit BX, we used to refer to one of the other colours available as "faded red". Not noticed it so much these days except on very old cars.
 Does red paint still fade? - Runfer D'Hills
There's a nice looking 2007 1.6 petrol Beetle in black with 19k miles at "Swerve" motors in Rutherglen Bobby... £5990 apparently...

Just saying...

Jingle bells, jingle bells etc...

:-)
Have already seen it Humph - being black it shows up all its scratches very well including the 8 inch long dent in the roof!!

All the feedback I have had says to stay away from petrol Beetles due to

1. Low economy
2. £230 road tax (even the 1.6)
3. After driving the diesel version we will hate the poor power it has and the way it delivers its poor power.

So if she goes with Beetle, it will be something like this
www.cowgatemotorcompany.co.uk/used-cars/volkswagen-beetle-1-9-tdi-3dr-dundee-201248494316475
thus the question!

However, she is now talking about just spending her settlement figure on maybe a wee Clio or something instead :) :) :) :)
Erm, a Renault?

NURSE !!! NURSE !!!!
Its Ok, the Clio doesn't come with a 2.2 diesel......
 Does red paint still fade? - ....
The fact that car is photographed wet would make me suspicious.

My own experience of Tornado red was the roof and bonnet required extra care but that was on a '89 Mk2 Golf.

No harm in looking...
You're maybe right gmac of course but while I dunno about Dundee it seems to have been raining here for as long as anyone can remember...Would've been quite difficult to photograph anything dry !

Does red paint still fade? - Stuu
Most solid colours fade to an extent, worse on Vauxhalls these days, always starts on plastic bits first. Tends to make a difference if they are washed often using pre-wash as if it is mixed too strong it does tend to strip any wax off the paint and most people dont wax their cars even if they do have them washed.

I find that the vast majority of cars over about 5 years old tend to do well from a good polish with a clear difference to be seen before/after. Even metallics can look dull over time if not cared for.
Och here now Bobby my son...

tinyurl.com/ct8r76a

p.s dinnae fash about the postcode, I made it up.

Humph, Acenta is too low spec........
And Humph, don't know if I will have any money leftover after my annual visit to the Clark's sale......
 Does red paint still fade? - Zero
you only buy one pair of shoes.
Its got posh painted wing mirrors though but !

The only difference between an Acenta and a Tekna is the 17" wheels, the leather interior, the panoramic roof, the xenons, the keyless start, the...yeah ok...

>> Most solid colours fade to an extent, worse on Vauxhalls these days, always starts on
>> plastic bits first. Tends to make a difference if they are washed often using pre-wash
>> as if it is mixed too strong it does tend to strip any wax off
>> the paint and most people dont wax their cars even if they do have them
>> washed.
>>
>>
True, SWMBO C4GP went back in April, dark metallic blue with light blue rear plastic trim (it was originally dark metallic blue). The new car is metallic burgundy, the panels which faded from the last car were waxed the first weekend on this one (just in case we decide to keep it)
True Humph, but a well cared for example would bead, that looks like it's had a bucket of Scottish waters finest lobbed over and someone has quickly taken a snap.
Latest Forum Posts