Motoring Discussion > Dancing policeman Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 7

Dancing policeman - Crankcase
Coming to the Met soon?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20797692

No, wait - we don't have policeman doing point duty any more do we. And he'd need a stab vest. Someone would complain about the whistle. And it's probably something-ist. Any accident due to unconventional hand gestures would put all our insurance premiums up, and the cost of the risk assessment would be astronomical.

Otherwise, it's as good as on the streets tomorrow.

Dancing policeman - Old Navy
He does not seem to have a gun, not seen that before across the pond.
 Dancing policeman - Westpig
What a first class 'male bird'.
 Dancing policeman - Armel Coussine
Is officer Lepore of Italian extraction one wonders? Because I can remember seeing a traffic policeman in Rome whose signals and body movements were extremely elegant and entertaining, while crystal clear and highly effective. Seemed to make the drivers happy, improving their behaviour. Even seen a more muted version here, in the days when coppers did that quite often.

One has to approve. Elegant signals can only encourage elegant driving, which is more efficient by definition.
 Dancing policeman - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> No, wait - we don't have policeman doing point duty any more do we.
>>
>>

Apart from at accidents, or very rarely, I have seen a policeman directing traffic at a busy junction when the lights have broken down.
But not real point duty like they used to do, wearing white gloves, and standing on a box thing?
Does the HC still have a section on how to signal to a policeman on point duty which way you want to turn? I remember straight on was holding your hand up like a red Indian saying "How".
They probably went out about the time when the hand signal "I am ready to be overtaken" disappeared.
 Dancing policeman - Ian (Cape Town)
Cliff, are hand signals still part of the test?
(including motorcyclists)
Last edited by: Ian (Cape Town) on Thu 20 Dec 12 at 15:36
 Dancing policeman - Westpig
>> Cliff, are hand signals still part of the test?
>> (including motorcyclists)
>>
Can't answer for the test...but...I think you'll find the traditional British hand signal has evolved somewhat.
 Dancing policeman - Fullchat
This one manages to entertain at the TT:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1HqiUeKpyg
Latest Forum Posts