Motoring Discussion > Blimey, a company with some common sense? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Westpig Replies: 9

Blimey, a company with some common sense? - Westpig
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-20875187
 Blimey, a company with some common sense? - Old Navy
A company with a brilliant attitude. The cracks are starting to appear in the Ambulance services, fewer vehicles, staff, and further to drive to get to A&E due to closures.

Found it -

tinyurl.com/9hat88k
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 31 Dec 12 at 15:54
 Blimey, a company with some common sense? - NortonES2
When the ambulance station 1 mile away is closed, the nearest "hub" to Buxton will be east of Chesterfield, if the computed plan is put in place. Patient will be beyond recovery by the time the emergency response team get here. Not really worth setting out. Net savings achieved. Gong for CEO? I've made a donation to the local (Derbyshire and Leics) air ambulance. Nothing like pre-planning and a reserved seat:)
 Blimey, a company with some common sense? - rtj70
NIL, do they not have paramedic cars stationed nearby as well? We have an ambulance station nearby but still see the paramedics parked up in certain places... or driving around.

I am not agreeing with closures before anyone suggests I am.
There will be a number of outstations (portakbins) at unspecified locations. Stocking, fuelling, cleaning and maintenance will be at the hubs. Crews will need to pick-up and return vehicles to hubs at the beginning and end of the shift. The net result will be ambulances spending more time out of circulation, as I see it. Travel time from Buxton to Chesterfield in good weather is about 50 minutes. In bad weather (winter when most deaths occur) vehicles will struggle with the climb to higher ground west of Chesterfield (circa 300m), descent to the Wye then the rise from the Wye valley up to 300m plus around Buxton. Paramedic provision is not clear: but they don't generally convey patients. They act as first responders. There is a bus service of course:)
 Blimey, a company with some common sense? - Dave_
>> In bad weather ... vehicles will struggle with the climb to higher ground west of Chesterfield

In Leics the fast response cars are Octavia Scouts... Every time I see them they're doing +70mph in town. A customer of ours is in Whaley Bridge, the route there is from Chesterfield up over the tops, sometimes treacherous but seldom impassable.

The local ambo station in Coalville is one of those earmarked for closure, but the alternative standby point will be at the fire station in the same building. I often see patient transport ambulances (Renault Masters usually) on blue lights both ways between here and Leicester some 14 miles distant, so I think our service is already fairly spread-out :(
"sometimes treacherous but seldom impassable."
Time is of the essence in this matter, and EMAS is already amongst the worst performers in response time. Snow and ice and fog slow transit, and such crews as remain in the Buxton area, getting to some point to the east of Chesterfield, about 30 miles (I'm not sure where the hub will actually be) and reverse trips, which seems perverse. It's true that some areas may benefit but more peripheral places will probably be worse off. Computer say tough:)
 Blimey, a company with some common sense? - PhilW
"EMAS is already amongst the worst performers in response time"

Coincidentally, Mrs W had to call an ambulance yesterday evening and have just seen this post as I switched on computer to see if there was a link to EMAS so that I could compliment them on their service!
Mrs W was in intense pain (I was about 30 motorway miles away). Paramedic in his Skoda (as Dave mentioned above) was there in minutes followed v. quickly by two "auxilliaries" (St Johns I think) in their own car. When I got back the ambulance arrived and all were very professional, efficient and sympathetic in assisting Mrs W. I followed Ambulance to Royal, Leics but not for half an hour because, as ambulance driver told me, they were having to wait in ambulance for half an hour outside hospital before they could get into A&E! When I got there, I saw what he meant - numerous trolleys with patients on, all 20 bays were full and other trolleys in "waiting area" and in corridors almost all with very elderly on - must have been 60? 70? waiting and receiving treatment. First drunk didn't arrive until 11pm.
But, impression I got was that resources were stretched to the absolute limit, probably even more! I left at 11.30 but another couple I knew were still there and had been since 4.30pm.
Goodness knows what it was like at 2am after the New Year Celebrations.
Anyway, just off to visit - phone call to Leics General where she was transferred to, suggests she is recovering and will be OK.
Happy New Year! (I missed it!) and hope that those who live more remotely can get such prompt service from EMAS
P
 Blimey, a company with some common sense? - -
where she was transferred to, suggests she is recovering and will be OK.
>>

Thats very good news Phil, likewise Happy New Year to you and the good LadyW.

your description of A&E doesn't sound promising for the the future for a variety of reasons, simply throwing money at the problem won't sort it either.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 1 Jan 13 at 14:10
 Blimey, a company with some common sense? - swiss tony
>> A company with a brilliant attitude. The cracks are starting to appear in the Ambulance
>> services, fewer vehicles, staff, and further to drive to get to A&E due to closures.

>> Found it -

>> tinyurl.com/9hat88k

from that link... Another emergency unit has been added to our list of axed facilities. The ward at Wycombe Hospital in Buckinghamshire is to close its doors for the last time tomorrow – forcing patients to travel 30 minutes to Stoke Mandeville.

30 mins? never.... 35 on a 750 motorcycle, pushing 80mph where possible, at night, with no traffic, thats the truth.
Latest Forum Posts