Motoring Discussion > New car drive - do you have a route?? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 12

New car drive - do you have a route?? - BobbyG
It has been traditional in my house that every time we get a new car, we go a run over the same route.

From deepest Lanarkshire it's over the Campsie Hills, up through Balfron and up past Balmaha, along the side of Loch Lomond to Rowardennan and then back home through Glasgow and the M8. Gives pretty much every type of road and gives a good day out with plenty of suitable pub lunch venues.

However, looking back, I now realise that I always change cars in Spring or Summer, never the depth of winter.However might still do the drive tomorrow but instead of the shades on and windows down, it may well be fleeces on and heating turned up max!

Do you have a preferred route?.
 New car drive - do you have a route?? - rtj70
When deciding on the last two cars my test driving was over 48 hours (I actually had the Passat CC for 72 hours) so I got to do quite a bit of varied driving. Both times the route included some motorways, Snake Pass, Woodhead Pass and of course local roads (including some cobbled streets near home). The Snake Pass and Woodhead were used to help me decide on Xenons HID's on the Mazda6 (much better than what I'd had before and I wanted total darkness on windy roads).... and the Passat even better with adaptive lighting and static cornering lights.

... Next car might need LED lights to improve :-) I see the next Merecedes S-Class has clever headlights that use sensors to detect pedestrians and use individual LEDs to highlight them for the driver!
 New car drive - do you have a route?? - tyro
"Do you have a preferred route?."

Yes, I drive home.

The long road from Inverness gives the new car a chance to sample most kinds of roads that exist in the UK.
Last edited by: tyro on Tue 1 Jan 13 at 17:06
 New car drive - do you have a route?? - Runfer D'Hills
From where you are Bobby, how about down to Lanark, across to West Linton and over to Peebles. Some great driving roads on that stretch. Nip into the Hydro for a posh scone or a swim if you're into that. Or just a few hundred yards further on is the car park for Glentress where a bracing walk up the hill and through the forest might suit. Then up the A703 to Edinburgh picking up the by-pass at Hillend, bit of retail therapy available for Mrs G at the Gyle and home along the M8.

Oh and I nearly forgot, you could of course divert on the last leg into the discount mall at Livingston. Must be time for the new shoe purchase isn't it? Its in "Olympic" years you do that I seem to remember? Or is it leap years?

:-)
 New car drive - do you have a route?? - Zero
Whats wrong with the Old Largs Road up from Greenock, past Loch Thom, and down into Largs for a fish supper?
Too many Weegies that's what.
 New car drive - do you have a route?? - legacylad
What are 'weegies' please...
Only been to Largs twice, once to pick up the Flamingo charters yacht last Oct, once to return it 4 days later. There are worse places to live.
Kandahar springs to mind.
 New car drive - do you have a route?? - Manatee
>>What are 'weegies' please...

from Glaswegian I think.

The only thing I can remember about Largs is taking my children to an Italian ice cream parlour, I wonder if it's still there?
Last edited by: Manatee on Tue 1 Jan 13 at 21:03
 New car drive - do you have a route?? - legacylad
Of course..weegies....silly me.
Too much pop at £1.50 a pint. Needs must.
"If you see a Weegie on a bicycle, why should you never swerve and hit him?

It could be your bike."

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Weegie
Manatee, yes the ice cream parlour you refer to is Nardinis and it is still there. Same family as Daniella Sardinia the actress.

Largs is often thought of as a place where retired people go to live but during the summer months get a lot of visitors that come down from Glasgow for the day or to get the ferry over to the Isle of Cumbrae.

And can also get excellent fish and chips but watch out for the seagulls!,
 New car drive - do you have a route?? - WillDeBeest
Same family as Daniella Sardinia the actress.

My autocorrect wanted her to be Daniela Jardiniere, Bobby. (I tried to do a joke there about cold feet, but then I looked it up and found it wasn't her; This Life was where she made her name, and I don't think ever saw more than trailers for that.)
}:---)

I don't have a complete test route but there are certain roads I like to use. One is the steepish, twisty hill from the Bisham roundabout on the A404 up to Pinkneys Green and the north end of Maidenhead. Last time round it threw an unflattering light on the V70's vague steering and tendency to be in too high a gear. The German LEC tackled it much better, which is why it's on the drive today.
Humph, few years ago when I was with Safeway I covered the borders area which included Peebles, Hawick, Selkirk, Kelso and out to the likes of North Berwick and Penicuik.

Used to spend many a pleasant Saturday driving between the shops on the country roads. I know this would meet with your approval as I was driving a Mondeo Ghia estate at the time!,

Oh and paid my annual visit to Clark's yesterday. ... but nothing suitable in my size so must try online!
Latest Forum Posts