Motoring Discussion > Cheap/free satnav using an old phone Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tigger Replies: 17

Cheap/free satnav using an old phone - Tigger
Just in case it helps anyone ...

The latest version of google maps for android allows maps to be stored offline - on the android phone (I think they go on the memory card by default).

So ... if you have an old android phone around, you can turn it into a free satnav. It does not need a SIM card (and hence any ongoing charges).

I've used an old Acer phone, downloaded a map to cover the area I need (using wifi), and its all working, using google navigation.

As a bonus, you can look up the place you're visiting on your home PC, mark it with a star and that starred location will replicate to the android.

You lose some functionality by not having a SIM, but its still highly usable. And free (I had no other use for the old phone).
 Cheap/free satnav using an old phone - diddy1234
Good tip.

I could imagine the only thing youd miss out on (by not having a sim card) is the live updates to traffic on your route.

At first I didn't even know about this feature until I had used the maps / navigation app on the android (the roads show up in different colours if the traffic is slow or stopped).

A really handy feature to have and one could look at their journey before even leaving the house to see where the traffic is.
It does also update live (if a sim card is inserted).
Last edited by: diddy1234 on Wed 2 Jan 13 at 10:42
 Cheap/free satnav using an old phone - BobbyG
Assume you would then also be able to use one of the fitness tracker apps as well? These use GPS and maps but not sure if they use data or just downloading with WiFi at end of journey would suffice?
 Cheap/free satnav using an old phone - John H
>> The latest version of google maps for android allows maps to be stored offline -
>> on the android phone (I think they go on the memory card by default).
>>

Nokia's "Here" maps app, which is already available on WinPhones and iPhones, is soon to be released for Androids.

www.pocket-lint.com/news/48411/here-maps-nokia-for-android-app-pictures-and-hands-on

".... offline mode. It's possible to download huge chunks of the globe and store this data in full on the host Android device. Better still, as the software is vector-based rather than tile, the file size is considerably smaller. Around 50,000 times smaller, in fact. Now that means the entirety of the USA could be stored in full on a device with only a 2.5GB impact to a microSD card or on-board memory. Or you could put the whole world on there, y'know, just because you could.

.... integration of 3D mapping, built in fluidly to the interface. We pinched, rotated and used two-finger vertical swipes to adjust the camera position. The overlay of 3D buildings helps to give a sense of location or, if you don't like them, then dump them out of view and go to a more "traditional" top-down map in any number of display modes. But it's much cooler to be looking around the "real" world in a format that makes everyone seem more like mini beings from The Sims computer game.

This kind of 3D overlay may sound like an unnecessary gimmick, but in directions mode, such as for satnav, it gives a sense of place and visual markers that will assist in getting to the right destination.

... As per all the other versions of the application, the Android version of Here will come with a variety of goodies including real-time traffic updates, live public transport schedules direct from providers, and aggregated information about surrounding businesses and venues (sourced from the likes of Zagat, Tripadvisor and, in the future, potentially more social bases). All of these update in real time when linked to a data connection, so if there's a traffic accident down the road the directions will automatically update the route. .... "

Cheap/free satnav using an old phone - rtj70
>> Nokia's "Here" maps app, which is already available on WinPhones and iPhones, is soon to be released for Androids.

It's been available on Android for a while. Can't say I'm that impressed. Although it does download a local copy of country maps. On Google Maps for Android, you need to cache areas you want available offline.

John H will no doubt realise already that Google Maps on Android is also vector based so no advantage there for Nokia. The new Google Maps for iPhone is also now vector based too.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Wed 2 Jan 13 at 12:07
 Cheap/free satnav using an old phone - spamcan61
I've been using Mapdroyd as my 'where the hell am I?' application on Android phones for the last couple of years, doesn't do any fancy navigation, but does provide offline (you can select what countries to store to SD card) vector based maps down to footpath level:-

play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.osa.android.mapdroyd&hl=en
 Cheap/free satnav using an old phone - Alanovich
I've got Nokia Drive on my N8, if I use that as a satnav with mobile data switched off, can I incur any charges? Even when abroad?
 Cheap/free satnav using an old phone - Zero
As long as you have the maps for your destination pre-loaded on the phone, the answer is no.

You need to ensure you dont have any localised services enabled ("around me" type features) as they may try to load using standard 2g

Last edited by: Zero on Wed 10 Jul 13 at 10:31
Great, thanks. If I have "Mobile Data" switched off on the phone overall, will that stop this 2g loading you speak of?

I have loaded the maps for France this morning to my phone via my laptop and broadband internet.
>> Great, thanks. If I have "Mobile Data" switched off on the phone overall, will that
>> stop this 2g loading you speak of?

Sould do but it might not, which is why its advisable to turn off any features that update on the fly, the "around me" types. Locations of cafes and stuff for example.

Ah right, I have no idea where to look to see if that sort of stuff is switched on. It's a Symbian phone, in case you have any idea?
Last edited by: Alanović on Wed 10 Jul 13 at 12:20
Just turn off roaming when you are using sat nav.
Good call. Cheers.
 Cheap/free satnav using an old phone - Tigger
As a follow up, I found that when I wandered off the route, I needed a data connection for the recalculation. (Android/google maps)
I tested my Nokia N8 satnav application this morning with mobile data switched off, it recalculated when I started making turns it disagreed with, and it did it very quickly.

With the satnav, 12mp camera, HDMI output and DAB radio application, I really think the N8 is the pinnacle of single, simple portable devices, and it's not too big either. I'm dreading the day when it's knackerd and obsolete, everything released since seems to be a backward step in one way or another.
 Cheap/free satnav using an old phone - rtj70
Nokia's maps are all held on the phone and you won't need to use any online services. Unlike Google Maps which needs a data connection to calculate routes.
I see.

I think I've now got my N8 rigged to work as a free satnav in the UK and France. Huzzah.

Having just installed a (rather excellent) bespoke Brodit cradle for the device in the car, I'm ready to go. Just waiting for the Sanef toll tag to come now.

I am finally joining the 21st Century, it seems.
 Cheap/free satnav using an old phone - movilogo
OP implies that to turn a phone into a sat nav, it has to run Android.

Such phones are not old yet (and not cheap either)!

When one says old phones, I mean Nokia dumb phones :-)

Latest Forum Posts