Motoring Discussion > Bluetooth hands free devices Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: Fenlander Replies: 26

Bluetooth hands free devices - Fenlander
Missing the C5's seamless music/satnav/phone bluetooth system.

Satnav kindly and unexpectly dealt with by Mrs F wrapping up a Garmin for Christmas but not one with bluetooth for the phone so I'm looking at a stand alone device. Anyone use one? Don't want the sort that you wear in the ear and ideally would like caller display.
 Bluetooth hands free devices - No FM2R
Cannot recommend this lot and their products highly enough. I have now and have had in the past many of them.

www.parrot.com/uk
 Bluetooth hands free devices - WillDeBeest
You could try just concentrating on driving.
};---)
[Smiley, but not entirely because that's what I'd prefer all drivers to do.]

Incidentally, according to the Mercedes forums, a Parrot device in a traded-in MB will be removed before the dealer puts the car on sale. Lowers the tone, apparently. Either that or the dealers get more for them on eBay.
 Bluetooth hands free devices - legacylad
More than happy with my Parrot Mki 9200.
Although when the roof is down its not so good!!
Last edited by: legacylad on Thu 3 Jan 13 at 19:00
 Bluetooth hands free devices - mikeyb
>> Incidentally, according to the Mercedes forums, a Parrot device in a traded-in MB will be
>> removed before the dealer puts the car on sale. Lowers the tone, apparently. Either that
>> or the dealers get more for them on eBay.
>>

plus they can flog you a handsfree kit when you point out you need one!
 Bluetooth hands free devices - Zero
>> Cannot recommend this lot and their products highly enough. I have now and have had
>> in the past many of them.
>>
>> www.parrot.com/uk

Yup, go for the bird, get one of those that wires into the stereo.
 Bluetooth hands free devices - mikeyb
>> >> www.parrot.com/uk
>>
>> Yup, go for the bird, get one of those that wires into the stereo.
>>

Mrs B has one in the Sharan. IIRC it was only 99 quid fitted and works quite well
 Bluetooth hands free devices - Manatee
As an aside, I have a Garmin with bluetooth that I've tried out - it's barely usable and more trouble than it's worth as a hands free, so don't feel there's been an opportunity missed !
 Bluetooth hands free devices - Fursty Ferret
www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_902133_langId_-1_categoryId_165474
 Bluetooth hands free devices - -
Haven't found in built kits to be much use in lorries, too much background noise affecting both ends of the conversation.

I stick to single or twin bluetooth headphones with external microphone, sort of thing you'd see a pro telephonist or McDonalds drive thru geezer using.

Got a new single headphone jobbie on the way from Amazon, supposed to support two devices, so should be able to use the one for mine and company phone...in theory.;).
 Bluetooth hands free devices - Bromptonaut
If you're on the road all day then the parrot may be way to go.

If it's just for the commute, shopping etc then a sub £20 Jabra in ear job should be fine.
 Bluetooth hands free devices - Bill Payer
>> As an aside, I have a Garmin with bluetooth that I've tried out - it's
>> barely usable and more trouble than it's worth as a hands free, so don't feel
>> there's been an opportunity missed !
>>
TomTom is the same.
Thanks all... I'll look into the various Parrot models.

In a way I'm pleased to hear the Garmin & TomTom bluetooth satnavs weren't much good as I had an initial feeling that I should have asked Mrs F for the receipt and taken the Garmin to Halfords for an upgrade to a bluetooth model.

>>>You could try just concentrating on driving.

Fair point to raise WDB. I rarely ever make a call while driving but I do wish to have the ability to receive one. In either case I swap essential info in 10-30sec and don't chatter on. For the past 3yrs I've had the superb system in the C5 where it's one button to answer a call, the stereo is muted and call clarity was superb. Even dialing out to a menu number was no different to selecting a different radio station.

Any new device I get now needs to have this easy functionality or I'll just not bother and ignore calls until the next stop.

Regarding the other options I don't like the in-ear devices and would rather keep the standard stereo which is part of a Bose system with steering wheel controls.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 6 Jan 13 at 12:01
Have a look on ebay for one of the older parrot units, they were much more focussed and concentrated just on phone (non of this streaming music or podcast rubbish) and wired into the speaker wires of the existing car stereo (which should be outside the can bus). Easily moveable from car to car too, plenty of technical info on the web about them and how to wire them too.

Last edited by: Zero on Sun 6 Jan 13 at 13:25
Thanks for that... I'll have a look over on Ebay. Like the sound of an effective but simple unit.

Don't need any streaming type stuff as I'm a CD man. Funnily enough been burning a few copies for the car this weekend as the Alfa is so short of interior oddments space there is nowhere to store original CDs in their cases.... disposable CDR copies it is.

Been round the back of the CD unit already to do an instrument bulb and the wiring/speaker wiring is conventional DIN (??) plug block things.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 6 Jan 13 at 15:39

>> Been round the back of the CD unit already to do an instrument bulb and
>> the wiring/speaker wiring is conventional DIN (??) plug block things.

Square? probably ISO 10487
 Bluetooth hands free devices - No FM2R
I'd recommend the...

>>PARROT MKi9200

its the updated version of the one I;m using now. If you've half a brain and familiarity with cars then wiring it yourself is simplicity itself.

It is worth getting the appropriate connection for your car stereo since then there is little or nothing difficult to do. The rest is simply removing and refitting trim.

I know it seems expensive, but bear in mind it is easy to move from vehicle to vehicle, its actually quite a reasonable investment IMO.

The older model from eBay is quite a good idea, even though Zero suggested it.
 Bluetooth hands free devices - carmalade
I use the Parrot CK 3100.Fitted these in many cars without any problems,and fully updateable for any newer phones.Just a basic device that works without a complicated menu.hth
 Bluetooth hands free devices - BobbyG
Only negative thing about the CK3100 is that it has a control box that you need to hide somewhere.

I fitted one to the works transit and it was a doddle with loads of space behind dash and footwell for it.

On a more modern car it might be more of a pain to try hiding it in with the airbags and huge integrated stereos.

But agreed, easy to update (via a laptop and bluetooth)
>>>it has a control box that you need to hide somewhere.

I need to check this out... there doesn't seem to be any spare space anywhere in the Alfa.
That's a pain. Checked over on the Alfa forums and it seems the Bose system needs an extra lead/device (another £60) to stop over-amplification of received calls and popping through the speakers as the phone is operated.

There is said to be a way round it by manually wiring in the individual Parrot leads without making the speaker connections and then adding an extra speaker under the dash for the phone. To make this work you have to connect to a mute facility on the existing stereo and apparently that doesn't always work.

Adding an extra £60 lead to the used Parrot full kit prices makes it too much cost/hassle for a temp car.

Doing the DIY workaround seems to have potential issues and the Parrot electronic unit would be hard enough to place but add an extra speaker and it gets worse so don't want to do that.

I'm inclined to try one of the Parrot minikits or similar as at least there is no installation and they would sell on if not what I wanted in terms of functionality.
 Bluetooth hands free devices - Boxsterboy
Another vote for Parrot. Simple to fit, very effectve in use - never 'forgets' the bluetooth link to my iPhone.
 Bluetooth hands free devices - rtj70
Additional component(s) were needed on my Mazda6 to wire in a car kit to the stereo. That too had Bose.

But if as you say the phone kit for the car is merely for calls, do you need it to go through the stereo? My old Nokia car kit (and the Bury THB one that replaced that) initially were used with an external speaker. All you'd then need to decide is whether to have the stereo auto-muted for incoming calls.

There's still a box to be hidden for most (all?) car kits.
Just a bit of feedback. Went off the idea of fitting a kit due to the possible shortish term nature of this car, extra expense of adaptors for the Bose system and lack of any space behind the facia to fit the bits.

So tried one of the Parrot Minikit Slim devices that are self-containd and clip to the visor. Didn't get on with it due to fiddly operation and buggy performance so sold on immediately.

Going to keep options open until we know which way we are going on car choices.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Thu 7 Feb 13 at 10:14
 Bluetooth hands free devices - BobbyG
I have a bit of a luddite confession to make here......

but in the last couple of weeks, I have went back to the £3 wired headphones with mic that you get free with the phone.

Its benefits:
a. Sound quality is clearer than any bluetooth I have used inc parrot
b. I am not tempted to make phone calls like I do with the parrot in the van - its not that easy so I only use it for receiving calls
c. You get that pleasant "retro" feeling that you get when you play a record, or wind up a window!
d. Callers seem to think the call is clearer as well

Of course, if anyone will ask, I will deny that I have taken this step back in time.........,.
 Bluetooth hands free devices - Manatee
Except in my car with the built in Bluetooth that seems to work OK, I always use the earphones - never hold the phone to my ear. The eye phone is not the best for actual phone calls IMO and using the earphones improves the call, leaves my hands free, and I hope gives less radiation to the little grey cells.

Of course with an eye phone it's a £23 accessory not a £3 one, though I got a pukka one on Amazon for about £9 so I have a spare.
 Bluetooth hands free devices - Runfer D'Hills
My car has voice command Bluetooth. It's usually very good but has some annoying habits. This is an example of how it often goes....

Me - "Call name"
Car - "Please say the name"
Me- "Home"
Car - "Call Derek accepted, dialling number"
Me - "No you wretched thing! I don't want to call sodding Derek! I want to call home! How does "home" even begin to sound like "Derek" you stupid useless heap of carp? I don't even like Derek...Oh hi Derek... erm, how are you?"
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Thu 7 Feb 13 at 12:57
Latest Forum Posts