Motoring Discussion > Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Auntie Lockbrakes Replies: 16

Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! - Auntie Lockbrakes
Has the revised 2013 Outlander made it to UK shores yet? Quite an extensive overhaul, longer, wider, lower. Looks great IMHO, in a sort of Range Rover meets Forester kind of way.

www.mmnz.co.nz/outlander/

Am curious to see how it stacks up against the Mazda CX-5; both will be shortlisted to replace SWMBO's X3 after she's nursed it along to 10-years ownership!
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! - Fullchat
Looks good.Watched the advert video, lighter panels and wheels. I read into this - easier to dent.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! - Manatee
I've the existing model. They make some play of the aluminium roof, but it still weighs 1700kg, so a bit of lightening won't come amiss.

Seems they've dumped the shark's gob grille, at least in that market but I suspect everywhere.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! - Zero
Looks like a Citroen van thats been pigging out on Mcdonalds
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! - Boxsterboy
Can't see it doing much over here without a good turbo-diesel + auto box. Mitsubishi have zero streed cred since the demise of the Evos. It might help if we had your 10-year warranty.
Last edited by: Boxsterboy on Mon 7 Jan 13 at 21:35
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! - -
Hmm, wonder if they've got the 2.4 Mivec under the top VED band yet, still doubt we'll get a petrol version here which would be nice if they offered LPG option as with Outlander one.

No proper auto box won't help sales in this segment.

Have to say from my previous job i found some not all of the dealers to be among the most miserable cusses of all makes i've ever visited, found lot of miserable blighters in large chains and high volume palaces but smaller volume makes were usually a cheerful bunch?
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 7 Jan 13 at 21:41
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! - Zero

>> Have to say from my previous job i found some not all of the dealers
>> to be among the most miserable cusses of all makes i've ever visited, found lot
>> of miserable blighters in large chains

I'll run with that, thats been my experience as well.
>> Mitsubishi have zero streed cred

You mean Zero street cred of course.

The 2,2 Mitsubishi 4N14 diesel is OK. The auto option is a 6 speed IIRC twin clutch job, which I swerved around as I don't fancy towing with one. The autos currently have the PSA 2.2 DW12 engine. I infer from the press releases that the 4N14 engine will be in the autos, with a "new" auto box.

Mitsubishi are fairly low volume in the UK - they are relatively expensive IMO.
The top-seller over here in this category is the Hyundai Santa Fe. Mitsi haven't offered a diesel until now, which was an obvious omission.

The smaller Mitsubishi ASX seems to be a good seller over here, and the Lancer saloon is a perennial, partly helped by pricing it to match Kia and undercut the Hyundai equivalent. All-in-all a pretty solid range of products in these parts.
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! - movilogo
>> Looks like a Citroen van thats been pigging out on Mcdonalds

Isn't the Citroen C-crosser same car anyway?
Last edited by: movilogo on Tue 8 Jan 13 at 11:00
>>Isn't the Citroen C-crosser same car anyway?

It is at the moment. Don't know whether the C-Crosser and the Peugeot whatever-number-it-is will continue in the new version, with or without the Mitsubishi engines.
Well, 2 years on and I'm doing a deal tomorrow to buy one of these. 2.2 turbo diesel with 6-speed torque converter auto, and of course the Mitsi 5-year warranty.

Adaptive cruise control and in-built sat nav are 2 items as standard, but doubt they'll get much use on the roads over here :-)
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! - Duncan
>> Adaptive cruise control and in-built sat nav are 2 items as standard, but doubt they'll
>> get much use on the roads over here :-)
>>

Remind us. Where is 'over here'?
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! - WillDeBeest
Name changes don't help. Auntie used to be Nick in NZ. I hope the op scars are fading now.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Thu 15 Jan 15 at 08:35
 Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! - movilogo
I wonder how manufactures decide which models to offer on particular countries.

Their argument is that that they don't introduce some models because as per their calculation these wouldn't sell.

But if they don't introduce the models, then it won't sell - which becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

Although I read in auto magazines sometimes manufacturers do trial cars to taste the market. For example, at present Kia is trialling some VR7 spec cars (on many models) which as per official Kia statement, can be withdrawn at any time.

Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! - idle_chatterer
>> I wonder how manufactures decide which models to offer on particular countries.
>>

I guess they just know the market ?

In Australia (very similar market to NZ but with motorways and much bigger distances to travel) we get very few MPVs (some ancient Hyundai and the Toyota Tarago which is a stretched Previa which you guys don't get at all). No Ford Galaxy, S-Max, B-Max, VW Touran. Mazda 5 etc. I guess despite families being larger they don't sell ?

Whereas we get loads of SUVs, many with petrol engines not available in the UK of 2.4 or 2.5L. In fact most superminis have 1.6L engines and Focus, Mazda 3 etc base models are 2.0L petrols. Diesel derivatives are becoming more common but by no way in the proportions that they are in the UK, the company car market and taxation doesn't skew new car sales in anything like the same way. Then of course petrol is much cheaper, I just filled up with 95RON at 60p/L, diesel is more like 70p/L currently.

Small capacity petrol turbos like the VW TSi and Ford Ecoboost are appearing in their vehicle models with European origins and whilst they do sell they are viewed with some suspicion. The full size Holdens and Fords come with 6 or 8 cylinder engines of 3.0L or more.

Sedan (saloon) derivatives of cars sold only in hatchback form in the UK are popular such as the Focus, Fiesta, Jetta, Civic, Corolla and Mazda 3. Then of course there are the car derived Ford and Holden utes.

So yes, different markets do prefer different cars for all sorts of reasons.

Mitsubishi Outlander II - 2013 Outlander 3 - looks good! - Maisie's Dad
Strangely enough, I saw a red S Max on the freeway south of Perth yesterday. Pretty sure it's the first I've seen in nine months.
Latest Forum Posts