Motoring Discussion > Snow Chains / Socks Accessories and Parts
Thread Author: IJWS14 Replies: 47

Snow Chains / Socks - IJWS14
Not related to the ews this morning but a planned journey into the Alps in December . . .

Will be stayin in Verchaix (actually Cossin) so up a steep and winding road.

Am wary of snow socks for this use (and whether the Gendarmes will see them as acceptable) and considering buying a set of chains. Are the £40 chains on Amazon OK or would it be wise spending more, they may only be necessary for this trip and may not be used.

Speaking to the property owner they had a heavy snowfall just before Xmas this year.
 Snow Chains / Socks - R.P.
£20.00 ones in Lidl seem to be solid quality items.
 Snow Chains / Socks - Old Navy
If they are for one journey or may not be used on that car (wheel size) again, have you thought about renting them ?

www.snowchains.com/hire-snow-chains
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 10 Jan 13 at 08:51
 Snow Chains / Socks - PR
I had this very dilemma 2 years ago when driving to Argentiere in the French Alps. A lot will depend on the wheels your car has. Our Bravo has 17" alloys and the handbook said only use chains with (cant remember the diameter, but they werent widely available).

Anyway to cut a long story short, it was the bad winter we had so no one had chains in stock. In the end I went to roofbox.co.uk and hired some posh chains that clamp onto the wheel. We didnt need them however....!

I dont think snow socks are acceptable to the gendarmes. There are things that michelin make which are like a plastic chain that is "easy" to fit which are type approved (EasyGrip) which I also considered, but again were not available.

Of course the other alternative is to get some winter tyres, then chains arent required....!
 Snow Chains / Socks - Mike H
>> Of course the other alternative is to get some winter tyres, then chains arent required....!
>>
Not true. Winter tyres are mandatory here in Austria, but chains are still needed in heavy snow on gradients. Roads where chains are mandatory are marked with a picture of a tyre with chains on on a blue background, and laybys in strategic locations are labelled "Kettenmontageplatz", which means "chain fitting area". I imagine there is a similar system in France.

If I were the OP, I would go for the £20 option, it's probably cheaper than hiring them. You can always sell them on again through local small ads or Ebay next winter!
 Snow Chains / Socks - PR
I was under the impression that winter tyres would suffice but I stand corrected. Certainly in Italy there are roads where between certain dates the sign says "gomme invernali o catene" which means winter tyres OR chains. If you have one or other you are ok.
 Snow Chains / Socks - Mike H
Perhaps I was a bit strong when I said "chains are mandatory" - let's put it like this, you wouldn't get up some roads without them! Thinking about it, the blue signs I mentioned probably mean "recommended". And there are often traffic announcements here in the winter stating that you need to fit chains to get over certain mountain passes. Certainly here in Austria, snow chains are legally ONLY an alternative to winter tyres when the entire road surface is covered by an unbroken layer of snow or ice. I don't want to open up any further debates on winter tyres, but rest assured, venturing into the mountains without chains is asking for trouble, with or without winter tyres.
 Snow Chains / Socks - Boxsterboy
The French road signs in the Jura have a picture of a tyre with chains and then underneath it says "Sauf Pneu Neige" or somesuch, which I take to mean that you can only pass if you have chains, except if you have winter tyres. Could be wrong though. I've personally never had a problem driving up snow-covered alpine roads without chains on the winter tyres, even if I've always had a set in the car just in case. But the legalities are another issue.

I've had good reports of snow socks, and in Auto Express this week they tested some new Thule chains type devices that were a lot easier/quicker to fit (the BIG problem with chains, especially in sub-zero temperatures), but being Thule, they weren't exactly cheap (£200-ish)
 Snow Chains / Socks - BobbyG
Just buy all season tyres!

Since i bought mine 2 years ago, there has not been a single day when the car has been beaten by the weather!!!
Thanks for the information, looking like it might be an expensive (relatively) holiday.

Car is a 2012 Passat SE on standard tyres (235/45 17 on 7" rims) and the manual says I can only fit chains to 6 1/2" rims).

So, either socks and risk it, winter tyres (negotiate with lease company) or a set of steel wheels and winter tyres (negotiate with leae company). . . . . .

Going over there in May so will talk to the locals and check where the blue signs are before making the decsion. The road up to Verchaix is steep but don't recall passing a chains sign in the past.

I have never been beaten by the weather on standard tyres, jus the hills over there are a bit steeper and higher, the snow deeper, and they have these strange blue signs.
Last edited by: IJWS14 on Fri 11 Jan 13 at 07:51
 Snow Chains / Socks - a900ss
To bring this thread to life again, I've got a 5 series and live in Gloucestershire where we have had more snow than I can remember for some time. I live at the bottom of a steepish cul-de-sac and yesterday nobody got their car out including a 4x4 Nissan X Trail.

I put snow socks on my car this morning (first time I've ever used socks) and drove up the hill like it was dry.

Amazing products for emergency use and only cost me about £25 new last summer.
 Snow Chains / Socks - Boxsterboy
I bet the 4x4 owner was a bit miffed to be outdriven by a BMW!
 Snow Chains / Socks - Clk Sec
I bet he'll have winter tyres on by next week.
 Snow Chains / Socks - Zero
you could darn his socks for him and keep driving a bit longer?
 Snow Chains / Socks - a900ss
>> I bet the 4x4 owner was a bit miffed to be outdriven by a BMW!
>>

I did feel a bit smug but I'm a bit careful of the 'he who laughs last' principle.
 Snow Chains / Socks - Robin O'Reliant
I'm tempted by a pair of snow socks as I have some steep hills to negotiate on many of the minor and unclassified roads my job takes me to. Bit of a faff to put on and remove if the snow is intermittent but better than being stranded for the night with a nearly empty flask of cooling tea and only one cigarette left in the pack.
 Snow Chains / Socks - Shiny
Has anyone tries this spray on grip, what on earth is it?
If so, what was it like?
I remember in the 1980s some Mercs in colder climates had built-in dispensers for this in the rear wheelarch.
www.amazon.co.uk/Spray-Tyre-Chain-Liquid-Chains/dp/B004GXJE18/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1358627405&sr=8-5
 Snow Chains / Socks - lancara
Spain quite often requires use of chains - earlier this week in the North-West:

www.galiciae.com/nova/223147-nieve-dificulta-circulacion-montana-lugo

"...this road is closed to heavy traffic and light vehicles must wear chains..."
 Snow Chains / Socks - Dave_
This 'ere FWD slushbox Mazda6 doesn't like any sort of hill in this weather. It's failed to ascend several different inclines in the last few days :(
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sun 20 Jan 13 at 11:42
 Snow Chains / Socks - Runfer D'Hills
Dave, have your front tyres got plenty of tread? Even if they are summer tyres that makes a heck of a difference in snow.

Try also "crabbing" up hills. That's to say, go on full lock one way and rapidly spin the wheel to the opposite lock and back again etc. If you can, lock the box in 2nd. Sometimes helps.
 Snow Chains / Socks - Dave_
Tread, about 6mm on the front, 3mm on the rear now after I swapped the wheels front to rear last week. Tried seesawing the steering, taking a run-up, starting in 2nd, even reversing up but no joy. The torque converter won't lock up on this one, i.e. when accelerating from a trailing/steady throttle the revs immediately rise by 1,000rpm+ before the car starts to gain any speed. Probably explains the rubbish mpg.

I've managed to find an alternative route every time so far, the only jam I've been stuck in was a 2-hour one on Friday night when all the roads into Coalville were blocked by lorries struggling to climb the hills. I live-tweeted it for something to do... Funnily enough, I've been halfway around the country in the snow in my 7.5t and haven't lost traction/grip at all, except on quiet roundabouts on purpose :)
Last edited by: Dave_TDCi on Sun 20 Jan 13 at 12:20
 Snow Chains / Socks - Bigtee
Maybe the 4x4 owner thought balls to it and sat infront of the fire with a hot mug of tea. :-)
 Snow Chains / Socks - Shiny
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJKU-zO4hk
Look at these poor man's chains, made with nylon rope repeatedly threaded through the wheel and tied. I'm impressed.
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Sun 20 Jan 13 at 15:30
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpJKU-zO4hk
>> Look at these poor man's chains, made with nylon rope repeatedly threaded through the wheel
>> and tied. I'm impressed.

Thats grand, till the rope stretches or breaks and wraps itself round your brake calliper.
 Snow Chains / Socks - bathtub tom
I used to do that forty years ago. I don't know if you'd be able to nowadays with the proximity of callipers to the wheel.
Bungees wrapped through wheels and around tyres work quite well if you're really struggling. Not for long of course but they do help in an emergency if you find yourself in a deep patch of snow.
>> Bungees wrapped through wheels and around tyres work quite well if you're really struggling. Not
>> for long of course but they do help in an emergency if you find yourself
>> in a deep patch of snow.

Have a look through your wheels at the proximity of the brake callipers to the inner wheels and tell me if you think a bungee will happily survive there when the wheel is revolving.
Don't have to really. I've done it loads of times. Not saying it's recommended or compulsory. Better than being stuck is all. Only used that technique if properly stuck in deep snow and then only for a matter of yards.
>> Don't have to really. I've done it loads of times. Not saying it's recommended or
>> compulsory. Better than being stuck is all. Only used that technique if properly stuck in
>> deep snow and then only for a matter of yards.
>>

A bag of cat litter and shovel in the boot would work well too.
What's the trick? Attract the cat with the litter, stun it with the shovel and strap it to the wheel?

:-)

( How long 'till a gong? )
 Snow Chains / Socks - corax
>> What's the trick? Attract the cat with the litter, stun it with the shovel and
>> strap it to the wheel?

Oh dear. Pat won't like that at all.

I enjoyed it though :)
>> Don't have to really. I've done it loads of times. Not saying it's recommended or
>> compulsory. Better than being stuck is all. Only used that technique if properly stuck in
>> deep snow and then only for a matter of yards.

Well i am prepared to bet you a virtual beer its not possible for the wheel to turn once without ripping them off on your GLEC, such is the closeness of calliper to wheel.
Whatever you say. I'm happy, as always, for you to be right.

>> Whatever you say. I'm happy, as always, for you to be right.
>>
>> :-)

Typical jock, too tight to buy a beer.
On the contrary, we are simply acutely and long term experienced in coping with the typical English propensity to have a rather higher opinion of themselves than is strictly necessary...we have found that indulging them is the line of least resistance.

In precis. "Used to losing"
As you say ( refer to post at 16.56...)

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 20 Jan 13 at 17:39
Have a coil of nylon rope in the boot and would try this if stuck, never got myself stuck yet - can't be trying hard enough!
 Snow Chains / Socks - Fullchat
Now this is the ultimate guide to fitting snow chain - gents :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OeZYqwlgUUE
That was a tad difficult to follow, I had to replay it a few times before I was sure I knew how it was done.
Blimey Fullchat, that clip should have had a "Careful, SWMBO might walk in while you're watching that" warning attached.

I had to prove I wasn't on a naughty site, and BTW she thinks you're a pervert.
 Snow Chains / Socks - Fullchat
Prey tell what is perverted about seeing how snow chains are fitted correctly?? You see what you want to see.

Astute lady though :)
Are there any rules about having to have Winter (or M&S) tyres on all four wheels or could I fit two (on the front) for the trip?
 Snow Chains / Socks - R.P.
Never fit them to two wheels or the car will have "interesting" stopping and handling dynamics...!
Last edited by: R.P. on Wed 23 Jan 13 at 09:04
 Snow Chains / Socks - BiggerBadderDave
Could you just fit them on the left side and drive around in circles?
 Snow Chains / Socks - hillman1
Have been meaning to post since the weekend.

I bought some Weissenfels snow socks last year and finally put them to use at the weekend and can't even begin to descibe how good they were.

Yes, they are a bit of a faff to put on and take off, but in emergencies they would be excellent. I live in a fairly rural area with many hills which in the past has meant I would have no chance in the snow, but last weekend was able to go up pretty steep hills with fresh snow as if the roads were dry, stopping and starting the car on the way up and safely braking on the downhill sections.

I think I paid about £70 last year and glad I did...
>>
>> I bought some Weissenfels snow socks last year and finally put them to use at
>> the weekend and can't even begin to descibe how good they were.
>>
>> I think I paid about £70 last year and glad I did...
>>

You've convinced me with that post, hillman. Looking on ebay they vary between £40 and £70, though in the summer you could get them for around £25. Hopefully that's the last of the snow down here, but I think I'll have some for next winter.
 Snow Chains / Socks - hillman1
What I would say though is I'm sure sure how good they'll be in compacted snow- I would guess less effective. And be prepared for painful knuckles.... :)
Latest Forum Posts