Motoring Discussion > KIA Cee'd - Car change Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 17

KIA Cee'd - Car change - Stuu
A decree from the wife, the best kind. Due to a change in family circumstances we need a bigger car and I was told in no uncertain terms that my wife wasnt selling her 'baby' which means my car is up for the chop.
We arent actually going to purchase for another 4 months or so as I have a buyer for the Charade who needs a bit of time to save up ( remember that dodgy Fiat Seicento I mentioned - that lady! ) but I know she wants the car as compared to the old heaps she drives, it is a gem.

Anyhow, we are looking at either Kia Ceed or Hyundai i30 diesel, hatch or estate, havent decided if the estate is worth seeking out. Used market seems to have a fair chunk of motors on offer in the £7-10k bracket.

Any opinions on these motors? They seem to get almost universally good press so are they really THAT good?
 KIA Cee'd - Car change - Old Navy
My Ceed diesel estate is three years old, has been faultless, is pleasant to drive, and has huge carrying capacity. The bottom line is that it is a Eurobox just like the Focus, Astra, Golf, etc. Just pick the one you prefer. If you do buy a Ceed make sure the servicing has been carried out to KIAs requirements to maintain the seven year warranty.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Thu 10 Jan 13 at 21:45
 KIA Cee'd - Car change - lancara
Sold my pro_ceed - 2.0l petrol auto last year after 3.5 years - no problems during ownership. Main drawback with Hyundai/Kia is the non-flexibility with options - it's a case of "if you want this, you've got to have that" - and "that" is large alloys with minimal rubber - so ride can be very firm
 KIA Cee'd - Car change - Kevin
>A decree from the wife, the best kind. Due to a change in family circumstances we need a bigger car

Congratulations!
 KIA Cee'd - Car change - Runfer D'Hills
You should have look at a Mondeo Stu. They're ever so good...

:-))))
Not even slightly tempted :-)
 KIA Cee'd - Car change - Pat
You should be Stu, Mondeo's are for proper drivers;)

Pat
 KIA Cee'd - Car change - Old Navy
>> You should be Stu, Mondeo's are for proper drivers;)
>>
>> Pat
>>

I thought yours is a caravan tug that is too big to reverse park. :-)
I can reverse park it perfectly with the caravan on!

Pat
...without stalling it what's more presumably Pat?

:-)
...or losing grip;)

Pat
I'd hazard a guess at who has lost his grip...

:-)
...and sense of humour?

Pat
>>You should be Stu, Mondeo's are for proper drivers;) <<

With deep pockets. I would rather have a Kia with 4 years manufacturers warranty than a Ford with none, those Mondeos seem to have some niggly build issues that I have no interest in exploring, nice though they are to look at. Also stupidly big.
Ive driven the Mondeo, didnt float my boat in the slightest and I remain puzzled as to what the fuss is about but then motoring journos are about as connected with real life as MPs.
 KIA Cee'd - Car change - Boxsterboy
>> Any opinions on these motors? They seem to get almost universally good press so are
>> they really THAT good?
>>

I would have thought that almost any car would be THAT good after a Daihatsu Charade! ;-)
>>I would have thought that almost any car would be THAT good after a Daihatsu Charade! <<

Ah but you see in the things that matter to me a Charade IS a good car. Reliability, economy and space. I dont care much for handling or gizmos, im not OCD about spec nor do I care for style.

If I could stretch to one id have a Dacia Duster diesel, but they stupidly only put air con on the top of the range and I aint spending £13k on a Renault, £11k at a push for a brand spanker which gets the mid range 2wd diesel but still no air con - the wife said French penny pinchers can keep it.
 KIA Cee'd - Car change - brettmick
A year and a half ago we found ourselves in a similar situation. I had a 2 year old Audi A3 cabriolet and baby number two on the horizon, I couldn't justify the Audi as a second car as we would be getting tight money wise by the end of the Mrs maternity leave so the car (used 95% of the time to drive 38 miles to work and back) went.

In its place came a Kia Ceed 2.0 (140) Diesel 5 door in "sport" trim, this model being the last of the pre-facelift with a 6 speed gearbox. I bought it with 13k miles up and it now has 26k in 15 months and has been far better than I expected. I really wanted to dislike the car considering what it replaced but it is comfortable, reasonably quick, giving 45-48 MPG, well equipped and dynamically rather good. I think my expectation are fairly high too, in the last 6 years I have owned (newly new) a Saab 9-3, A3 Sportback, Toyota Rav4, Subaru Legacy plus the A3 cab and the Ceed doesn't feel a pauper.

When bought it was 2 years old when the same money bought 3 year old Astra/Focus/Auris all of whose 3 year warranties were up - as a 2nd car the 5 years remaining warranty was key to no-surprise motoring but I would not have bought the car just for the warranty.

It looks now as if the Mrs will give up work completely next month and we will no longer require a 2nd car - the RAV4 is a better choice for 4 people, a dog and all the assorted junk - so we are likely to sell it. I actually felt some remorse at this thought when I drove the car to work that morning, something lacking completely when the Saab and A3 Sportback went...
 KIA Cee'd - Car change - bathtub tom
>> I had a 2 year old Audi A3 cabriolet and baby number two on the horizon

Your aspirations adjust according to the circumstances!

I gave up a 2 litre Vitesse for a Cortina GT at baby number 1.

Baby number 2 meant an Austin Maxi!
Latest Forum Posts