Motoring Discussion > I've been Humphed Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 53

I've been Humphed - WillDeBeest
On the the way to Reading for a meeting this afternoon, I was passing a parked removal van that was blocking the other side of the road. The driver coming the other way thought there was space for her small, black car between my Volvo and the van. There wasn't, and my mirror went the way of Humph's.

I stopped in the next field gateway, but none of those following me did, and there was no sign of the other car. I retraced my route in case she had stopped further along, but she hadn't. I stopped in a pub car park, recovered the plastic bits from the road (the glass stayed put) but by then they'd evidently been run over several times.

Will report to the police as a matter of form, but presumably nothing to be done but get it fixed at my expense. Damn!
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 11 Jan 13 at 16:56
 I've been Humphed - Cliff Pope
Bad luck, and very annoying.
It's often a dicey moment in such situations whichever way one is approaching the obstruction.
Is the gap wide enough for 2 cars?
Can I trust the other driver to make the correct judgement?
Can I trust the other driver to negotiate the gap even if it is wide enough?
If I stop will an idiot behind me with more nerve overtake and plough on past?

I have come up with a rough rule of thumb:

If in doubt, stop.
If there really is plenty of room, keep well over to the left.
If there isn't enough room, or you doubt the oncoming driver's ability to judge it, then position yourself right in the middle to deter the other driver from attempting it. Perhaps even flash - "Be aware of my presence".
 I've been Humphed - Runfer D'Hills
Oh dear...Das wird teuer sein...

:-)
 I've been Humphed - VxFan
As you were the one who was overtaking and therefore presumably on the wrong side of the road, out of courtesy, yes she should have stopped and let you through, but as you were on her side of the road it'll more than likely come down to you being in the wrong rather than her.
Anyway, name in vain and all that WDB. It wasn't me who got de-mirrored it was "her". She reckoned it wasn't her fault ( twice ) too...

I've been Humphed - PeterS
I think WDB is saying that he was driving along a road that had a van parked on the other side. He was driving past and the other car squeezed past the parked van, clouting his mirror.
Yes I think you're right Peter. What's more I've just re-read it and it was the Volvo which might be ( slightly ) less expensive than the Merc to fix. Not a good start to the weekend in any event.
 I've been Humphed - corax
So how much for a Volvo S60 mirror, or is that the start of another thread.
Sucks teeth...gotta be the thick end of a monkey squire...

Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Fri 11 Jan 13 at 17:12
 I've been Humphed - -
Bad luck, annoying when they clear off but thats normal these days.

Hopefully it'll be be an easy find from a scrapper.
£30 from a scrapyard perhaps? Are most Volvo mirrors the same for a given generation of cars?
 I've been Humphed - ....
Hmmm, can't remember if this is a straight forward replacement from the scrapyard or if it's CanBus'd (Heated/adjustable mirrors, these cars have door modules which control the electrics).
I would try the dealer to get an idea of price in my head before firing off to the online scrapyards. I've found with other cars there's sometimes not a lot of difference between new and used for some cars and their parts.
Last edited by: gmac on Fri 11 Jan 13 at 17:23
 I've been Humphed - R.P.
E-bay has some bits...
Peter and Humph are right about the direction, VF. My side of the road was clear, and I was entirely on my side of the white line throughout; in fact, to judge from where I found the bits, I was already past the van when the other driver hit me. The removal van was blocking the other side, but with two wheels on the pavement; the driver probably imagined he was helping, instead of which he'd merely created the illusion of a passing space. If he'd put all four on the road there'd have been no alternative to stopping.

Had a half-hour chat with a friendly policeman, who offered the small encouragement that occasionally a driver will call in later to admit what happened, but we both knew how likely that is.

Incidentally, how is a mild reference, under provocation, to glutei maximi more offensive than condemnation to supposed eternal torment, with liberal deployment of the red hot poker? I'll never understand Great Aunt Mildred's reasoning!
You do have to wonder WDB. Conversely, if this were an American forum, the "blaspheming" would cause more offence but the bottom reference would be seen as mild. I try not to king worry about it myself.

I've been Humphed - Armel Coussine
Whereas when someone on the BBC accidentally called a minister a lady's front bottom everyone chortled about it for days, with the offending clip played many times.

The US networks had to run the story but with bleeps and much coy circumlocution. Tee hee!
James Naughtie. I had a lucky escape that morning: I was cleaning my teeth at the time and almost swallowed the brush. Electric one, too - might have gone on buzzing for days.
 I've been Humphed - John H
>> Incidentally, how is a mild reference, under provocation, to glutei maximi more offensive than condemnation
>> to supposed eternal torment, with liberal deployment of the red hot poker? I'll never understand
>> Great Aunt Mildred's reasoning!
>>

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2667634/The-Clbuttic-Mistake-When-obscenity-filters-go-wrong.html

The Clbuttic Mistake: When obscenity filters go wrong
President Abraham Lincoln was buttbuttinated by an armed buttailant after a life devoted to the reform of the US consbreastution.

The phenomena, known as “The Clbuttic Mistake” after a mangling of the word “classic” that is believed to be the first identified instance of the problem, can be found on tens of thousands of websites.
Last edited by: John H on Fri 11 Jan 13 at 18:25
 I've been Humphed - Ted

When I read the thread title, I thought I was going to read about the Beest being ripped off in Primark.

Ted
I've been meaning to say that among a lot of M&S tee shirts I have in plain respectable unsignwritten black and navy blue, I have found one bearing a shamefaced grey little Primark label.

I am sorry to say Humph that it is slightly shabbier than the others. Have a word with your owners about quality control would you? I'd write them a letter on Kensington Palace headed paper but it's always quicker to use a solid contact when you've got one.

:o}
 I've been Humphed - VxFan
>> Peter and Humph are right about the direction, VF. My side of the road was
>> clear,

Yeah, sorry about that. Just re-read it myself. Amazing how words can sometimes magically disappear or give different meanings in sentences when reading them.

No CCTV in the area I take it?
Don't worry, VF. As for CCTV, the police said they'd ask the pub, but it seems unlikely that it would have cameras trained that way, especially as the impact was 30m up the road.

Thoughts on the removal van's contribution? I have pictures showing how it was parked.

I know, better to get on with talking to parts desks and insurers.
I guess you'll have to weigh up the cost of any insurance excess, any potential effect on ncb and any feeling for whether you can trace/blame the other vehicle against swallowing the cost of fixing your car.

In my wife's case/s we ( I ) took it in the wallet.

:-(
A quick google found this lot: www.carwingmirrors.co.uk/SearchProducts.aspx

They don't appear to do a complete S60 mirror, so no help to WDB. A complete Qashqai (sp) mirror on the other hand can be had for £100, so might be worth stocking up Humph... ;-)
Bleeeeeeehhhh !

>> Bleeeeeeehhhh !
>>
>> :-(
>>

You'd still need a chap to fit it though, so probably not that much cheaper...

Bleeeeeeeehhhhh !
 I've been Humphed - Harleyman
>> Thoughts on the removal van's contribution?

Assuming it was not parked in a restricted (for loading) area, or too close to a junction, nil.

You seem to infer that because he'd parked partly on the pavement, he was in some way to blame. Since when has leaving MORE space for car drivers to misjudge an overtaking manouevre been a bad thing? ;-)
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sat 12 Jan 13 at 10:09
 I've been Humphed - Fursty Ferret
I wouldn't report it to the police, or the insurance company.

A mirror is a mirror. Though wonder if Rattle reported his and what the next premium will be?
 I've been Humphed - Cliff Pope
>> Since when has leaving MORE space for car drivers to misjudge
>> an overtaking manouevre been a bad thing? ;-)
>>

It's not a bad thing, but it does encourage certain drivers to attempt the impossible, as I said above.

It's a bit like nervous cyclists riding in the gutter - they get cut up. If there isn't enough space to pass, ride in the centre of the lane.
 I've been Humphed - Bromptonaut
>> It's a bit like nervous cyclists riding in the gutter - they get cut up.
>> If there isn't enough space to pass, ride in the centre of the lane.

Exactly the point I was about to make.
 I've been Humphed - corax
>> It's a bit like nervous cyclists riding in the gutter - they get cut up.

Not by me. If I can see they're making an effort to keep left I'll give them a wide berth. If they are riding down the centre of a busy road they've only got themselves to blame if they get hit.

Someone at my allotment goes riding with his pals. He's retired and must be 70+. Before Christmas he was knocked off his bike and broke his hip. Apparently the driver didn't see him. He spent weeks in hospital and luckily is now on the mend. But when I heard about where he had been hit I really had no sympathy. A series of interconnecting roundabouts joining and coming off the A12. My thoughts were 'what the hell was he doing there'? This place is about as busy and dangerous as you can get if you're cycling and I wouldn't attempt it. Especially as modern cars have such horrific blindspots now when negotiating roundabouts.

I've been Humphed - Bromptonaut
>> Not by me. If I can see they're making an effort to keep left I'll
>> give them a wide berth. If they are riding down the centre of a busy
>> road they've only got themselves to blame if they get hit.
>>
>> Someone at my allotment goes riding with his pals. He's retired and must be 70+.
>> Before Christmas he was knocked off his bike and broke his hip. Apparently the driver
>> didn't see him. He spent weeks in hospital and luckily is now on the mend.
>> But when I heard about where he had been hit I really had no sympathy.
>> A series of interconnecting roundabouts joining and coming off the A12. My thoughts were 'what
>> the hell was he doing there'? This place is about as busy and dangerous as
>> you can get if you're cycling and I wouldn't attempt it. Especially as modern cars
>> have such horrific blindspots now when negotiating roundabouts.

Did he have an alternative route?

If I ride into town I have join the A4500, busy dual carriageway link to M1/J16, with a right turn at a roundabout. Don't like it at all but it's easier to ride round keeping visible than to dismount and try to negotiate on foot.
 I've been Humphed - R.P.
Me too - ASDA car-park - fortunately it was the mobile dog kennel. Fix it tomorrow with some gaffer tape or some such.
 I've been Humphed - R.P.
Clicked back into place - el-cheapo fix !
There's lovely !

"Humphed" myself today actually. Came off my mountain bike fairly heavily. Steep, fast muddy/icy descent, front wheel dug in to some gloop, I somersaulted over the bars, landed on my back and the first point of impact was my right kidney area on a raised tree root while the bike did its best to remove my feet ! Christ I hurt.

Too old...

I've been Humphed - No FM2R
>>Too old...

Tell me about it. I fell snow boarding earlier this year.

It never used to hurt that much, and even when it did I was still able to get up and pretend it didn't.

Rather than lying there snivelling in the snow.
What's the deal on cocodamol and whisky mixed? Be alright in moderation won't it? Not sure whether to rub it on or drink it...

I've been Humphed - Zero

When I used to fall off or out of things things I used to bounce a bit. Now bones break.
 I've been Humphed - NortonES2
Icy grassed area. Throwing a biscuit for Oscar the boxer: overdid the bowling action follow through and started to tumble. Even a forward roll doesn't take the sting out nowadays. Oscar found it very amusing as he bounced around me as I looked skywards:) Aches in various places the next day.
Broke my left thumb 50 years ago horsing around in the street in Soho. It wasn't a bad break and mended without any form of treatment, but the site of the break is still visible. Since then I haven't broken a bone, but I notice I am tottering and timid compared to how I used to be.

The shoes I usually wear slip very easily on the outside decking here when it is damp. I've slipped on it a couple of times so far without injury.

Don't overdo the whiskers with co-codamol Humph. It may make you feel ill and may make you a driving risk. I hope the bruised kidney isn't too bad. Nothing would induce me to try conclusions on a mountain bike now, although as a teenager I was always crashing on bikes. Indeed the only mountain bike I have ridden, a motorized one, had worn telescopic front forks that made it handle in a frightening manner.

Don't mash yourself up now man. Cha!
 I've been Humphed - Duncan
>> Broke my left thumb 50 years ago horsing around in the street in Soho.

Yes, I nearly got caught doing that once!
>>Not sure whether to rub it on or drink it...

Depends where you were thinking of rubbing it
 I've been Humphed - Ted

Get your sexetary to rub it in, man.....you know it makes sense. Follow up with a good swig of horse liniment...That'll warm your cockles ( and any other dangly bits that may hurt )

Never broke a bone in me 67 yrs...he said smugly...awaiting some disaster tomorrow.

Ted
 I've been Humphed - R.P.
Been passing this car as I toddle off for my lunch every day this last year. It sprouted a "solution" to a Humph'd door mirror - I think it looks like a Rover door mirror - kept in place with a wedge of wood and neatly folded just in case it happens again...

www.flickr.com/photos/67389469@N02/8380034681/in/photostream
Last edited by: R.P. on Mon 14 Jan 13 at 16:44
a ready solution for you all..........

www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20759
 I've been Humphed - R.P.
Nearside door mirror on the Fiesta is becoming a pain - it was humph'd long before we bought it and had been stuck back by the previous owner. The glass is fixed in it, sadly at a poor angle for maneuvering in tight spots. MoT runs out in April so toughie - try the local scrappies or buy a twenty quid jobbie from e-bay or just live with it ???
 I've been Humphed - TeeCee
>> try the local scrappies or buy a twenty
>> quid jobbie from e-bay or just live with it ???
>>

Definately a scrappy first. Also worth checking how bad it is underneath the damage. I've found in the past that the core of a modern mirror assembly tends to be metal and if so, that'll remain intact through all but the most catastrophic thump. It's often simpler to strip the plastic and glass bits (and any electric actuators if fitted) from the "stump" and replace with same off the replacement component than it is to strip the door and swap the entire assembly.
 I've been Humphed - Zero
>> >> try the local scrappies or buy a twenty
>> >> quid jobbie from e-bay or just live with it ???
>> >>
>>
>> Definately a scrappy first. Also worth checking how bad it is underneath the damage. I've
>> found in the past that the core of a modern mirror assembly tends to be
>> metal and if so, that'll remain intact through all but the most catastrophic thump. It's
>> often simpler to strip the plastic and glass bits (and any electric actuators if fitted)
>> from the "stump" and replace with same off the replacement component than it is to
>> strip the door and swap the entire assembly.

On a fiesta of that vintage its probably just a matter of prise off the small interior trim bit, three screws and a plug if its got electric bits.
 I've been Humphed - Alanovich
I've been and gorn and humphed myself last night.

I was taking the wheelie bins out, and as I passed the Galaxy on the driveway I wobbled a bit and the bin hit the door mirror with sufficient force to snap it off. The air rapidly turned blue.

Reaffixed with parcel tape. I shall be seeking a replacement via scrappies/ebay etc. A new one on a car worth not very much would be an extravagance. I'm hoping that it's an easy DIY job, although it is an electric (but not heated) mirror.
>>humphed myself last night...

"Mrs H'd" please !

I am merely the innocent financier in these matters !
I just don't see "I've been Humphed by his Missus" as the sort of phrase I should use.
 I've been Humphed - madf
>> >>humphed myself last night...
>>
>> "Mrs H'd" please !
>>
>> I am merely the innocent financier in these matters !
>>

Methinks yon man doth protest too much..

With apologies to Hamlet et al.
I hath not and ne'er will labour at the toil and turbulence of bleedin' Primark either...
Latest Forum Posts