Motoring Discussion > Audi A4 B6 - Buying a car with a replacement engine... Car Deals
Thread Author: .... Replies: 4

Audi A4 B6 - Buying a car with a replacement engine... - ....
...gearbox, cat and refurbished drive shafts.

Would you ?

After reading about the stolen RS4 in Aberdeen I came across this:
tinyurl.com/az2lsdn (link to mobile.de)

Audi S4 in Germany, engine was replaced 15k kms previously, gearbox 30k kms previously.

Still says to me Bilsteins have 155,000 miles under them as has the rest of the car.

A quick search showed that engine is 12k€ to buy, 15k€ fitted. Presumably the ancillaries have been transferred over.

Would anyone seriously consider one of these at that sort of money when there's another in the area showing 80k miles from another dealer ?

Audi A4 B6 - Buying a car with a replacement engine... - No FM2R
I would.

People get too excited about mileage.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Tue 15 Jan 13 at 21:04
 Audi A4 B6 - Buying a car with a replacement engine... - ....
The mileage doesn't bother me, c. 20k miles a year for 9 years in a 4.2l V8 with a full history shouldn't worry that engine.
It's the expense incurred then the relatively quick (within 6 months based on averaging out the mileage) disposal that got me thinking why ?

The drive shafts have been refurbished, the gearbox replaced but no mention of the rear diff.
Last edited by: gmac on Tue 15 Jan 13 at 21:13
 Audi A4 B6 - Buying a car with a replacement engine... - Zero
Depends on the price surely, and how well its been done. Wouldnt dismiss it out of hand.
 Audi A4 B6 - Buying a car with a replacement engine... - -
I'd want to know the source and checkability of any replacement major parts such as engine or box, brand new from manufacturer or reconditioned which can mean anything from properly to a new gasket set plus a set of rings and shells if you're lucky.

Its amazing just how few 40k 6 year old used cars there for sale are but an astonishing number of parts available from breakers salvaged from 6 year old write offs that had only covered those 40k...;)
Latest Forum Posts