Motoring Discussion > My car is filthy! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 10

My car is filthy! - BobbyG
I take pride in my car and regularly wash and wax it, especially during summer.

Now I reckon it must be a good couple of months since I last washed it and it is covered in that winter salty gritty dirt that you get at this time of the year.

Now I know salt and grit is bad for it but I cant help but think the car looks quite smartish with its dirt. Other than the lights and number plate which I have cleaned, as well as the mirrors and front side window, the rest of the car is caked!

But its purely caked, there are no streaks or blemishes in the dirt, it is, well perfect dirt!

Think I might see how deep I can get the dirt!
 My car is filthy! - R.P.
Photo !
 My car is filthy! - mikeyb
I saw a citroen DS3 at work today. The black paint was so filthy, but evenly so, that I thought it had a special matt black paint job. Only closure inspection showed a few shiny gloss bits

It looked quite mean and menacing
 My car is filthy! - Robin O'Reliant
I have a part time job which involves driving the guvnor's Seicento, It's a yellow 53 plate and hasn't been washed for at least four years. From a distance it looks like a two tone, jet black from the waist down.

It never gets a service till something breaks, at the moment the coolant needs topping up every day because the heater is leaking, hasn't seen anti-freeze for years and the oil is only ever checked when I do it - which is not part of my job, and by then it's normally below the minimum.

Blasted thing is rust free and apart from the occasional snapped clutch cable it never misses a beat. It's sailed through the last few MoTs despite the rear wiper not working. If I treated my own car like that it would fall apart in less than a year.

And who said Fiats were trouble?
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Thu 17 Jan 13 at 19:39
 My car is filthy! - TheManWithNoName
I haven't washed my car in over a year and it doesn't look too bad. The alloys are a bit grey but I figure it has a protective coating of mud and grit bonded by grease/rubber and diesel.

I might start marketing it.
 My car is filthy! - mikeyb
IIRC a few years back people in big cities were buying mud to dress their 4X4's and justify having them in a city
 My car is filthy! - -
Its OK leaving cars like that, but if you want to get them back to condition again its going to take some serious chemical action to do so, with permanent degradation to the finish.

Not to worry, take it to the £5 hand wash, they'll have some industrial TFR meant for lorry fleets, a good soaking in that will remove every bit of protection ever applied to the paint and half the lacquer but it will look clean, until it dries when it will assume the matt look.

My car is filthy! - R.P.
Won't wash the Beemer until the weather changes - covered in designer mud from a pre-Christmas trip to te pub. It'll polish up well enough thanks to its coating. May re-spray it matt black in a couple of years.
 My car is filthy! - RattleandSmoke
I am not sure which engine it will have, I suspect at 53 it will be the same engine as mine, the 1.1 FIRE. They are pretty much known to be bullet proof, FIAT forumers reckon with frequent oil changes and renewal of coolants the FIRE engine will do 300,000 miles.

FIAT were one of the first to introduced galvanised bodies too.

The FIRE is one of the main reasons I bought the Panda because they are so tough and easy to work on. I didn't want anything fancy and expensive to fix. Although my car does have the electronic power steering time bomb.
 My car is filthy! - Jacks
>> I take pride in my car >>

Now I reckon it must be a good couple of months since I last washed
>> it >>

confused!

My car is filthy! - VxFan
>> >> I take pride in my car >>
>>
>> confused!

Perhaps he was referring to the inside, not the outside.
Latest Forum Posts