Motoring Discussion > Snow chains. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 11

Snow chains. - Old Navy
I was in our local LIDL this afternoon, they have four sizes of snow chain sets at £20 a time. Typically we have not had a single flake of snow, but LIDL also have axle stands, trolley jacks, roof bars, wiper blades and of course the much mentioned battery chargers.
 Snow chains. - Shiny
Same ones at Eurocarparts, even large ones (£19.19 delivered).
Last edited by: sooty tailpipes on Fri 18 Jan 13 at 16:20
 Snow chains. - Old Navy
They look the same but it is an ECP non stock item, LIDL had a big pile of them, and ours probably still have as we don't have any snow.............yet. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 18 Jan 13 at 16:32
 Snow chains. - R.P.
Bought a set of them ON - sitting in the boot of the Beemer as we speak - well made bit of kit. See which way the weather goes tomorrow - may give them a try.
 Snow chains. - Old Navy
As a geriatric I have the luxury of choosing when to use my car, so I don't need snow chains. :-)
 Snow chains. - Runfer D'Hills
As someone who is still relatively speaking, in the first flush of youth but who lives a good few hundred miles south of of Aviemore, neither do I.

:-)
 Snow chains. - R.P.
Back from the Teutonic ice storm then Humph ?
Yeah, got back about 2.00 this morning. Plenty of snow here but far more there. They of course just accept it and get on with it. I was in several Mercedes E and C class taxis this week and despite snow covered roads they still drive like their trousers are on fire. Winter tyres though I suppose.
 Snow chains. - PhilW
Am I right in thinking that snow-chains in UK are a bit over the top? I can see the point in countries where there is hard packed snow and ice for several months per year but in our snow surely they would cut straight down to tarmac and you would end up with shredded tyres? Winter tyres surely a better option in UK? Our friend in Austria has 3 sets of tyres - uses winter tyres from Oct to March approx and has some studded ones for when really bad conditions, but told me he has had them for years rarely used them. Said it's illegal to use them except in really bad ice conditions.
I've not seen proper studded tyres for years but the last time I did I was in Norway in the winter on a business trip. Our local rep who was ferrying me about had a Sierra estate ( shows you how long ago eh? ) fitted with them. He was able to drive at what seemed like normal sales rep speeds on hard packed snow in a RWD car. Amazing really. Noisy though.
 Snow chains. - rtj70
>> Am I right in thinking that snow-chains in UK are a bit over the top?

For compacted snow and ice I guess they work well. But as soon as you are on normal roads without ice/snow they have to be removed.

Similar requirement for studded tyres - ice on ground they work. No ice and they rip up the tarmac.
 Snow chains. - Bigtee
All season tyres would be best if you live in the sticks or do need the car for work etc.

It's snowing now since 4pm off to go play out for a spin soon with mine on. :-)
Latest Forum Posts