Motoring Discussion > Jalopy Gems Car Deals
Thread Author: brettmick Replies: 2

Jalopy Gems - brettmick
My recent jalopy hunting has made me think about the "gems" that exist across the price range and made me wonder what people think (or experenced) as gems in the past and what of the current crop will be the "gems" in ten years time.

I think a "gem" has to be something under the radar, so not a Ford (if many of them get to ten years) or a Toyota (as everyone knows their reputation so prices stay high).

I guess recently the Mazda 323F and the Nissan Almera fall into this category. Some Mitsubishi models, perhaps the Fiat Bravo (the depreciation bringing it into jalopy range so quickly). Maybe some of the big French cars that people are scared of so avoid?

The next "gems" to me are possibly things like the last Kia Megentis models - already a 3 year old one with 4 years warranty left is only £6k. The Ceed is a possible, although the rise in used prices for these suggests people are waking up to them. The Volvo S80? Maybe one of the new Chevrolet models will prove a gem?

Any thoughts?
 Jalopy Gems - Dave_
Volvo XC90s are getting cheap now. A lot of car for the money.
 Jalopy Gems - Auntie Lockbrakes
Just revived my Mother-In-Law's Primera thread. I reckon that any turn of the century Nissan must be a bargain. Presumably they only cost pennies to buy these days?

Brother-in-Law runs an '02 Skoda Fabia 1.4 as a second car - paid under a grand for it 18 months ago after his R-reg Felicia finally gave up the ghost.

Back in the day a used Fiesta used to be seen as pretty cheap and reliable?

Is it my age - or imagination - that after about 2000 cars suddenly became a lot more complex and costly to maintain?!
Latest Forum Posts