Motoring Discussion > This is going to hurt his pocket. Swiss Speeding Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 10

This is going to hurt his pocket. Swiss Speeding - Meldrew
But all this progress will be lost on the 37-year-old Swede who last week was flashed in canton Vaud exceeding the speed limit by some 170km/h.

His Mercedes SLS AMG – the same make as the safety car at Formula One races – was eventually caught by a new generation speed camera on the A12 between Bern and Lausanne having evaded a number of radars incapable of clocking speeds above 200km/h.

“He needed over half a kilometre to come to a halt,” said Benoît Dumas, spokesman for Fribourg police.

After being formally identified and questioned, he was allowed to leave – minus his car. His excuse was that “the speedometer must have been on the blink”.

A local mechanic told Le Matin newspaper he wasn’t surprised the speedometer wasn’t working. “He obviously disconnected it. It’s an old trick! You can then fool the buyer into believing the car’s been delivered by a truck fresh from the factory.”

According to Le Matin, the car was set to be sold in Germany the same day its driver was stopped.

Can a modern car speedometer be "Disconnected"?
Last edited by: Meldrew on Mon 21 Jan 13 at 14:18
 This is going to hurt his pocket. Swiss Speeding - Zero

>> Can a modern car speedometer be "Disconnected"?

On a high performance car with ABS, traction control, and stability control? no probably not.
 This is going to hurt his pocket. Swiss Speeding - No FM2R
Not in any meaningful way - the display could fail, but the car would still be registering the speed and mileage, even if not showing it to the driver.
 This is going to hurt his pocket. Swiss Speeding - rtj70
What if the vehicle speed sensor on the gearbox failed to send a signal to the speedo? A fault on some FIATs for example. No speed reading nor mileage.
 This is going to hurt his pocket. Swiss Speeding - Robin O'Reliant
>> What if the vehicle speed sensor on the gearbox failed to send a signal to
>> the speedo? A fault on some FIATs for example. No speed reading nor mileage.
>>

Happened on the Seicento I drive occasionally. Went like that for a nearly a year till it needed a fresh MoT.
This is a top of the range merc sports car we are talking about, the speed is coming from the traction CPU which is fed by the wheel sensors and the gearbox.

And radar probably.
 This is going to hurt his pocket. Swiss Speeding - rtj70
The question was: "Can a modern car speedometer be "Disconnected"?"

The Seicento seems possible - any other modern cars that this might work on? Granted I doubt the SLS would have such a simple mechanism for calculating road speed.
The answer then is, yes it can be disconnected on my Lancer. Then again my lancer is not going to be going as fast as that blokes Merc.
 This is going to hurt his pocket. Swiss Speeding - Boxsterboy
I wouldn't call your Lancer a 'modern car'.
 This is going to hurt his pocket. Swiss Speeding - No FM2R
I'm not sure I'd call it a car.
Not like you to be unsure of anything.
Latest Forum Posts