Motoring Discussion > Bike rack. And now for something completely new Miscellaneous
Thread Author: henry k Replies: 14

Bike rack. And now for something completely new - henry k
New to me anyhow .

www.seasucker.com/shop/mini-bomber/
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 22 Jan 13 at 21:32
 Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - Runfer D'Hills
Oh now then, I like that !
 Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - Bigtee
I'll stick with the tow bar mount.

Rubber suckers no thanks.
 Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - henry k
My son was considering this solution re a SLK.
With the extra drag of a bike up top I hope it would not lift the roof ?
 Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - Alastairw
Suction cups like those are strong enough to lift plate glass when being craned onto a building, so should be strong enough for bikes. The suction probably depends on the panel/glass being scrupulously clean though.
 Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - Zero
>> Suction cups like those are strong enough to lift plate glass when being craned onto
>> a building, so should be strong enough for bikes. The suction probably depends on the
>> panel/glass being scrupulously clean though.

And near microscopically flat surface, not like a car. They use mounts like this for sticking cameras to the outside of cars, almost always on the windows.
 Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - bathtub tom
Would you have to polish the turd car first?
 Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - Bromptonaut
I'd stick with putting them on the roof. At least for as long as I have a conventional estate.

Have seen 4 bikes on roof of a Berlingo but we'd be talking nigh on eight feet from a height restriction perspective. And a step ladder to load the middle pair. Pressed down that route I'd forsake easy boot access and go for the towbar mount.
 Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - Ted

I wouldn't risk it meself.......The first one that flies off on the motorway and you're in the do-dos.

Suction cups are for bedroom use only...imo.

Ted
 Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - bathtub tom
>>Suction cups are for bedroom use only...imo.

That's a new one on me, care to enlighten us?
 Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - Ted

Sorry, no. I have no way of telling whether you are over 18 !

Ted
 Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - Clk Sec
Some years ago I felt very confident using one of these rubber shower mats with multiple suction cups, until the day it decided to slip and I did a double somersault.

Never again.

Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - Haywain
I hope they're more reliable than the suction cup/hooks that my wife insists on using in the kitchen. They won't even support the weight of a tea-towel.
 Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - rtj70
Isn't there potential for these to damage/bend/dent the panels they stick to? Especially if driven like the demo video.
 Bike rack. And now foir something completely new - WillDeBeest
Seems to me like a solution in search of a problem: "Look, we've got some strong sucky-cups, what might we be able to stick them to?" A situation familiar to parents of six-year-olds but something engineers ought really to have grown out of.

Modern cars have bits - roof mounts, tow attachments - that are designed to be strong enough to bear external loads. There are well-proven means - clamps, mostly - of attaching those loads. A lever-operated suction cup is fine for a short time on a smooth surface: I have one on a (crap) knife sharpener that does a good job of holding it in place on a flat, smooth counter, but eventually it will split, warp or harden and won't work any more. Not a problem in that situation but more of one for something you might want to stay in place for hours, even days, and to withstand serious forces.

There's another worry: suckers for lifting glass are used by experts, who will have a proper safety procedure for attaching them properly. Bike racks that don't attach to the car's strong points are bought generally by nature's corner-cutters, and the thought of these products in those hands, frankly, gives me the willies.
Latest Forum Posts