Motoring Discussion > Are car purchases meant to be? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 28

Are car purchases meant to be? - Stuu
We have been casually looking about for a family sized car but have frankly been unable to find anything that we really warmed to. We looked at a Kia Ceed and while the boot was big, my continuing neck/back issues mean dealing with a baby in the back seat in a car that low is not realistic, so we resigned ourselves to an MPV type car.
So we crossed the lot and had a good look at the Kia Carens instead, which is a nice motor, cheap for what it is and all the space you would need but for some reason, we just werent feeling it - the dealer offered us 3.4% flat rate on the finanace which seems pretty good and close to the 3.125% we got on the Sirion. Still we thought and talked and felt that if I had to give up my Charade for one, it was going to cost me £700 a year extra on fuel alone and I dont fancy that.

We had pretty well given up, but in the back of my mind I had been keeping the Hyundai Matrix in reserve. Not a special car by any means, but cheap and very reliable, the diesels are very frugal too, my one reservation being that the boot didnt appear that big. Well this afternoon we actually went and looked at one - not a diesel like we wanted but a petrol auto, but atleast we thought, we will get a feel for the space.
We were wrong about the boot - the rear seats slide ( and tilt ) atleast a foot forwards if you want which extends the useable boot space beyond what even the much larger Carens can manage so immediately our interest increased.

Then it occured to me that looking at the price of this low miles main dealer car at £3.5k, I actually didnt need to sell mine at all and I could keep that for the big miles that I do for work and we could use this one jointly as and when we needed a bigger car, so the need for the bigger car being frugal becomes rather irrelevant. So we started looking at the actual car infront of us - one elderly couple from new, 26k on a 56 plate with full history and it is the top of the range leather lined CDX auto, which is frankly immaculate to the extent that I dont think anyone has sat in the back before.

We are off for a proper test drive tomorrow but my wife is already smitten - she said as we pulled away ' When we pick it up, you will have to drive it home ' to which I said ' Oh, we buying it are we? ' she looked at me and said I think we might be! So it looks like the 3 car solution it might be.
 Are car purchases meant to be? - -
Had three cars before FoR, all three were W124 MB's, one estate one saloon one coupe.

It worked a treat, but, the costs of even standing let alone maintaining that third car add up, then add depreciation and the costs were simply too much, we got shot of the estate when it went wrong about 2 years after purchase.

I haven't a clue what the Matrix is worth on the open market, but even with the very low mileage that could be a difficult car to sell unless for peanuts, being petrol it might be a bit heavy on the juice.

Not trying to put a downer on this, and i dare say you'll shift the Charade if the costs of three are too much, just saying look at this long term which we didn't. We didn't struggle for money cos we both had good jobs, but adding the costs soon made us realise it was too extravagant.

3 x insurance, VED, MOT, servicing, depreciation, then the normal fixit costs of a car, i haven't said fuel because 2 of you can only drive two cars at a time.

Some purchases are meant to be and some are not, fate dictated we didn't buy a Scooby this time for SWMBO, it also sent us to the Outlander which fitted the bill better for its job.
Well thinking about the costs, we were going to be spending £140-180 pcm on the finance for a Carens plus additional costs over running the Charade of around £90 pcm so atleast £230 a month extra to have the Carens over what I already pay to run the Charade - the finance for the Matrix is about £80 pcm and the additional cost of the car standing on the drive is £70 pcm so the Matrix is substantially cheaper to buy that extra space for when we need it.

Given the actual miles we need the third car to do ( max 4k ), the 35 mpg is neither here nor there really, it more of a weekend car. Insurance is very cheap, though road tax is £270 a year.

The difficulty in not retaining the Charade is that whatever I get, due to the 18k a year I do, it puts a huge amount onto my fuel bill, easily £80 a month even for an economical MPV like the Carens, not to mention the cost of buying one plus two services a year.
Since the Charade costs only about £40 a month standing still, it is inexpensive to retain it unlike the larger cars you had. It is hardly worth selling it when it costs so little and its nearly 10 years old so stopped depreciating now.

The mileage I do, which is pretty fixed, means it is cheaper to keep the old frugal car as the petrol cost dominates the financials.
 Are car purchases meant to be? - -
No, thats fair enough FoR, as i said i wasn't trying to rain on your parade.

You've got your budgets all covered there and things sound right, sorted.

No time due cambelt change lurking for the Hi and Dye is there?...haven't a clue if its belt or braces.

Blinking ridiculous VED figure though, our Outlander would have amazingly been £470 if it was regd after Mar 06, no wonder Mitsi didn't offer the petrol version in this country when Outlander 2 arrived.

edit.
''she would sell her car if any car was going to be sold, the Charade is staying ( esp after I just stuck a new exhuast on at £278!!! ).''

hmm if the good Lady FoR is going to run it full time it just might be worth enquiring about a cheap LPG conversion whilst things are quiet, might get it done for about £800 a small 4 pot like that?...just thinking like...73.9 @ Corby 76.9 @ Morrisons W'boro.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Tue 22 Jan 13 at 19:23
>>hmm if the good Lady FoR is going to run it full time it just might be worth enquiring about a cheap LPG conversion whilst things are quiet, might get it done for about £800 a small 4 pot like that?...just thinking like...73.9 @ Corby 76.9 @ Morrisons W'boro.<<

She only does 6k a year herself, mainly 14 miles a day to work and the occasional run to Norwich so hardly worth the bother - the Sirion is only doing 37 mpg right now as her work journey is stop/start through town.

I shall be investigating the cambelt issue - should have been done last year on a Hyundai ( 5 years ) but if not you can bet the deal wouldnt happen if its not included.
Last edited by: FoR on Tue 22 Jan 13 at 19:27
Incidentally GB, my wife said that if she likes the Matrix enough, she would sell her car if any car was going to be sold, the Charade is staying ( esp after I just stuck a new exhuast on at £278!!! ).

Are car purchases meant to be? - Old Navy
>>' When we pick it up, you will
>> have to drive it home ' to which I said ' Oh, we buying it
>> are we? ' she looked at me and said I think we might be! So
>> it looks like the 3 car solution it might be.
>>

No might about it, you have been told. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 22 Jan 13 at 18:50
 Are car purchases meant to be? - Baz
I've often toyed with running a 3rd car, a sort of hack car that takes the burden of mileage etc, but I've never managed to make the figures add up properly for me, at least. I would say it's never going to "save" you money in reality, particularly as you're financing these- it simply doesn't make any sense to spend a penny more than you have to. However, what I think this boils down to is whether the £150 a month (minimum) it will cost you is worth it in terms of access to the space and versatility you seek, for 4K miles a year it seems pretty expensive to me , but it's cost v benefit really.
>>However, what I think this boils down to is whether the £150 a month (minimum) it will cost you is worth it in terms of access to the space and versatility you seek, for 4K miles a year it seems pretty expensive to me , but it's cost v benefit really. <<

Well it depends because we need the extra space, that isnt something we can change, so it is only a matter of how we access that space. £150 a month is alot, but £230 is more.
If you think how many people run large family sized cars all the time despite not actually carrying the children for much of that time, it is not unique but my high mileage means the driveway costs are outweighed by the fuel costs.
 Are car purchases meant to be? - Dog
I'd never heard of a Hyundai Matrix before, I checked it out on HJ and it looks mega-boring to me

HJ gives it 2 stars (about the same as my Lancer) but as long as you are pleased with it stu, that's all that matters.
>>HJ gives it 2 stars (about the same as my Lancer) but as long as you are pleased with it stu, that's all that matters.<<

Yes but he wears funny hats. It is good value, exceptionally reliable by every account I can find and it has the space. Mega boring usually means hassle-free. If I wanted excitement id buy a Scenic and play spot the warning light :-)
>> If I wanted excitement id buy a Scenic and play spot the warning light<<

(haha!) - I can't argue with that (Lancer Estates are mega-boring really) ;)
 Are car purchases meant to be? - Baz
Mega boring usually means hassle-free.

Now that is very true!! Currently driving a stop gap Corolla and it fits that description perfectly!
The longer I have it the more I respect its integrity of build.
But to come back to your dilemma, if you need the space and you have the budget, why not go for it, you can always flog one of them later on.
 Are car purchases meant to be? - Lygonos
www.parkers.co.uk/cars/prices/used/hyundai/matrix/estate-2001/22166/?yearplate=82

We all know low mileage and elderly owners means diddly for future reliability.

At least it's an auto so it won't have a smoked clutch ;-)

*Edit* ~ I reckon Parkers are not much cope at this end of the market - a £300 difference between a franchised dealer and a private seller seems laughably small.
Last edited by: Lygonos on Tue 22 Jan 13 at 21:24
>>We all know low mileage and elderly owners means diddly for future reliability.

At least it's an auto so it won't have a smoked clutch ;-)

*Edit* ~ I reckon Parkers are not much cope at this end of the market - a £300 difference between a franchised dealer and a private seller seems laughably small.<<

Oh of course, but it is all main dealer serviced, by this dealer which is useful. I doubt it has ever done more than 50mph!

Parkers might say £1700 at Franchised dealer but thats absurd because almost no main dealer would sell a car with such a small margin. I should add that it is highly unlikely that I will walk away having signed up for more than £3000 or £3100 and a new cambelt. I know they have atleast £2k in the car so I consider it my duty to eat as far into that as they will allow!
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301124898153

Probably stratospheric mileage but we run one of these (newer 1.8 auto) and as far as family transportation goes I rate them very highly.

3 baby seats fit across the back without problem, 6 full size seats, and a good boot with all seats occupied. 32-35mpg with the autobox, driven briskly. Decent ride and surprisingly agile around bends with some trick suspension and 205/55 VR16 rubber.

About the same length as a Civic and perhaps 4" wider - nice high seats for loading bairns in the back to protect the old spine (not as good as the CRV was but I'm pretty lanky, and the CRV couldn't get 3 kids, their parents, and a grandparent away on holiday).

If you're ever stupid enough to have more progeny keep these in mind over the usual 7-seater efforts.
>>But to come back to your dilemma, if you need the space and you have the budget, why not go for it, you can always flog one of them later on <<

Thing is, £150 a month isnt in the larger scheme of things alot to run a car, we were spending £136 a month to just buy the Sirion let alone insure, tax and keep it serviced. Both our other two cars are paid for which takes the pressure off and mine is worth a grand at best and costs just £40 a month standing still so there isnt much to be saved by getting rid but alot to loose on fuel costs.
Looking at both the Charade and the Matrix as a package, both together will cost about £190 a month, still less than the Carens and with a lower fuel cost.
I've driven a Carens as a hire car (sporting a 2 litre TD engine) on maybe a'09-plate.

About 44mpg with 6-up and some luggage.

Nothing wrong with it as family transport.

The foot-operated/hand-released parking brake is a royal pain in the bum at hilltop junctions though...
The Carens is a fine car, but it is bulkier than a Matrix and the examples we looked at for around £7k were rather tired inside, they dont wear well.

I drove the 2.0 TD auto and it is nice enough on the road, but to be honest, we both agree we just didnt warm to it and we would have needed to love it to want to spend so much more on one.
 Are car purchases meant to be? - Fenlander
I'm sorry this is going to be brutal...

A friend in a bit of money trouble and kids to carry bought one of these privately last year for about £2k. A 2005 or 2006 petrol. He has found the ride bouncy, seats uncomfortable with the leather strangely hard but seat spring support lacking. Petrol engine unrefined, oddly sluggish for a 1.8 and it chews through fuel on town and local runs.

His previous car was a Skoda Fabia 1.4 of about the same age and he regrets the change saying the extra room wasn't worth the negatives.

However you don't like cars which I know are really good so the Matrix may well suit.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 22 Jan 13 at 21:56
Thats fair enough chap, Ive already acknowledged the economy issue, but i will play close attention to how the seats feel. Like anything though it also depends what you are used to.

What makes a car good depends on what matters to you personally so when looking at cars I only look at the factual rather than the bits which are opinion, so reliability and real life economy yes, views on things like noise, ride, build etc etc are really for individual judgement.

Some people dont like Charades but ive no idea why as I love mine.
 Are car purchases meant to be? - WillDeBeest
The Skoda dealer in Coventry that used to service our Fabia is also a Hyundai franchise, and had Korean courtesy cars, so the Matrix is one of the few Stu-cars I have any experience of. Don't remember much about it, other than this one was grey, had a serious dent in one side, and was much closer to tolerable than the noisy, gutless, bone-shaking horror that was the Accent. But both made the Fabia feel like GB's W124 by comparison.

Do new Hyundais have the indicator switch in the right place (as opposed to the right side) yet?
>> Do new Hyundais have the indicator switch in the right place (as opposed to the right side) yet?

Pfft - before we joined the EEC the right WAS the right place for the indicator stalk.

I imagine the UKIP manifesto will include fixing this injustice in due course....
>>I imagine the UKIP manifesto will include fixing this injustice in due course....<<

I fully expect Roger to have this in his personal manifesto in May!
 Are car purchases meant to be? - Auntie Lockbrakes
Keeping more cars than there are drivers in the household seems costly to me! As GB has stated, that's 3 tax disks, 3 MOTs, 3 insurance premiums just for starters!

And a car sitting round doing nothing for weeks at a time is a waste of space on the driveway, collecting dust and bird poo!

Sounds like your Missus is ready to ditch her Sirion anyway, and only does around 4000 miles/year you said? So why not trade hers in for something a bit more appealing than a Matrix?

Just my tuppence worth :-)

Didn't you have a good Scooby Forester a few years back?
>>Keeping more cars than there are drivers in the household seems costly to me! As GB has stated, that's 3 tax disks, 3 MOTs, 3 insurance premiums just for starters!<<

Depends entirely on how many miles you do. If I start running one big diesel MPV, my mileage means the extra I spend on fuel runs to atleast £800 a year, plus £1800 a year for the finance.
The finance on the Matrix plus the extra static costs still only amounts to £1700 tops without the fuel cost penalty and keeping the Charade is what prevents that penalty. One benefit of the Matrix is that it is really cheap to get a reasonable example whereas the Carens which we like is not far off double the money for one only a year younger - and the Carens is by no means a premium choice, they are pretty good value themselves.

>>And a car sitting round doing nothing for weeks at a time is a waste of space on the driveway, collecting dust and bird poo!<<

In the garage and it would be used atleast twice a week on a 30 mile journey each time plus a 250 mile trip every 6-8 weeks or so - not quite ornament status!

>>Sounds like your Missus is ready to ditch her Sirion anyway, and only does around 4000 miles/year you said? So why not trade hers in for something a bit more appealing than a Matrix? Didn't you have a good Scooby Forester a few years back? <<

Im not sure about that. She thinks a Sirion IS appealing, she loves her little car so I wouldnt try and apply man-logic to it. We looked at Foresters but there are few about and asking silly money. She tends to go by how relaxed she feels driving a car, which for her is 100% about ease of use because she is a nervy driver, so it is a good bet that visability, light steering and smallish size will be to her liking.
Last edited by: FoR on Tue 22 Jan 13 at 23:26
Signed and sealed. Took a 15 mile test drive, both me and my wife drove it. Honestly Im not sure why someone would say the ride isnt good as it seemed perfectly alright - not pillow soft but seemed to cope well with the terrible state the snow has left roads in.
Engine pulled well, I took it up to 75 and it didnt seem noisey except under high load, gearbox was smooth and positive, steering was actually quite meaty, more so than I expected.
The seats are hard, no doubt there, but I found them extremely supportive and the variety of adjustment meant finding a good driving position was easy.
I think the leather would benefit from conditioning and some muffin of a valeter seems to have put dashboard shine on the seats - a lazy trick.
Condition is pretty good, just a couple of minor nicks here and there, but to be honest it is a £3.5k car and viewed from that perspective you couldnt expect it to be much better - give me a warm Saturday with my bottle of polish and ill soon sort some of the marks out. It also has a proper spare wheel, on a genuine alloy - Im sure some of you will appreciate that!

Only negatives are the tracking was a bit off and there was no firm record of a cambelt change so both things will be done before collection. It was serviced 3 months ago so no need to do that again. It comes with a 12 month warranty including roadside assistance through Hyundai so better than some used car warranties. We did get a freebie - 12 months road tax at £270 plus another couple of hundred to sweeten it.

Happy campers, pictures to follow if anyone is interested.
The Matrix is not unlike the Spacestar to look at, it looks nice in red on Aitchieboys site.

>>pictures to follow if anyone is interested<< I'm interested to see if it's green :}

It isnt :-)
Latest Forum Posts