Motoring Discussion > losing car keys Miscellaneous
Thread Author: slowdown avenue Replies: 13

losing car keys - slowdown avenue
if you lost your keys on a day out . what chance do you think of seeing them again
 losing car keys - henry k
I would expect no chance.

I have back up plans / keys so my only concern is that the finder could quickly find my car and do mischief.
If I still have command of my car then I can reprogramme my remaining keys thus resticting ANO to access only but then unable to start it.
 losing car keys - VxFan
I have a key ring on my car keys with a freephone address on it should someone find them. The serial No on the key ring is registered to me through CPP - my credit card protection policy. The keys get sent to them, and eventually returned to me.

Of course this relies on someone putting the keys in a post box. If I found someone else's keys, then I would. I guess it boils down to whether someone else would though.
VxFan
Thanks for the hint.
I have a similar set up for house keys but not for my car keys.
My tag is a heavy brass job. I will consider getting some light plastic copies made .
Not considered it to date but dealers charge £200+ for a new key.
I have five keys two of which are basic unlabled Ford type keys so if found by ANO it is far from obvious they are for my X type.

I also have the Tibbe code for my key which means many places can cut a key ( from a phone call even ) which will allow access to the cabin ( but sets off the alarm)
 losing car keys - Tigger
I have a tesco club card tag on my keys, and hope that someone would hand them in to a Tesco.
 losing car keys - Zero
they the keys to your horse box?
 losing car keys - Clk Sec
I have a key tag that offers a reward if they are returned to my insurers. Seems a good idea to offer an incentive.
had a tesco card on my key ring but no joy there. went to local cop shop. they didn't offer much help, he had a foot square carboard box full of keys , he quickly went through and said no vauxhall keys in there, goodnight. they throw the box out every 3 months he said . Was offered key insurance for £12 a year by car insurance company fully inclusive of every key on the ring. seems like a steal now.
 losing car keys - Bromptonaut
Next to nil I would have thought unless you can narrow down the search. Mine dropped out of my pocket in a cinema but fortunately I was driving and reached for them before we'd left the auditorium.

The Lad thought he'd heard then drop and found them under my seat.

No marks to tie them to me or car though there's a distinctive advertising tag which would identify them amongst found property.

Getting a new keys would be a faff as process requires other keys to be re-programmed. Thus would need to recover spare held by daughter who's away at Uni (useful when she comes home as she can just drive away from station where my car lives during the day).

Even a non plip type is quite costly.
>>Even a non plip type is quite costly.
>>
Except for my X type. The keys are Ford Tibbe so I have lots of choice so I bought non logo clones that cost about £8/9 (plus cutting )ready for me to programme.

I had not thought to add some distinctive lightweight marker or tag to my blipper keys.
 losing car keys - Robin O'Reliant
I lost my mobile on Wednesday, over twenty miles from where I live. I remembered using it just before I got in the car and made a dash back at 9pm, over four hours later. Got to where I'd been parked, dialed it on the phone I took with me and there it was, lying in the gutter ringing away quite happily.

Unfortunately ring was all it did, because either I or another had driven over it and the display was smashed to bits. Never liked that phone anyway.
 losing car keys - Dutchie
Dauhter lost her car keys in the multistory car park in town.I have her spare key at our house .She rang me panicking I told her to go to the security chap if anybody handed them in.Somebody had she was lucky her car could have been nicked.Lost a mobile phone once in the village one of my best phone's liked it.Never got it back.All I have now is a pay as you go phone twenty pounds maximum on.
 losing car keys - Londoner
>> The Lad thought he'd heard then drop and found them under my seat.
>>
As they say in these parts, "the boy done good"! :-)
i always try to keep the key ring heavy so i can hear it hit the floor , feel it it in my pocket and see them more easily.
have just bought a key ,ring that i have attached to my belt, a plastic joint clip with a plastic coil to streetch to front door. because in the past i found them still in front door.
i/ll wager theres more keys lost in this cold and snow, with gloves and large jackets on
Latest Forum Posts