Motoring Discussion > Her next one... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 61

Her next one... - Runfer D'Hills
OK then, not a certainty, but Mrs D might be getting an itch for a new car. She loves her Qashqai but I deduce she's in the mood for something which is a bit more peppy.

So, thinking caps on chaps and chappesses. Here's some criteria...

Probably prefer not to exceed a total budget of £10k
Probably prefer not more than 5 years old
Probably prefer sub 50k miles
Prefer 40mpg +
5 seats
Properly quick please says she...

For a clue as where I'm starting, I'm thinking BMW 1 series or VW Golf with at least 2.0 engines maybe diesels for the economy, but well, 35 mpg is ok at a push...

But y'know, suggestions welcome...

Her next one... - Zero
Seem to recall you misread the signs last time.....

Anyway, you missed some things off your list

* not that wide

* Cheap door mirrors.
Good points !

No, what's torn it is she drove mine this morning and then got back in hers. Think she's reawakened a need for speed...
 Her next one... - Zero

Here you go then, Under 10 grand, under 50k miles, 5 years old, 5 doors,

Properly quick? you betcha

Focus ST

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212104570451
Ooooh er ! Super idea ! And what's more, a woman could get away with that colour. A bloke would look, well, a bit of a ( insert derogatory term )

Funnily enough, I was looking at a darkish blue one of those today...
 Her next one... - Fenlander
Well you've made some kind comments on my Alfa threads so it's call my bluff time...

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201242488614932
That's nice ! Alfa cambelt munching might be a worry... How worried should one be on a scale of 1-10 do you think?
>>>, a woman could get away with that colour. A bloke would look...

We've been attending a regular event for a few years where the organising family have this exact car in the same colour. Mr Chav, Mrs Chav and chubby teen chav suit the car and it suits them....
Well it's not the cars with the poor reputation for cambelt munching is it... more your personal record on such things.

That car should have just had the belt changed and then you have 36k worry free.

On a scale of 1-10... 0.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Sat 26 Jan 13 at 18:32
Just showed her the thread and the Alfa. Think we might be getting warm...
Does she like an estate? This looks really nice in red...

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301214995229
Also nice. Estate not essential but handy enough. Dog and so on.
 Her next one... - R.P.
Skoda Roomster. :-)
Now that's just silly RP ! While she's not precious about cars, that's beyond the pale. Interesting suggestion GB...( below )
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sat 26 Jan 13 at 19:54
 Her next one... - -
I suggest for the Lady D'Bout a Forester with the Diesel lump.

Full time simple 4WD really does inspire no nonsense confidence, and i don't mean just in bad weather either, but no road surface wet or pock marked upsets them, pull out on main road junctions on full power without a hint of a slip, i'm a convert.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sat 26 Jan 13 at 19:06
 Her next one... - Clk Sec
>>
>> Here you go then, Under 10 grand, under 50k miles, 5 years old, 5 doors,
>>
>> Properly quick? you betcha
>>
>> Focus ST
>>
>> www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212104570451

May I respectfully point out that the Focus is considerably wider than many others in its class, at a whopping 1991mm including mirrors.

Be narrower without mirrors though...what's more, any other driver would definitely see that one coming.

:-)
 Her next one... - -
>> May I respectfully point out that the Focus is considerably wider than many others in
>> its class, at a whopping 1991mm including mirrors.

I'll vouch for how wide Focus has got, position 1 on a standard transporter requires reversing car on securing then lowering that car/deck and sliding it under position 2 when aligning the top deck on an 11 car carrier.

I put a, new to me then but fortunately ex renter, Focus 2 in exactly same position on the deck that i'd previously loaded hundreds of Focus 1's.

When i powered the deck down there was an odd sound, which turned out to be the blind to me NSF wing crumpling up neatly on the deck pivot knuckle.

oops...;)

Why have modern average cars got so large now, its getting ridiculous.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 28 Jan 13 at 10:37
 Her next one... - Dog
>>Think she's reawakened a need for speed<<

= = = > crystalmethtreatment.com/
 Her next one... - legacylad
I think that bought privately, a 330d touring could just meet all those criteria. Try looking on Autotrader.
Punt the cashcow off through BCA SureSell and find a nice one owner Beemer.
If it needs new tyres consider fitting some 'all seasons' with the snow flake symbol and negotiate hard, as indeed I did. Need more space? Fit a towbar.
Like that idea too LL...
 Her next one... - ....
I am stunned a Mk3 Mondeo estate does not fit the bill.
Volvo D5 you choose the shell, upto 245PS should fit the bill.
 Her next one... - ....
You can't have Teutonic his 'n hers Stuttgart and Munich taxis. How will your son be able to look his school mates in the eye ?
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 27 Jan 13 at 00:07
 Her next one... - Londoner
Would a SEAT Leon be too small?
10k gets you a diesel with 20k miles. 0-60 in 8.2 secs, official combined mpg = 55.4
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212184664263

or if you prefer petrol, an example with 19k miles. 0-60 in 7.3 secs, official combined mpg = 35.8
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201204444139450
P.S. Another slightly left-field choice...
Toyota Auris 2.2TD SR180 3dr 2008
£8850. 36k miles. 0-60 in 8.1 secs, official combined mpg = 45.6
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201145427142302
 Her next one... - Armel Coussine
>> Toyota Auris 2.2TD SR180 3dr 2008

HJ thought that was terrific, a hot hatch for adults, something like that. Wouldn't mind trying one myself.
Thanks for the suggestion but it's not really a starter I'm afraid. It's just not possible to risk inadvertantly asking "Shall I take you in the Auris darling?" when one has a mild Scottish accent.
Thanks Humph. My first laugh of the morning.
 Her next one... - Mike H
Is this the Qashqai that you were thinking might be a "keeper" in a recent thread? ;-)
 Her next one... - sherlock47
HD'B
What age is the Q? I might just be interested.... I will temporarily make my email visible in my Account Settings. Or get a mod to forward your email details
>>>Is this the Qashqai that you were thinking might be a "keeper"

Well with FoR "apparently" taking a break we need a new forum serial car changer.

Anyway Humph things are moving fast... a sale for the Squashy and several good possibilites for a replacement already.

Dealers will be open in 30mins so your move next.
I'm not sure what we'll do is the honest truth. It was just that she mentioned something yesterday and you know how it is. Just investigating the options I guess. She may well yet decide to keep the Nissan but it's always and equally possible that she'll change if the right car appears on her radar. I really don't mind either way. @pmh, thanks for the contact offer but lets just see how it plays. If she gets up a head of steam to change I'll definitely let you know before any action is taken.

She doesn't "need" a new car, and indeed the Qashqai could well be a keeper, but she might just "want" a new one and that's fine if that's the way it pans out.
 Her next one... - sherlock47
>>@pmh, thanks for the contact offer <<

HD'B - ok thanks - I have taken my email off again but the mod option will always be available:)

p
Ahh well this is my last shot until we hear she's full engaged with the looking process. Both near enough to you I guess...

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201212064532795

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301255053545

Actually intereresting looking at them for a 3rd party... having so much fun with the current cheapy 156 one of these 159 estates could be a serious contender for our permanent car rather than leasing again.

Last edited by: Fenlander on Sun 27 Jan 13 at 09:40
Oh crickey ! Both nice...
 Her next one... - Zero
Just make sure she doesn't need to drive at night, those "pretty" lights are pretty poor, and changing bulbs is a nightmare apparently.
And be sure to get the AA (or whatever your chosen breakdown company is) added to 'friends and family'! :-)
 Her next one... - BiggerBadderDave
How about this?

tinyurl.com/b523nm9
Might not quite do Dave. One suspects you are gradually becoming actually Eastern European...You watch though, GB'll be along in a bit to suggest it'd be alright if it was converted to run on pig poo or something...

Her next one... - corax
tinyurl.com/bbowm9u

Quick with good economy, and nicer than the usual grey ones.

tinyurl.com/beap4cv

Properly quick but maybe not quite as economical :)

Pricey though for mileage and age.
Last edited by: corax on Sun 27 Jan 13 at 13:30
 Her next one... - PeterS
This is closish to some of your criteria, and will be properly quick!

content.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/bmwauc/details?ch=WBAVS72070FG43688

I am growing increasingly envious of Mrs Humph and the wide choice of quite decent driver's cars she is being offered.

I don't want to be a homewrecker Humph, but why don't you divorce her and marry me? I would be pathetically grateful even for a Qashqaieda, let alone one of these sporting diesel beemers or Seat thingies.

Surely in this day and age, with homosexual church marriage soon to be commoner than the hopelessly obsolete real thing, you might consider it? My own wife will be relieved I am sure. It's a win-win suggestion. Pretty please?
 Her next one... - Roger.
You're fudging the issue, AC!
 Her next one... - WillDeBeest
You and AC wouldn't even be obliged to consummate the union, Humph, so provided you can keep your hands to yourselves, you can both still become bishops. Which is more than we can say for the present Mrs d'B.
Last edited by: WillDeBeest on Sun 27 Jan 13 at 21:58
>> wouldn't even be obliged to consummate the union

>> you can both still become bishops. Which is more than we can say for the present Mrs d'B.

My very thoughts WDB, and I was hoping Humph would see it like that. Alas though, he seems to be spurning my once-in-a-lifetime offer, throwing away at the same time the chance to celebrate the first gay marriage in church occasioned by an online proposal in a car-related forum. Imagine the Hello! take just for a start. The man must be crazy.

I feel a bit humiliated. Should I sue I wonder? I can already hear m'learned friends snorting and pawing the cobbles in their stables.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 28 Jan 13 at 00:08
 Her next one... - Manatee
I feel a breach of promise action coming on. We all saw how he led you on.
>> We all saw how he led you on.

Yes, murmuring 'Auris' in that suggestive Caledonian lilt.

Thank you Manatee. I am sure you speak for all here.

I want you all to dress properly when you give evidence for me in the High Court. But you had better bring buttonholes as well in case there is a total capitulation leading to a happy outcome.

Don't wear them in the witness box though. I want the proceedings to be dignified. I will change into my white driving shoes if the best happens. I know Humph would want that. The hole in the left one is quite impressive now.
 Her next one... - Avant
Humph - surely a Focus 2.5 ST won't give more than about 25 mpg in normal driving? A Focus 2.0 TDCi - with your favourite engine - would be lively enough for all but the most extreme girl-racer. And if she's that, she'd have been heartily bored with the 1.6 Cashcow long ago.

If she needs more room, there's the Focus estate, or perhaps an Octavia vRS: hatch or estate, diesel or petrol, according to taste.
Get real Avant...in the nicest possible way.
a friend of mine has a vRS and its division 4 compared to a 330d.
Sorry to offend but thats how it is.
 Her next one... - Avant
Looking at Humph's original post again, I've a feeling that the original ideas of 1-series or Golf might be the right ones, although it makes sense to add the Focus to the list. A 330d would have to be well stricken in years to meet the criteria.
Last edited by: Avant on Mon 28 Jan 13 at 00:48
 Her next one... - corax
>> Get real Avant...in the nicest possible way.
>> a friend of mine has a vRS and its division 4 compared to a 330d.
>> Sorry to offend but thats how it is.

Bloke I know has an octavia vrs and a 330d. He prefers the vrs most of the time because of its lighter steering and agility. Horses for courses really. I think they're both more of a mans car.
I think they're both more of a man's car.

...for which AC has already proposed (in both senses) the solution. Meanwhile, are we looking for the motoring equivalent of a stemmed glass? How's Mrs d'B going to like that?
 Her next one... - corax
>> I think they're both more of a man's car.
>>
>> ...for which AC has already proposed (in both senses) the solution. Meanwhile, are we looking
>> for the motoring equivalent of a stemmed glass? How's Mrs d'B going to like that?
>>

I've no idea what mrs daboot likes in a car. Maybe she see's herself in a tvr griffith complete with stick on chest wig, who know's. Maybe mr daboot can give us a few more clues, after all, he does know more about her than us.

Her next one... - ....
Blow the budget, Mrs Humph loved her Ka, chop the 4xfaux in for a new 180PS Fiesta ST. There will be a fight over who goes for the Sunday papers.
 Her next one... - Alanovich
Here ya go, Humph:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301154921484/
 Her next one... - Zero
Ah well, if we are going for three door coupe styles, then....

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201301084823089
That might hit the sweet spot Z !
Nice car, wrong engine. The 1.6 petrol and diesel make economic sense in the C30 and the five-cylinder diesels are, well, you know, proper Volvo engines. Look (as I did a lot last year) at the relative used prices of V70s with the Ford 2.0D and barely-newer cars with the Volvo D3 and you'll see I'm not alone in preferring five cylinders to four.

Incidentally, has anyone here tried getting out of a C30 in a tight space?
 Her next one... - -
>> Incidentally, has anyone here tried getting out of a C30 in a tight space?
>>

I could write a book on this, it applies to nearly all modern 3 door models with quite ridiculously long and thick doors, Astra bad enough, but 308cc holds the crown for me, horrible horrible car, 407 coupe worse as its a big car anyway but beauty and comfort more than made up the shortfall.

Try getting out of a left hooker when its close to a pillar on a transporter deck, going out the wrong way on the left side is particularly difficult, contortionists would struggle, often ended up clambering over and exiting the RH door.
 Her next one... - apm
Nice C class coupe?

tinyurl.com/ag27uuc
 Her next one... - swiss tony
>> Nice C class coupe?
>>
>> tinyurl.com/ag27uuc
>>

Only whilst it has warranty.....
Blimey ! You go off to work for a couple of days and you end up promised to Keith Richard's less conventional older brother !

I'm away at the mo with limited access to messing about online so please don't think I'm ignoring anyone !
Latest Forum Posts