Motoring Discussion > Satisfaction Miscellaneous
Thread Author: WillDeBeest Replies: 8

Satisfaction - WillDeBeest
Back this evening from my occasional day-trip to the South Coast. Solo this time, and in the S60, 80 miles each way, the longest stretch being the A3. Not the easiest day in some ways, but I really enjoyed the driving, and being back in the old Volvo for the first time since the snow and the Humphing (scars of which still await fixing) was a big part of it.

So what was good? Weather: sunshine for the first day in ages; really lifts the spirits. Traffic: not much about, and certainly not enough to get in the way. Music: I'd unearthed and burned to CD a couple of hidden gems from my LP collection (worth a little discussion of its own in NM, I think) and the HU803 was working up a good head of steam.

But the old car itself deserves some credit. Humph asked me a while ago which of it and the LEC I prefer, and for a solo trip the Swede gets the nod. It just feels right: seats, of course, but mainly it's that terrific engine and a well-spaced five-speed manual. I never need to guess what the car will do before I ask it, just snick it into third and press Go. 'Crispness' is the word I want to apply to it, and it inspires great confidence and puts a smile on this Beest's face.

I know I'll have to replace the S60 eventually, but more than ever I want it to be with another five-cylinder manual Volvo. I really hope the V40 measures up.

So what do you find satisfying on the road? (In a moving car, BBD.)
 Satisfaction - ....
Just done 635 miles today in my S60. I drive new cars regularly for work but a chipped D5 just works.
What would I change ? The door mirrors (sore point, Sorry!) and the air flow over the roof. No idea what was behind me.

The rest perfect and no stops for fuel, still got quarter of a tank left...
 Satisfaction - Avant
"So what do you find satisfying on the road?"

My Octavia vRS gives great satisfaction but there's no doubt about it that there's even more of a buzz to be got from a higher number of cylinders than 4. I really ought to sell the Z3 which has given no trouble in 4.5 years - something must go wrong soon - but I'll miss the glorious sound of the straight-six.

I liked the Volvo V40 I test drove when they first came out - a 1.6 diesel, the only demonstrator available - and I like the thought of the 5-cylinder D3 engine. Is that the same as in the S60 or is the S60 a 2.4?

Interestingly we have a thread going on HJ at the moment about diesel woes with a V70: this may be a one-off but there are some worrying doubts about Volvo diesels in a post today from 659FBE, who is very knowledgeable. And yet there are two of you here with long-lasting S60s, and I seem to remember that DP had a high-mileage S60 that he was very fond of.

Any thoughts anyone?
 Satisfaction - WillDeBeest
The D3 and D4 engines are shortened-stroke 2.0 versions of the 2.4 D5. I've driven the D3 in the V70 - came close to buying one last year, you may recall - and it's excellent; feels as lively as my D5 163, whose paper figures it matches. I'd happily have one.

As for longevity, I can only offer my own experience, which is that my D5 has required a couple of expensive parts - intercooler, DMF (the latter along with a clutch half-worn at 114,000 miles but broken by a leaking slave cylinder) - but that it's been worth the expense. I find the Internet reports of 'fragility' odd, because these are 7-10 year old cars, so something is bound to wear out, and the D5 is a largish, complex engine in a big, fairly expensive car, the sort only a fool would buy at that age without at least budgeting for the occasional expensive repair.
 Satisfaction - ....
The D3 is a new 2.0 engine, same output as our original D5s in standard form. The only similarities between our D5 and the new one is they burn diesel and are called D5.

The VOC website have some very knowledgeable people, I think the reason our cars have been so reliable is because WdB has had his from new and mine was 2 years old. I know my car has had all the weak spots fixed, I suspect WeB has spent some money maintaining his. As with any machine preventative maintenance is the way to go.

I had no worries jumping in my 8 year old car, filling up and driving through 5 countries yesterday morning.
Last edited by: gmac on Sun 27 Jan 13 at 22:18
 Satisfaction - ....
No idea who WeB is sorry WdB.
Avant if you've got a pre2006 3.0 I'd spend some money and make sure I was the last owner, they will be taxed off the road soon enough. Take care of it, fill it up and drive it with a huge smile on your face. When it's gone it's gone.
 Satisfaction - Avant
Thanks gmac - fortunately it's only a 2.2. I nearly went for a 3.0 and for the reason you suggest it's probably just as well. It's not much slower than the 3.0 and is quite a bit more tractable and easier to drive gently when you feel like it.
 Satisfaction - MD
Pajero. 2.8 TD 'M' reg. Bought 3 months ago. 2 owners from new. Just turned 100k miles. It all works including ice cold air con. Put 4 new 50/50 tyres on it £500.00 inc vat and spent some dough on a dog box and superb water holding floor mats. Some seat covers too. I wouldn't hesitate to slog up to angle sea to meet a 325 in it.

except................18 mpg which I believe is the norm. Happy days....
 Satisfaction - ....
You sure it hasn't got hole in the tank MD ?
18MPG is a petrol toy figure, the sort you get with 6 & 8 cylinders.
Latest Forum Posts