Motoring Discussion > Pothole tyre damage Legal Questions
Thread Author: Fursty Ferret Replies: 8

Pothole tyre damage - Fursty Ferret
My dad was on the A43 yesterday when he hit a series of potholes in the left hand lane that tore a hole in his tyre sidewall. He wasn't the only one - I believe there were 5 cars involved, all with tyre damage of some description.

Obviously new tyres aren't cheap and he's looking to claim off the local authority. The potholes in question have been on FillThatHole since November last year, so I'm guessing that he has a valid claim against them.

Anyone had experience of doing this? It's mentioned that photos are vital but as my dad pointed out he wasn't going to stand in the middle of a busy dual carriageway at night to get snapshots of the hole.
Last edited by: Fursty Ferret on Mon 28 Jan 13 at 14:39
 Pothole tyre damage - -
Same here, my lad has just wrecked two 18" split rims (split now) on his S type in a chasm of a pot hole, Northants again but Corby this time.

The HA lads were filling the ongoing pot holes and dodging the traffic in the inside lane M6 Southbound @ Rugby yesterday Sunday afternoon, they might as well get a portakabin cos the poor bighters are fighting a losing battle.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 28 Jan 13 at 14:41
 Pothole tyre damage - CGNorwich
www.potholes.co.uk/claims/how_to_claim

Depends very much on whether the Council or Highways Authority have followed the Code of Practice for Highway maintenance. Just because there is a pothole and it caused damaged to your vehicle does not necessarily make the relevant authority liable. If they have followed the code of practice it is unlikely you will succeed.

Pothole tyre damage - Manatee
Funny things potholes, the snow's just gone and left a load of new ones behind here.

As CGN says, pothole does not necessarily equal negligence.

Good luck with the code of practice. It's 383 pages. Sadly we have probably managed that ourselves without benefit of an EU directive.
 Pothole tyre damage - rtj70
I spotted a few bad pot holes on the motorways on the way to and back from Liverpool yesterday. Not too deep but if hit at speed as they would be might cause some damage to tyres, wheels, suspension.
 Pothole tyre damage - Dutchie
Plenty off potholes here in the East riding of Yorkshire and Hull.No work on any of them started yet no money according to the councils.Anybody on a motorbike or cyclist don't bother unless you want a early grave.
 Pothole tyre damage - WillDeBeest
I noticed this morning that the cold spell hadn't helped the already fractured surface at J5 of the eastbound M4. I dodged one hole that looked big enough to swallow a wheel; perhaps the secret is to drive as fast as possible, so the tyre doesn't have time to drop into the hole.
 Pothole tyre damage - R.P.
Just reported 12 plus pot-holes in around 50m of lane near where we live - busy bit of dark road - on a cycle route etc etc..
 Pothole tyre damage - Cliff Pope
Most of the pictures I have seen of alleged potholes are only a measly 2 or 3 inches deep. That's called a good road surface in our part of the world.
You just need to fit proper wheels and tyres with a a full profile.
Latest Forum Posts