Motoring Discussion > HJ's got the hump Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 14

HJ's got the hump - Robin O'Reliant
www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/caradvice/honestjohn/9849610/Speed-humps-causing-cracks-in-my-walls.html
 HJ's got the hump - Westpig
His advice is normally spot on..the only thing I really disagree with is his insistence that left foot braking is a good idea. Racing drivers etc..yes. Normal public, no, leave it alone.
 HJ's got the hump - Alastairw
He does bang on about speed bumps, but he is right. My 'toryboy' councillor (not elected by me) has been boasting about how he got (unnecessary) speedbumps installed on my road. I am fairly convinced an existing crack in the wall of my living room has grown since.
 HJ's got the hump - Bill Payer
He doesn't explain why they're not the best solution, or offer an alternative, though.

The only way to get to my daughter's house is to drive along a road that used to be a rat run and it now covered in the cushion speed bumps as in the picture. There definitely is less traffic using the road, but what there is just tends to drive at normal speed, straddling the bumps.
 HJ's got the hump - Armel Coussine
Bumps are nasty dangerous things. I don't know why councils are allowed to damage the highways like that. I bet there are laws against it.

They are noisy, they damage car suspensions and tyres, they increase all forms of pollution - brake dust, rubber dust, metal dust and exhaust. There is nothing to be said for them and like cameras I bet they've cost more lives than they've saved. HJ is absolutely right to 'bang on' about them. I do too.
 HJ's got the hump - Slidingpillar
There's a car dealer and parts seller off my list, purely because of the speed humps on the road in. Limit is 30, and in a well suspended car, the bumps can be taken at nearly 30 too. But in my vintage car 10mph is too fast, so I end up with a huge queue behind, nowhere to pull in etc and get out of the way.
 HJ's got the hump - Fenlander
True it's very much down to the car.

Never really slowed for a hump or cushion in the C5 but the Alfa needs care. With the slightly lowered Veloce suspension it will hit the alloy sump on the road on the down side of a hump unless you ease right off... and it's too risky to straddle the cushions at normal speed just in case a high one catches.

Luckily much of my current travel is hump free... that is after the four to negotiate in the village.
 HJ's got the hump - Runfer D'Hills
"Her" Qashqai sails over bumps as if they weren't there. My Merc though has to almost stop to avoid grounding it's front spoiler thing.

Strikes me the whole thing could be avoided by introducing 20 mph limits where it is deemed they are required ( eg narrow residential streets ) and of course enforcing them.
 HJ's got the hump - Zero
>> "Her" Qashqai sails over bumps as if they weren't there.

Good car, needs to keep it really.....
Kind of with you there. Let's see...
 HJ's got the hump - BobbyG
Maybe she hits the bumps so hard the mirror falls off???
Away an' bile yer heid !

:-)
 HJ's got the hump - Cliff Pope
Pot holes would be cheaper than humps.

Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Thu 7 Feb 13 at 12:59
 HJ's got the hump - CGNorwich
"Pot holes would be cheaper than humps."

That must be why they have installed so many pot holes round here in the last few weeks.
 HJ's got the hump - TeeCee
>> That must be why they have installed so many pot holes round here in the
>> last few weeks.
>>

Either that or you have a problem with seriously bloody-minded rabbits around your way....
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 7 Feb 13 at 18:51
Latest Forum Posts