Motoring Discussion > Anyone got a throttle cable? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: carmalade Replies: 26

Anyone got a throttle cable? - carmalade
I would think that most modern cars are fly-by-wire without any mechanical linkage.I have 2 cars in daily use and both have a cable.One is a 7 year old mondeo petrol and the other is a 14 year old honda accord.Anyone else have "cabled cars".
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - Zero
yeah, the 2007 lancer is a cable from the pedal to the throttle body.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - bathtub tom
Kia's got a cable to the twin-choke carb.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - Manatee
2002 Civic and 1999 MX5 have cables.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - Slidingpillar
Of course, my vintage car! Cable from hand throttle to the carburettor, a massive 1 1/8" bore feeding two cylinders.

Plenty of spare cable too, I bought a motorbike bike shop's remaining stock of inner and outer.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - madf
Yaris has.

Honda Jazz? Dunno . Not looked. Lots of electronics tho...far more interesting..and less likely to break.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - Bromptonaut
Xantia has a cable to some sort of control unit. Only a short run in LHD but several feet in UK spec. Think the (IDI) 'lingo has as well.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - Robin O'Reliant
Both our Astras (97 vintage) are cable.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - Mike Hannon
1998 Honda Prelude (yes, I've still got it, it's a long story) and 1995 Jaguar XJS V12 (which has several and more swivels to lubricate than I've seen anywhere else).
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - Cliff Pope
The Volvo and Triumph have cables, the Landrover has a rod and cranks with ball joints.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - RattleandSmoke
Pretty sure my panda has a cable, I will check tomorrow. I wouldn't have thought it was drive by wire.
>> Pretty sure my panda has a cable,
>>

Bargain basement Italian car Rattle, probably a length of string and a few zip ties.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Sat 9 Feb 13 at 17:18
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - Zero
Pasta, the throttle cable is made of Pasta.
>> Pasta, the throttle cable is made of Pasta.

Connected to the throttle farfalle.
That's a load of bolognese you two are talking.
Don't be saucy!
Look, I'm tagliatelling you...
OK, no need to blow your fusilli.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - Boxsterboy
I'm pretty sure my 2CV has a throttle cable! :-)
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - Armel Coussine
My car does have one, thank goodness. Although Number_Cruncher might defend it, it seems dumb to me to do anything electronically that can be done just as well mechanically. It's well known that mechanically solid vehicles - Range Rovers for example - often suffer nightmarish repeated electronic problems. They are made worse by interconnection between them - if the automatic wipers develop a problem the car may stop and refuse to restart, things like that.

Spare me from cheapo bells and whistles.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - Harleyman
Trouble is that if you advocate a good solid mechanical solution over an all-singing and dancing computerised equivalent, you're automatically branded a dinosaur.

I am convinced that in many cases these gizmos are there for the sake of them being there, and no other reason. Here's an example.

On Thursday, driving along in my nice 61 plate Volvo truck, the engine management light came on, then started flashing; screen display threatened to shut the engine down in 36 hours unless action was taken.

A quick phone call to the garage suggested that the problem lay with the Ad-Blue system (for those who don't know, it's a liquid which reduces particulate emissions, or soot) it wasn't life-threatening and we should bring it in tomorrow. Unfortunately the lorry was needed on the road on Friday, so I called in to the dealership at Pontypridd to see if a quick fix could be done. Two hours later I was back on the road; the problem was a faulty knock sensor.

So to sum up; it wan't the actual kit that was faulty, it was the part that tells you that the kit is faulty, that was faulty. I can only see this sort of stuff multiplying ad nauseam.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - madf
Trouble is that if you advocate a good solid mechanical solution over an all-singing and dancing computerised equivalent, you're automatically branded a dinosaur.

Well err you are a dinosaur :-)

Modern fuel injection systems need to know what the throttle position is for the system to work at all. That means with a manual cable you need a TPS - Throttle Position Sensor..an electro mechanical device fitted at the dirty end of the engine - the air intake. TPS systems are prone to mechanical failure over years ... especially el cheapo Ford ones. Add in cable wear, difficult routing and the propensity for cables to penetrate the double bulkhead used to insulate the cabin from engine noise .. and you have a recipe for mechanical complexity AND ingress of NVH.

And if you then add in conversions from LHD to RHS with new cable routings , longer cables and complex runs . you can see why cables should be binned.

Anyone who has tried to change the cable on a Citroen Xantia (prone to breakage) for the first time would no doubt long for a decent elctronic throttle.

Of course being French , the electronic throttle would no doubt fail but that's another issue..
Last edited by: madf on Sun 10 Feb 13 at 04:44
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - Harleyman
>
>> Of course being French , the electronic throttle would no doubt fail but that's another
>> issue..
>>

No. It's the same issue; and it doesn't have to be French to fail although from experience of Renault trucks I concede that it may help considerably.

The issue, as far as I am concerned, is that it brings another line of sensors, ECU's and all the other electronic gizmos into play, all of which conspire to tether the owner to the main dealership and make them utterly dependent on them, and them alone.

Teaching learner drivers about the basics of engine maintenance has come along just at the time it becomes physically impossible to do any more than top the screenwash up; and no doubt someone soon will invent a device that stops the washers working if the wrong concentration of "manufacurer approved" additive is not put in by the dealership.

All in the name of safety of course. ;-)
Last edited by: Harleyman on Sun 10 Feb 13 at 09:12
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Modern fuel injection systems need to know what the throttle position is for the system
>> to work at all. That means with a manual cable you need a TPS -
>> Throttle Position Sensor..an electro mechanical device fitted at the dirty end of the engine -
>> the air intake. TPS systems are prone to mechanical failure over years ...

I've never tested one for longer than 440,000 miles. Shoddy kit they fitted in Volvo 240s.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - TeeCee
>> That means with a manual cable you need a TPS - Throttle Position Sensor

Er, electronic ones also need a position sensor at the pedal end so they know it's been pressed and by how much. They then require some jiggery-pokery involving a stepper motor at the other end of things to operate the throttle butterfly.

Rather more to go wrong than a cable with a sensor on it.

There's no reason for the TPS on a cable system to be at the engine end bar convenience of wiring.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - TeeCee
I once saw a Rover SD1 with the bonnet partially open at the back (hinge at the front).

Driver's window was down with a hand stuck out of it. A selection of knotted shoelaces bridged the gap between hand and carburettors.

Try doing that with an electronic throttle.
 Anyone got a throttle cable? - slowdown avenue
i/ve got a clutch cable. which iam going to pull in a few turns toay .not been touched for 81,000 miles on the aglia . bless it
Latest Forum Posts