Motoring Discussion > De-Icer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 27

De-Icer - Dog
Car was completely frozen up this morning, even the doors! .. being extremely clever I hosed it down, opened the door and started the engine.

Went in back in doors while it was warming up, came out and it was frozen up again :-)

I did splash out (£4) for 2 bottles of Carplan aerosol de-icer but, when I read on the bottle it could harm the paint (metallic) I decided not to use it, just in case.

So am I just being over-cautious - or a wise old owl?

Ah! - maybe I could have used this instead:

www.wilkinsonplus.com/car-maintenance/carplan-pre-icer-500ml/invt/0207859/?VBMST=&VBMTC=da4df3f4bbe36e141c7a4a931544a328
Last edited by: Dog on Mon 11 Feb 13 at 08:26
 De-Icer - -
At the risk of even suggesting you should ruin your engine by pouring gallons of neat fuel down the bores..;)

Seeing as you live far from the mad crowd D sensible fellow, can't you start it 5 mins before leaving and let it warm up and defrost itself proper like?, being Japanese it should be possible to lock the doors with the spare key whilst engine running for peace of mind, so they tell me.

I detest de-icer muck, puts a greasy film on the screen which is horrible once the wipers smear it in.
 De-Icer - Clk Sec
>> being Japanese it should be possible to lock the doors with the spare key whilst
>> engine running for peace of mind, so they tell me.

But beware of local ne'er-do-well with toffee hammer, or similar.
 De-Icer - -
>> But beware of local 'ne'er-do-well' with toffee hammer, or similar.

'Dog' going to break into and nick his own car?...er, tin hat on taxi waiting cheerio.

:-)
 De-Icer - corax
>> But beware of local ne'er-do-well with toffee hammer, or similar.

He lives in the middle of nowhere (lucky sod).

Anyway who's going to nick a Lancer :))
 De-Icer - Dog
>>Anyway who's going to nick a Lancer :))

I checked the px value today ... £2400 :((
 De-Icer - Dog
>>can't you start it 5 mins before leaving and let it warm up and defrost itself proper like?<<

That's what I usually do gord, and sometimes I even bung an old Belling fan heater in the car but the ground was too damp to run the extension lead across the drive this morning.

BTW, I leave the keys in the car 24/7 although it is behind a padlocked gate of course.

Um gonna bin that de-icer!
 De-Icer - swiss tony
De-icer is 80-90% water.
nuff said.
 De-Icer - Dutchie
I wouldn't nick you'r car Dog.Big R Ridgeback with bigger teeth.>:)
 De-Icer - Zero
His ridgeback is a woos.
 De-Icer - Dog
He's a BIG powder puff Dutchie!
 De-Icer - Fursty Ferret
I made regular use of a software bug in the BMW that allowed you to start the engine after the key was removed from the ignition. Get out, lock doors, drink tea while car defrosts.

I'm quite a big fan of deicing by lobbing a bucket of warm water over the car, but it obviously requires some consideration to others with regard to the ice rink created around the car afterward!
 De-Icer - Bromptonaut
>> I'm quite a big fan of deicing by lobbing a bucket of warm water over
>> the car, but it obviously requires some consideration to others with regard to the ice
>> rink created around the car afterward!
>>

Warm water also has the advantage that it drives condensation off the inside of the screen. De-icer OTOH actively promotes internal condensation.

Dispensing the water from a small watering can limits the possible collateral from ice on the ground.
 De-Icer - Clk Sec
>>I'm quite a big fan of deicing by lobbing a bucket of warm water over the car, but it obviously requires some consideration to others with regard to the ice rink created around the car afterward!<<

Quite so. A kettle of lukewarm water gently drizzled over the windows is the way to go.
 De-Icer - Dog
>>A kettle of lukewarm water gently drizzled over the windows is the way to go.

No ... THIS is the way-to-go:

wetter.micanarias.com/webcam/land_Spanien/provinz_Teneriffa/ort_/webcamid_61/webcam.html?pid=3773688074

:)
 De-Icer - madf
Big blowtorch is the way to go..
or electric paint stripper...
 De-Icer - Dog
>>or electric paint stripper...<<

S'not a bad idea actually - a rechargeable hot air blow jobbie for de-icing el coche.
 De-Icer - CGNorwich
Still yearning for the sun I see Dog.
 De-Icer - corax
wetter.micanarias.com/webcam/land_Spanien/provinz_Teneriffa/ort_/webcamid_61/webcam.html?pid=3773688074
>>
>> :)

This is cheaper

tinyurl.com/ct4nofg
 De-Icer - Dog
hehe! I did have a sadlight (10,000 Lux) and they work (for some) but I decided I like being a miserable old git,
in winter.

:-))
 De-Icer - corax
>> hehe! I did have a sadlight (10,000 Lux) and they work (for some) but I
>> decided I like being a miserable old git,
>> in winter.

Never mind dog, only three months to go.

:)
 De-Icer - Fursty Ferret
>> >> hehe! I did have a sadlight (10,000 Lux) and they work (for some) but
>> I
>> >> decided I like being a miserable old git,
>> >> in winter.
>>
>> Never mind dog, only three months to go.
>>
>> :)
>>

... and just four months until we start the long and slippery decline back towards winter.
 De-Icer - Dog
>>and just four months until we start the long and slippery decline back towards winter.

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
 De-Icer - Bromptonaut
>> ... and just four months until we start the long and slippery decline back towards
>> winter.

Four months and ten days to be strictly accurate.

And the rate of change is just showing in the mornings now.
 De-Icer - Rudedog
Another one for warm water, I use an empty 4 llitre milk carton, although I'm sure I get some head shaking from the neighbours who prefer to scrap and wait.
 De-Icer - Dog
>>I get some head shaking from the neighbours who prefer to scrap and wait

Neighbs don't get on around your way then I take it.

:}
 De-Icer - Duncan
>> the neighbours who prefer to scrap and wait.
>>

What time did the fight start?

Was it after I left?

The fight always starts after I have gone home. Blast!
 De-Icer - Rudedog
Oops!
Latest Forum Posts