Motoring Discussion > Alfa Romeo 156 - An Alfa owner at last.....well a third of an Alfa!
Thread Author: DP Replies: 20

Alfa Romeo 156 - An Alfa owner at last.....well a third of an Alfa! - DP
A couple of mates and I have decided to enter a banger rally later in the year, and have been looking half-heartedly for something cheap with a bit of character to use for the event, and potentially afterwards as a track day toy. We eventually found a likely candidate on eBay last week, a tidy for year S-plate Alfa 156 2.5 V6 24v, with 110,000 miles, wads of service history, a long MOT, short tax and a noisy gearbox. Won it for the princely sum of £304.

With the exception of the gearbox internals which sound like they are about to become externals, it's a little cracker. The V6 is sweet, doesn't smoke or rattle, runs at bang on temperature, and after 60 miles up the motorway home had no coolant or oil smells. It tracks straight and true, there are no wobbles, knocks or rattles and although it would be lying to say it's rattle free inside, it's better than expected. We have also secured a good used gearbox for £95, so that's £400 and a bit of labour for what seems, at least on inspection so far, to be a sound, presentable example with "that" 192 bhp V6 under the bonnet.

The bodywork has a couple of scuffs and minor battle scars, but looks original paint-wise, and is much tidier than you'd have any right to expect on a £300 car. All the electrics inside work, the trim is still tidy, and apart from a dodgy wooden steering wheel, it's a very nice place to sit. The car had a bit of welding underneath for the last MOT, and most of the front suspension balljoints and bushes have been replaced in the last 2 years. As a project for three mechanically minded chaps with nothing better to do to tinker with for the next few months, and then to undertake a bit of an adventure in, she will do nicely. And just revving that engine does funny things to my neck hair :-)

Anyway, here she is (links to Photobucket):

tinyurl.com/cc4qkju

tinyurl.com/9we25xt

tinyurl.com/d4ayulc

tinyurl.com/b9ody6r

The plan is to tackle the gearbox swap and carry out a full service, then sort some insurance out, and just run it around locally between us for a bit as a kind of pre-trip shakedown. Might put a cambelt on it as well. It's still got 30k to go in terms of miles, and the V6 isn't known for cambelt problems, but time-wise, it's the wrong side of six years since it was last done, and it would be a stupid thing to wreck an engine for.

Will keep you updated on the progress.

Cheers
DP

Alfa Romeo 156 - An Alfa owner at last.....well a third of an Alfa! - Fullchat
Now that sounds like a project. Amazing isn't it that in comparison to what you paid for the whole car the value of it as parts would way exceed that figure. Indeed keep us posted.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - An Alfa owner at last.....well a third of an Alfa! - -
The wheels and tyres would fetch that alone, judging by the tracks in the mud even the tyres are good, good looking car and i like wooden steering wheels..;)

>> Now that sounds like a project. Amazing isn't it that in comparison to what you
>> paid for the whole car the value of it as parts would way exceed that
>> figure.

That was our logic. The engine and (good) gearbox alone are worth what we paid. Could probably make the same again for the presentable interior, wheels and tyres, body panels, exhaust and suspension bits. It's about as close to zero risk as a car purchase gets, given that we've only put £130-odd quid in each so far anyway.

It has Dunlop SP Sports on the back, and Chinese ditchfinders on the front) - all with stacks of tread.

Last edited by: DP on Mon 11 Feb 13 at 10:33
 Alfa Romeo 156 - An Alfa owner at last.....well a third of an Alfa! - rtj70
Body panels might not be worth much after it's been entered into a banger style rally.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - An Alfa owner at last.....well a third of an Alfa! - Zero
Sounds like fun.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - An Alfa owner at last.....well a third of an Alfa! - Fenlander
Excellent DP... which banger rally is it... assuming something more than Biggleswade to Luton?

Those V6 models are amazing value because folks don't want the fuel/VED costs... even more than they don't want an Alfa. The opinion does seem to be that they are reliable engines. I would do the timing belt though for peace of mind on your adventure.... perhaps an engine out job to swap the gearbox and fit a new timing belt kit would be easier.

The 156 ownership profile of (often) DIY enthusiasts makes selling them for spares an excellent backstop if it all goes wrong. Having said that there are so many cars being scrapped now used spares suppliers are grumbling prices are being forced right down.

The only thing I would comment on re the rally is are you sure it's the right car due to their short travel maintenance intensive (arms/wishbones/bushes) suspension and minimal ground clearance... I'm having to take care not to ground the sump in all sorts of places and in a way never experienced before in decades of driving.
 Alfa Romeo 156 - An Alfa owner at last.....well a third of an Alfa! - Armel Coussine
Are you sure one of you won't want it as a car once the gearbox has been changed? Sounds like my sort of jalopy actually. I particularly like the sound of the body scuffs.

Banger racing indeed!
>>>Sounds like my sort of jalopy actually. I particularly like the sound of the body scuffs.

Well then draw your £300-£750 cash, head off to Ebay and take your pick. We need to swell the ranks on here a little.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 11 Feb 13 at 11:34
It will definitely not be banger raced! The rally is basically a cross-continent road trip with a group of other like minded people, in cheap cars, with a big party at the end, and then either scrap the car, or drive it home (we will do the latter, if it's capable of making it). Some people decorate their cars, but it isn't compulsory.

To be quite honest, if I could afford to run it, and if it proved reliable enough, I would happily have it as my daily driver in principle. It's a really nice car. I'm looking forward to giving it the odd blast about in the run up to the event, just to keep it free of cobwebs, you understand.

It made a fair dent in £30 worth of petrol over 60 miles though, so it would never work as a daily driver in practice unless my mileage dropped considerably.
Last edited by: DP on Mon 11 Feb 13 at 12:00
You called it a banger style rally ;-) Sounds a bit like the Mongol Rally but a 156 is not in the spirit of that so it must be another rally. In fact the 156 wouldn't be allowed in the Mongol Rally.

Sounds fun though.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 11 Feb 13 at 12:17
 Alfa Romeo 156 - An Alfa owner at last.....well a third of an Alfa! - corax
>> The only thing I would comment on re the rally is are you sure it's
>> the right car due to their short travel maintenance intensive (arms/wishbones/bushes) suspension and minimal ground
>> clearance... I'm having to take care not to ground the sump in all sorts of
>> places and in a way never experienced before in decades of driving.

Stick a couple of these on

tinyurl.com/d4s4heb
>>>basically a cross-continent road trip

Probably be OK with better roads than ours then.
There are a few candidates event-wise. This is one of the favourites:

www.streetsafari.com/streetsafari-events/staples2naples/

www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=642113

Brilliant images from last year.
>> www.corsasport.co.uk/board/viewthread.php?tid=642113
>>
>> Brilliant images from last year.

Perfect. :-)
Doesn't sound nearly as much fun or adventurous as the Mongol Rally. Still probably enjoyable.
>> Doesn't sound nearly as much fun or adventurous as the Mongol Rally. Still probably enjoyable.

The Mongol Rally is spectacular, but would be a pipe dream. I can't take 3-5 weeks off work in one go (I only get 5 in an entire year), and frankly I don't really know anyone who can.

SWMBO also wouldn't wear it.

Staples to Naples is 4 days, and runs over a weekend. Much more accessible to working folk.
I think the Mongol Rally is for students and the rich. Even if you get enough time off work... what employer would let you take it all at the same time.

I'm lucky this year because I carried a few days over to this year and bought an extra 5. So total (excluding bank holidays) for 2013 currently stands at 38! :-)
>> I think the Mongol Rally is for students and the rich. Even if you get
>> enough time off work... what employer would let you take it all at the same
>> time.

Our policy is that no more than 10 days holiday can be taken in any one time, unless there are "exceptional circumstances". And I wouldn't fancy my chances of convincing them that driving an old shed to Mongolia is exceptional, or at least not in the way they mean ;-)

Our holiday policy is very inflexible. You can carry 2-3 days over if you need to, although this depends on your line manager. Officially they don't like you doing it. No facility to buy or sell additional holiday either.

My sister in law used to work for a company which would let you sell your holiday back to the company at any time in return for your full daily salary.

My Asian ex-pat colleagues don't take their holiday, or if they do, it's a handful of days. Taking holiday shows a lack of commitment :-(

Nonsense to us lazy Westerners, of course.
>> My sister in law used to work for a company which would let you sell your holiday back to
>> the company at any time in return for your full daily salary.

The rate for buying/selling holidays for us is pro-rata the number of days worked in the year divided into your base pre-tax salary. So provided you can afford to forgo the salary it's not so bad but selling them is poor value. Better than wasting them though! The decision to buy/sell will depend on whether you're a lower or higher rate tax payer. Selling if you're a higher rate tax payer is a bad idea and buying not so bad. I think I am worse of by about £30/month to get another 5 days for the year (approx figure).

And next year I don't intend doing it. The plan was (still is I hope) to get to Crete a few times this year to look around. Family medical problems stopped us getting away earlier this year.

>> My Asian ex-pat colleagues don't take their holiday, or if they do, it's a handful of days.
>> Taking holiday shows a lack of commitment :-(

Sounds a lot like working hours in Japan. You don't go home until your boss has left the office. But he can't leave until his boss has gone. And his boss until... you get the idea. Long days even if you've finished work for the day.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Mon 11 Feb 13 at 17:51
Latest Forum Posts