Motoring Discussion > In Car Video Recorder Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 29

In Car Video Recorder - BobbyG
I have occasionally though about getting one of these if they were cheap and discreet enough, for insurance purposes more than anything.

However, with a good possibility of an American Road Trip in the summer, I am now thinking a bit more about them, especially to record the journey for later editing.

Now I know about Roadhawk and their prices, but there seems to be a glut of these types of cameras on ebay starting off from about £20.

Has anyone bought a cheap camera and would recommend it?
 In Car Video Recorder - Falkirk Bairn
You get what you pay for and for £20................
 In Car Video Recorder - Zero
I use my smartphone and a £9.99 suck on windscreen mount.
 In Car Video Recorder - TheManWithNoName
Bobby, you could try a Crocolis HD

www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKeLtQ3J6pU&list=UUoxdxmHrbiFU2FXe6as-dKw&index=28
 In Car Video Recorder - VxFan
>> I use my smartphone and a £9.99 suck on windscreen mount.

Does it still work when someone calls you / you make a call though?
If you are videoing and you get a call, yes. I dont make calls while driving, too busy lighting my fag and drinking the coffee, being a bloke I cant multitask.
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 11 Feb 13 at 14:26
 In Car Video Recorder - Videodoctor
I bought this one and have been very pleased with it.The quality is fine.You just need a SD card extra to put in it.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/110707467865?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp3998.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D110707467865%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1
 In Car Video Recorder - bathtub tom
I've got one the same as Videodoctor. Seems fine for the money.
 In Car Video Recorder - Dave_
>> I use my smartphone and a £9.99 suck on windscreen mount

Which mount Z? I keep meaning to get one for the lorry but don't want to lash out a tenner on any old cradle which may or may not be any good...
Oh its some unnamed one I chose in halfords. Works well tho.
 In Car Video Recorder - Dave_
Thanks, I assumed they'd be £24.99 or so there. I'd rather play with one before buying than choose one off the 'bay based on price and photos alone, I'll have a look next time I'm passing.

Which app do you use? I've got Daily Roads Voyager for Android, seems brilliant to me.
I downloaded the Daily Roads Voyager - here's a clip of how it looks on my Sony Xperia Arc
youtu.be/ePwq9c-xYl8

Quite impressed at it for no cost - obviously could do with a more secure windscreen mount and if you view it on the phone it does show the speed you are doing. Think it can be downloaded with this info on it but not sure how to or bothered about it.

Interesting to see how the phone camera deals with LED lights.

Phone does get quite warm during use and sometimes any incoming phone calls seem to stop the recording (but not all calls, strangely)

Obviously would struggle to capture a passing number plate but could be used as evidence I guess where you are involved in an accident .

And this is the first time I have uploaded a video to youtube so no doubt have made a complete backside of it!
Zero, have you got a link to this mount? Assume it clamps the phone in landscape mode?
Have bought a couple of eBay but either too much movement or too big to be kept on the windscreen!
Ideally looking for something that goes behind the rear view mirror and thus not in my field of vision.
 In Car Video Recorder - Duncan
Zero has flounced. hasn't he?
 In Car Video Recorder - FocalPoint
"Zero has flounced. hasn't he?"

No such luck - or too early to tell. He was on yesterday afternoon, baiting Pat in another thread.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Thu 21 Mar 13 at 11:29
>> "Zero has flounced. hasn't he?"
>>
>> No such luck - or too early to tell. He was on yesterday afternoon, baiting
>> Pat in another thread.
>
Would you care to ask Pat if she felt "baited"
 In Car Video Recorder - BiggerBadderDave
"Would you care to ask Pat if she felt "baited""

I missed her baiting.
 In Car Video Recorder - Runfer D'Hills
You'll go blind.
Who said that?
 In Car Video Recorder - Pat
I didn't feel baited at all...it's the sort of 'tough' comment I've always been used to at work, and is strangely reassuring at a time like that.

Pat
"I use my smartphone and a £9.99 suck"

Business doing well Zero?
>> "I use my smartphone and a £9.99 suck"
>>
>> Business doing well Zero?

Comes and goes, up and down, you know how it is.
 In Car Video Recorder - Robin O'Reliant

>> Comes and goes, up and down, you know how it is.
>>

Leaves a sour taste when it goes down, doesn't it?
Well, 40 secs or so into my journey today, a tyre fell from under a Mitie van which I just managed to miss.
youtu.be/Q53c1IOh0-U

But proof that this type of set up is no good at capturing reg plates !!
You need to angle the camera down, too much visible light sky causes the camera to under expose the road bit.
Yeah was thinking that it seemed to have a lot of sky in the pictures - will have another playabout tomorrow.
What holder did you get? Does your picture vibrate as much as mine?
 In Car Video Recorder - Armel Coussine
'The witness claimed that her horrific nine-hour ordeal was recorded in full on the accused's in-car video equipment...

Police claim they lost the footage while it was being passed from nick to nick amid howls of coarse laughter...'
difficult to explain how the holder is fixed, but no it does not vibrate. I'll take a piccy and send you a sample vid to explain
 In Car Video Recorder - henry k
Has anyone tried Nextcam Incarcam 402g professional v Roadhawk ?
I ended up buying the DR32 camera and have been delighted with it - used it on a road trip to the states to capture scenes like driving down Vegas Boulevard, Hoover Dam etc and its also on my car permanently recording away and I don't really need to touch it one week to the next.

Have a look on Youtube for Techmoan 's channel
www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFB79814F24001328

he tests a lot of in car cameras and gives good feedback
Latest Forum Posts