Motoring Discussion > Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb Miscellaneous
Thread Author: hawkeye Replies: 17

Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - hawkeye
I pass the two lay-bys near Catterick racecourse fairly often. It's not unusual to see a lorry parked there for the night with the wheels on one side up on the kerb giving a distinct lean to the cab. As a caravanner I go to some lengths to get our sleeping quarters on an even keel, so why aim for a deliberate tilt?

Any lorry drivers care to shed any light?
 Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - Pat
If you sleep with your head at the kerb end then the camber of the road (and layby) means you're sleeping downhill.

Of course, I always slept with my head on the offside, but I used female logic!

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Wed 13 Feb 13 at 09:01
 Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - TeeCee
>>
>> Of course, I always slept with my head on the offside, but I used female
>> logic!
>>

Could have done with some of that the other day. A bloke came to collect a (seriously heavy) motorbike off me the other day and brought a van and a plank of wood. Could we get the thing up the plank into the van? Could we heck.

We struggled for an hour and then he had a bright idea. He turned the van around so it was facing down the steep hill outside my house and with all four wheels on the road rather than two on the kerb.

Having the plank nearly horizontal rather than at a 45 degree angle did the trick.....
 Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - legacylad
Same principle as my lightweight backpacking.I always try to pitch my tent on a slight slope, so i sleep with head raised, feet elevated on rucsac.
Ground drainage is just a bonus and irrelevant in this case!
 Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - Roger.
You could use a nappy instead!
 Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - Boxsterboy
Never mind trucks with their wheels on the curb for overnight stops, I amazed at the number of foreign trucks whose drivers seem to think it OK to park up on the hard shoulder of the M25 for the night. The junction with the M3 seems popular because the hard shoulder is slightly wider there.
 Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - MD
The Old Bill are only likely to nick those who can speak the lingo. Do I blame them......................No.
 Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - -
Luckily i don't have to overnight any more (please Lord keep it like this) but its nigh on impossible to find anywhere to park when its your own country and you know your way around, can understand why foreigners park on wide motorway sections.

Less likely to lose his Diesel to the non travel mob too.

edit, the lean isn't deliberate H, its to get the cab as far as possible from the main road, often turned in at an angle, so if another lorry driver falls asleep at the wheel or wanders off lane less likely to hit the cab of the parked lorry....also many of these laybys are too narrow, less likely to get mirrors knocked off by other layby loungers.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Wed 13 Feb 13 at 21:11
or Doggers?
 Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - R.P.
A civil engineer (yes a properly qualified engineer) is driven to distraction by lorries parking on kerbs, their weight bears down on services often less than a 150mm below the surface causing mega damage.
Services at 150mm deep???
 Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - R.P.
Cabling...
 Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - Ambo
Cars round our way often park with two wheels on the pavement when there is no need to. It seems chic to do this in such a way as to leave the tyres half on and half off the kerb (a possible cause of tyre failure?). I can't understand why are not fined since there is bound to be damage whose cost, ultimately, is borne by the council tax payer.
 Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - Manatee
You might expect them to figure out that putting the cables 6" under the kerb is a bad idea.
Thanks to all who replied. I think GB has it; as far away from the road as possible.

PS anyone out there admit to being a "layby lounger", a phrase I quite like ?
 Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - Pat
hawkeye, if you ask two lorry drivers the best way from London to Glasgow you'll get at least six different answers;)

Pat
>> hawkeye, if you ask two lorry drivers the best way from London to Glasgow you'll
>> get at least six different answers;)
>>
>> Pat
>>

Same in any profession.

The lay-bys in question have negligible camber so I couldn't see the use of the kerb to level the cab applied. I could see that lorry drivers wanted to sleep undisturbed by the sound of ripping curtainsides and vanishing mirrors.

PS after being in field sales for countless years I hope I would never need to ask anyone the way from London to Glasgow.
 Lorries overnighting with wheels on the kerb - PhilW
"if you ask two lorry drivers the best way from London to Glasgow you'll get at least six different answers;)"

I drove Glasgow to E Mids on Tues and changed my route at least 3 times on way down!!
(I might add, mainly due to traffic reports - ended up doing A/M74, M6, A66, A1, M18, M1. but could have done.............endless possibilities!
Latest Forum Posts