Motoring Discussion > I didn't believe it the previous time it happen... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Arctophile Replies: 13

I didn't believe it the previous time it happen... - Arctophile
... and I don't believe it now.

tinyurl.com/cxv6gce

Link to Telegraph regarding a "runaway" Renault on a motorway.
Last edited by: Arctophile on Wed 13 Feb 13 at 21:22
 I didn't believe it the previous time it happen... - Robin O'Reliant
I dunno, it is a Renault.
 I didn't believe it the previous time it happen... - MD
>>Around an hour later, his petrol tank finally ran dry and he managed to swerve into a ditch in Alveringem in Belgium. ???

He evaded everything at 125 MPH and when the sparks ran out he went into a ditch!

How many people (be honest) have driven at 125 MPH let alone for mile upon mile.

I touched cloth (as a passenger) at 146MPH in a Turbo Technics XR4i on the A40 at Northolt. Never again I tell you. Well not on the road anyway.
 I didn't believe it the previous time it happen... - Zero

>> I touched cloth (as a passenger) at 146MPH in a Turbo Technics XR4i on the
>> A40 at Northolt. Never again I tell you. Well not on the road anyway.

Yeah, that pothole just after the target roundabout is a real spine tingler.
 I didn't believe it the previous time it happen... - Manatee
They must be told in reporter school that in any article about a vehicle out if control the verb 'plough' must be used. What do they think it means?

Mr Lecerf has filed a legal complaint after his car, specially adapted for disabled drivers, jammed, forcing him to plough all round the northern French coastal motorway.

It reads like a google translate job anyway - I wonder if they plough in France too.
 I didn't believe it the previous time it happen... - Tigger
I was skeptical, until I read that it had been adapted to hand controls, which I can imagine being easy to mess up.
 I didn't believe it the previous time it happen... - VxFan
So, did this particular model not have an ignition key or method of selecting neutral then?

"Mr Lecerf ended up in a Belgian ditch surrounded by a fleet of French police cars when his petrol finally ran out."

Must have been a big ditch then ;)
Sounds like a scene from the Blues Brothers where all the police cars crash into one another.
 I didn't believe it the previous time it happen... - Cliff Pope
I'm very suspicious of these alleged cases - has any work been done on a possible Stuck Throttle Panic Syndrome ("Stops") ?

I'm out of touch of course with modern cars, so nothing would really surprise me - but is there really no way of simply turning off the ignition or at least putting it out of gear?

I did once have a real stuck throttle incident with a Triumph years ago. The throttle return spring came unhooked. I switched off, coasted to the side, hooked the spring on again, having crimped the end a bit more. But no police, no trip to Belgium, no ditch.
I had a throttle pedal stick on a 4.2 XJ6 that I had just repossessed, about 30 years ago. Full throttle launch on to a roundabout. A bit stressful but I did switch it off before I would have been forced to exit the roundabout at a random tangent.

It probably helped that the key was on the steering column like that of the MK 1 Golf I had then, though iirc it was on the "wrong" side. I carried on when I'd got my breath back and my pulse rate down, but no more full throttle.
 I didn't believe it the previous time it happen... - Mapmaker
An indicated 100mph I think is pretty terrifying to somebody used only to driving at 70-80. On an autobahn of course, on a dry road first thing on a Sunday morning with nothing else around. Wouldn't fancy holding on at that speed for very long, let alone 125.
 I didn't believe it the previous time it happen... - Londoner
>> Wouldn't fancy holding on at that speed for very long, let alone 125.
>>
With the added thought in the back of the mind "What if I have a blow-out at this speed?"
 I didn't believe it the previous time it happen... - Robin O'Reliant
>
>> With the added thought in the back of the mind "What if I have a
>> blow-out at this speed?"
>>

Am I the only one who misread "Blow-out"?
 I didn't believe it the previous time it happen... - henry k
>>Wouldn't fancy holding on at that speed for very long, let alone 125.
This was a skilled driver who could sail through several toll booths and not even graze a door mirror :-)
You wouldn't have wanted to be in the toll booth.
Latest Forum Posts