Motoring Discussion > Insurance/SORN question (yawn!) Legal Questions
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 7

Insurance/SORN question (yawn!) - Badwolf
Hello,

Yes, I know - another SORN question!

My step-daughter is selling her car. It is currently on eBay, ending a week on Saturday (2nd March). The insurance runs out on the 28th of this months. She is getting a company car, so does not need or want to renew her insurance. Should she go through the rigmarole of declaring the car off road for the probably three days it will be taxed, but uninsured?

Thanks, as always, for your assistance :-)
 Insurance/SORN question (yawn!) - Bromptonaut
Does the tax also expire on 28/2?

Irrespective she should SORN. IIRC you can do it on line so not too much rigamarole.

Don't forget that if it's subject to SORN it needs to be kept off the public highway.
 Insurance/SORN question (yawn!) - Cliff Pope
A complication is that SORNing it will cancel the road tax, and I think you are supposed to send in the disc - certainly if you are applying for a refund.
But you will need to have decided whether the car is being sold with or without tax. For some people buying a cheap car (this is eBay) having tax is a selling point - it's one less complication when arranging collection.

The tax expires at the end of April. I just think that it's a whole load of unnecesary bother to SORN it, cancel the tax and then make the car legally 'undriveable' for the new owner, for the sake of a few days. Yet another example of the ordinary, law-abiding, tax-paying citizen being inconvenienced because of the actions of the minority.

Providing the car is insured by the new owner by the time it is picked up (the ad on eBay stipulates that the car must be collected by 5th March), I'd have thought that the 'system' won't yet have caught up?
 Insurance/SORN question (yawn!) - brettmick
Buy a short term (4 week) policy - otherwise people can't test drive it (on their cover) or if it gets nicked or damaged you are going to be out of pocket.
Luckily, the problem no longer exists as the car has been sold :-)
 Insurance/SORN question (yawn!) - Aretas
I have an elderly friend who's wife has had to go into a home. This has, obviously been a traumatic few months for him, during which he discovered his car tax was two months out of date. A phone call to the DVLA to explain resulted in him being told not to worry about old tax or SORN, but just to re-tax from the current date. Human beings do exist in Swansea.
 Insurance/SORN question (yawn!) - -
Human beings do exist in Swansea.
>>

In the course of a tragic event in my life some years ago i found great kindness and understanding from all companies and officials involved, long may that continue.

And unbelievable cold calculating meanness form one or two older private individuals who to look at you'd think butter wouldn't melt in their mouths.

Swansea i have to deal with every time my HGV licence is renewed (eye injury as child), always very decent the Taffs.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Sun 24 Feb 13 at 22:04
Latest Forum Posts