Motoring Discussion > Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? Buying / Selling
Thread Author: Hacko Replies: 20

Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - Hacko
My granddaughter is 17 soon and I may have chance to buy (with her father!) a friend's Dec 2002 Polo 1.2 SE. Any ideas of valuation appreciated, please. It's done just 25k, serviced annually by VW dealer where she bought it; got elec windows and boot tray. She bought it from new, so one owner/driver; in blue and 3 door with current MoT. It looks like it sounds: very clean. Only "work" it's ever had was coil packs replaced under recall.

EH
 Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - Dieselboy
£1500?
 Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - Zero
This is going to surprise you, but you'll need north of 2.5 grand (as much as 3 grand) to buy such a motor at the dealers.
 Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - Dieselboy
Crikey.
 Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - Bill Payer
>> This is going to surprise you, but you'll need north of 2.5 grand (as much
>> as 3 grand) to buy such a motor at the dealers.
>>

Well, maybe, But ring a few dealers up and say you'be got one for sale and see how much they offer. £800 ish?

>> Well, maybe, But ring a few dealers up and say you'be got one for sale
>> and see how much they offer. £800 ish?

Thats whats car dealing is all about.
>> Thats whats car dealing is all about.
>>
Yes, but the OP shouldn't have to pay dealer retail price for it.
So why should I sell it a "mate" for 800 quid, when I can flog it off my drive for 2k? Easy.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 24 Feb 13 at 23:12
 Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - Dave_
>> you'll need north of 2.5 grand (as much as 3 grand) to buy such a motor at the dealers

I was going to say, given what I've seen of the motor trade lately, £2495+ for a 52 Polo.
 Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - ....
You'd be surprised what these Spanish rust boxes fetch.

Don't get all starry eyed over the VW badge. We sold my wife's '97 P plate 1.6GL for a ridiculous amount in 2006. Rust was in the doors and seems but people still wanted to throw money at us for it.
 Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - Armel Coussine
I took against early Polos as I did against early Fiestas, after driving good examples of both. The recent models are supposed to be much improved. I like the idea of 3-cylinder cars.
>> I like the idea
>> of 3-cylinder cars.
>>
If the one in the OP is a 3cyl then the early ones had a lot of issues with chain tensioners failing which can result in the pistons hitting the valves. VW changed the design at least a couple of times. I think anything from late 2004 is OK.
 Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - Oldgit
>> I took against early Polos as I did against early Fiestas, after driving good examples
>> of both. The recent models are supposed to be much improved. I like the idea
>> of 3-cylinder cars.
>>

Well, I have driven two examples of very low mileage 3-cyl Polos as dealer loan cars while my Golf was having a 'bumper' damage repair sorted out and then an associated boot airvent water leak done as well.
Whilst they were quite nippy cars, I frankly wouldn't like to have to live with those rather rough sounding engines for too long. The roughness was most noticeable on first starting up and then after that there was a lot of gear changing to keep to engine on song, so to speak.
 Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - Duncan
Autotrader show them from £1400 to £2999.
The autotrader on my machine shows them from £2695 to £3495

Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - Duncan
>> The autotrader on my machine shows them from £2695 to £3495

Link to Autotrader

tinyurl.com/bbymdzf
Thats got 114k miles on it.

We are talking 25k miles in the OP. Try correcting your search parameters.
 Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - Jacks
Reading the OP - with no knowledge of the market on the Polo, my first thought was about £1200-1500. I'm shocked how much an 11 year old car can fetch

There's one near me up at 3 grand - and that dealer is more of a "trade centre" type of dealer as opposed to to top end.

It just shows the value of that badge and the power of the still remembered advert

.............if only everything was as reliable as a VW etc

And at 25K miles in 11 years there's trouble in store
 Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - Fenlander
I'd say it's worth £1500 but most places would ask £2500+. Older used car prices are very odd at the moment. Seems to me that similar tidy small cars may be inflated because of the very high demand for clean low insurance models around this age/price for the high proportion of teens getting their own cars after passing the test. So far every one of my daughters friends who have passed their test have been given/bought a car just like this... and they're all still at school!
Last edited by: Fenlander on Mon 25 Feb 13 at 11:55
 Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - Manatee
I got Boy a new Panda for £5600 in 2005 and told him he'd be buying his own thereafter. He still has it. If we'd been buying 11 year old cars I imagine we'd be on the third or fourth by now, never mind the repair bills. Makes the older used option look expensive.

The problem of course is insurance for young drivers - not many cars fit the bill.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 25 Feb 13 at 13:20
 Volkswagen Polo III - What's it worth? - zookeeper
im running a mk 3 polo at the mo... check the hot air blower works on all the settings..the resistor packs tend to go on them ...easy fix tho tenner on fleabay
Latest Forum Posts