Motoring Discussion > Reversing sensors Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 26

Reversing sensors - BobbyG
Still can't see the point or need for this.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXDOuiFDYo4

If you can't park the car yourself, how good is your control of it going to be from a smart phone??

Think I prefer the Italian take on it

www.youtube.com/watch?v=89-2iCvKWeM

Reversing sensors - idle_chatterer
>>
>> If you can't park the car yourself, how good is your control of it going
>> to be from a smart phone??
>>

Not sure if you refer to parking sensors in general or this auto-parking functionality in particular ? I've opted for parking sensors on our last 5 cars and I find them very helpful, similarly I like auto-dimming mirrors and auto wipers. Do I need these features ? No I probably don't, I merely like them and find them convenient.

This auto parking functionality is not a huge leap for the sensing / computing capabilities of even the cheapest car these days. Features such as this and collision avoidance seem to me to be sensible and practical innovations.
 Reversing sensors - rtj70
An option on my VW would auto park like that. It would need the driver to operate the throttle. It would have got into that space in one manoeuvre.

I have parking sensors though and they are very good. Audio and visual feedback on the sat nav. I think others copied VW with the visuals.
 Reversing sensors - Londoner
BMW's "Surround view" is much better than that!
It presents a view on the satnav screen as if you are hovering above the car.
Terrific, providing it works of course!

I'm terrible at parking. I need all the help that I can get. I can't judge the front of the car very easily - it just curves away from view.
 Reversing sensors - BobbyG
I have reversing sensors and swear by them - wouldn't consider buying a car without them as I have got used to them. Have even fitted them to the works Transit.

However, I do not see the point in having a remote control to get out the car, stand in the middle of the street and remote control it in. If you can't park it with the sensors, you won't be able to use a touch screen phone I guess!!
 Reversing sensors - R.P.
I popped to a supermarket for lunch yesterday - there was a 62 reg Citroen Van (Berlingo equivalent) operated by on of those opted out Council companies - it was reversing accompanied by the loudest reversing horn I've ever heard. Health and Safety gone totally mad.
 Reversing sensors - Cliff Pope
Not impressed. It turned an easy one-move parking operation into a pathetic waste of time.

I'd have nipped into that space in the time it took the driver to get out and fiddle with the remote control.
 Reversing sensors - Crankcase
I imagine there would be all sorts of issues over who was "driving". Nobody, officer, it just ran over that toddler by itself when the phone battery died. Surely you have to be IN the blasted car to take control in an emergency. What an odd idea.

I do use the self park for those kind of spaces quite often, as it's quick and easy to set up, but almost never use the parallel park feature. The traffic builds up behind while you press buttons wildly on the screen (no, not THAT side of the road you heap of junk! What do you mean, turn the wheel a bit to the left first? I'm too far forward? Why didn't you tell me that before I started! And so on).

Last edited by: Crankcase on Tue 26 Feb 13 at 08:25
 Reversing sensors - sherlock47
Love to see it when the adjacent cars are parked upto (or on) the white lines. Owners return and find they cannot open the driver doors.

However on a sensible note it could allow parking densities to be increased by maybe 20-30%, with a decrease in parking charges :)

The biggest worry may be tyhe Valeo heritage? At one time French electrics made the Prince of Darkness products look positively well engineered. Remember the French invented the scart standard!

In writing this i came across www.mez.co.uk/lucas.html - well worth a browse.
 Reversing sensors - Ambo
I encountered an insurance problem with sensors on a new Huyndai. They were fitted before I took delivery, by a Hyundai main dealer, using Hyundai-approved parts. The insurer refused cover on the gounds they were not original equipment.

1. How daft is that?

2. Aren't all sensors fitted this way, rather than in the factory?
 Reversing sensors - Zero
>> I encountered an insurance problem with sensors on a new Huyndai. They were fitted before
>> I took delivery, by a Hyundai main dealer, using Hyundai-approved parts. The insurer refused cover
>> on the gounds they were not original equipment.
>>
>> 1. How daft is that?

Very, misunderstanding probably.

2. Aren't all sensors fitted this way, rather than in the factory?

No.

How did they find out, BTW?

Reversing sensors - mikeyb

>> 2. Aren't all sensors fitted this way, rather than in the factory?
>>

Nah, I'm sure most are factory fit. Ones on our Sharan were standard on our model, and on the C5 they were an option, but fitted at the factory.

Not got them on the Volvo, but not really a problem as its not that big plus the corners are easy to place (much easier than the C5)
 Reversing sensors - Old Navy
>> I imagine there would be all sorts of issues over who was "driving". Nobody, officer,
>> it just ran over that toddler by itself when the phone battery died. Surely you
>> have to be IN the blasted car to take control in an emergency. What an
>> odd idea.
>>

You don't have to be in the vehicle to be responsible for accidents, it can even be parked.

tinyurl.com/bg9njve
Last edited by: Old Navy on Tue 26 Feb 13 at 08:58
 Reversing sensors - sherlock47
You don't have to be in the vehicle to be responsible for accidents, it can even be parked.

tinyurl.com/bg9njve

Things get crazier in the courts every day! This warrants a thread of its own.
 Reversing sensors - -
Visibility and a reasonable lock are important considerations for us when car hunting, especially with a larger car and RWD usually provides the answer though needn't be as anyone who's driven a Pug Boxer especially or Tranny FWD vans will know.

The most important thing IMO are decent well sited door mirrors, this is one of the several reasons i couldn't buy an Insignia or similar, mirrors are useless.

Like reversing sensors if fitted, enables you to take advantage of the full length of a parallel park reverse, plus if you have something van/pick up/4x4ish they are valuable tool in case someone or thing moved behind you.

Have used reverse cameras but probably not long enough to get used, useful safety feature on big vehicle but can't reverse by them to save me life.

Wouldn't trust a machine to park for me, even if it wasn't a faff.
 Reversing sensors - R.P.
Following a newish Royal Mail van today on the way home - Peugeot or Citroen - big dent on the nearside rear bumper, looked like a bollard impact given the impression that had been made- one of the four reversing sensors crushed in the impact....
 Reversing sensors - Zero
Nicole punched one of her reversing sensors through the bumper....
 Reversing sensors - R.P.
Oh ? Fit of pique ?
 Reversing sensors - Zero
>> Oh ? Fit of pique ?

No - crap driving
 Reversing sensors - Runfer D'Hills
>>punched one of her reversing sensors through...

What did she think the beeping noise was?

I got thumped the other night but not by or in a car. About 02.00 on Sunday night / Monday morning a house alarm near us went off and didn't stop for quite a while. I was aware of it but as I knew I had to be up at 04.00 I decided I could ignore it.

"She" of course nudged me to ask if I was awake. I replied that I wasn't and so she asked how I could possibly sleep through that racket.

I unwisely replied that I was married and could therefore easily block out incessant whining...
 Reversing sensors - Zero
>> >>punched one of her reversing sensors through...
>>
>> What did she think the beeping noise was?

Lord knows, probably sounds like crunching door mirrors maybe?

Reversing sensors - Crankcase
Could we try an experiment? Humph's story amused me sufficiently enough to read out loud, and has just resulted, to my chagrin, in an unexplained but I imagine sisterly thump for me from Mrs C.

Is this a woman thing? Can someone else try and report back?

Reversing sensors - -
>> Is this a woman thing? Can someone else try and report back?

Well unwisely i did as you requested CC must be getting dafter in me old age, a sharp intake of breath followed by 'does 'e like 'ospital food or what'?
 Reversing sensors - Old Navy
>> >> Is this a woman thing? Can someone else try and report back?
>>

I have the ultimate excuse for selective hearing, having been trained in the use of submarine sonar. Mrs on does not believe it for a second and has been known to throw things when being ignored. :-)
 Reversing sensors - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Is this a woman thing? Can someone else try and report back?
>>

I don't think you need to conduct the experiment to predict that only women will react adversly to a joke about incessant whining?
 Reversing sensors - mikeyb
>> Following a newish Royal Mail van today on the way home - Peugeot or Citroen
>> - big dent on the nearside rear bumper, looked like a bollard impact given the
>> impression that had been made- one of the four reversing sensors crushed in the impact....
>>

Think they must be due a good few new vans. Stacks of them in Portbury docks already painted up with royal mail
 Reversing sensors - Fursty Ferret
>> Think they must be due a good few new vans. Stacks of them in Portbury docks already painted up with royal mail

You should see the dent I put in a hire van after driving a car with parking sensors for three years...
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 27 Feb 13 at 10:44
Latest Forum Posts